Honda Warranty on a Trike

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Honda Warranty on a Trike

Postby 2008retiredplb » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:26 am

Does anyone know anything about how converting a GL1800 to a Trike affects the Honda warranty?
Does it void the complete Honda warranty or just parts that have be changed or removed?

My understanding is that it will void the factory warranty and any extended warranty on the bike. No one tells you that when you look at the trike kits. I just want to know for sure before I make the change and find that my 7 year warranty is no good. After paying an extra $800 for the extended warranty it would be a shame to lose it.

I know many people selling newer trikes list them with Honda warranty remaining until such and such a date, which I think is false. I also understand that Honda reps will take serial numbers of trikes at rallies and report them to Honda so when you go in for warranty work you find the warranty is no good.

Would appreciate any information on this subject.

"Love to ride and ride to love"

dmummert
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing

Re: Honda Warranty on a Trike

Postby dmummert » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi,
I do not know anything about voiding the warranty on a trike, but I just purchased a 2008 GL1800 with a trike kit already installed. The bike came with the remaining warranty and I purchased an extended warranty and noone stated that the warranty would be voided witht he kit attached.

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:48 am

Your dealer may not let Honda know that the bike has been triked. Also is the extended warranty from Honda or an aftermarket warranty?
As long as you have it serviced at your dealer you may not have a problem, but if you take a trip and have need of warranty work the dealer may report that it has been triked and Honda will disallow coverage under warranty.
You might be wise to check with your dealer on this.

I am thinking about triking my bike but because of this I have to rethink that idea. My bike is a 2009 with warranty until 2016. Would hate to lose all those years and extra dollars spent because warranty is no good if triked.

Legally Honda has the right to pull your warranty because it has been altered from the original design use. If you read your owners manual it states some interesting things, like not designed to pull a trailer, not designed to carry over 417 pounds of passengers and gear, that includes added extras installed by dealer or owner, and do not to alter the bike from original.

I know many do not realize their warranty is in jeopardy if the bike has been triked.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 am

Call Honda Customer Service (1-866-784-1870) to get the answer.
This has been cussed and discussed many times on many web sights.
What you will find is:
1. A lot depends on which dealer you go to.
2. Depends on if the factory rep gets involved and wants to inspect the bike.
3. The Hannigan web sight is the only one I know of that tells you installing a trike conversion will void your warranty.
4. If the warranty issue is drive train related and you have triked, you will be extremely lucky if a repair is covered.

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm

I called my local Honda dealer and he told me that if Honda finds out that the bike has been triked the warranty will not be valid. The dealer will honor the warranty if Honda is not aware that the bike has been triked but if the rep is required to validate the warranty than Honda will void the warranty.

The next thing is if you are on a road trip and need warranty work from another Honda dealer and they report it as a trike than you are with out a warranty. You can never depend on another dealer covering warranty work when you are away from home.

I was considering triking my 2009 but have decided not to since I have an extended warranty that I paid like $800 for and would not want to lose that.

My other option is to trike the 2001 or trade one of the bikes for a bike that is out of warranty and has been triked already.

My personal opinon is that with the number of trikes out there now and more each year, that I would suspect Honda will be looking more closely at more bikes and asking if the bike has been triked. Now if you are a Honda dealer would you lie about a bike that was triked? I don't think any dealer would do that.

What we need to do is put pressure on Mother Honda to design a factory trike or do like Harley has done and partner with a trike company.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”