Stroke update

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Stroke update

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Today was another day of rehab. Your mind says you have done this before. But your body can't quite do it. You get angry because you have done this hundreds of times before with ease. How do you tell your mind it will come? The small things are much eaiser now, but the heavy things are still hard. I know I can ride the bike because I put it on a trailer lastnight and took it to my daughters boyfriends house to change the engine. YEP! I got an engine. Cost me a little more than I wanted, but the warenty I couldn't pass up!! Now I am looking for passenger arm rests for mama. The swing out style.
I went down to the shop after rehab to see the guys and mama called me. She said she just got a call from my doc. saying they have refered me to a hemotoligest. At first I didn't know what she was talking about. Then she said it was the same doc. my dad seen for his cancer before he died! Talk about a jaw droper and heart stoper!! They said I have something going wrong in my blood. I hope they are refering to my quick clotting. I cut myself and it clotts in about 30 sec's, unless I hit a vein...lol
I know there are alot of other things that it can be besides cancer, but thats the first thing that comes to mind and it won't leave!! :cry: I watched my dad go from Easter Sunday when he broke his hip to May 16th when he died in 05. 4 days before my birthday. Sucks don't it? After watching him, I can't say I want to go that route. But will see what they have to say.
There's only 1 of 3 ways I want to go.
1. With my family around me.
2. With my wife on top.
3. Riding my wing down the open road.

Hopfuly along time from now.
Thanks guys for letting me vent :D Your the tops!

How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: Stroke update

Postby maestro319 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:06 pm

You are in our prayers starfleet.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Hey Spring is coming and you have lots of work ahead of you, you gotta get that bike in perfect working order, but please don't over do it.. And keep that good attitude...

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:05 am

My wife had a severe stroke 3 years ago(the reason the bike sat up).Her blood was,as the doctor described it,Funny.They called it leukemia,Turned out just a bad spleen(this cleans and polishes the blood cells).Her blood was "fuzzy"(part of the cause of the stroke).Now on blood thinner and some kind of grease to keep it moving.She was told after 3 months of rehab that was all they could do for her recovery.Don't believe it.It's been 3 years.Still not so good,but persistence,good state of mind,and bull headed,she does improve a little at a time(got her on the bike Sunday).Don't stop rehab.It's like learning all over again.Frustrating because your brain already knows how.Don't quit on us,Were a selfish bunch and need you around.Virgil

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:49 pm

:D Thanks guys and gals :D

wingnzj
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Postby wingnzj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 pm

I have not had stroke that has caused and major damage but the drugs that have been used to attempt to kill the cancer has blown holes all over my memory. Things I know well I used to know just aren't there any more so it takes longer to get things done.

But we have to just keep movin on no matter what.

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:07 pm

I do have some memory problems. It's agravating too. I can hold a part in my hand and I know what it is and what is does, but I can't remember it's name. But on a good note. I talked to the other doctors office today to check on my appt. They did tell me it's not cancer :D It's called Cardiolipn antibody. I hoped it had something to do with my blood clotting so quickly, and it looks like it is. All the things I'm going though are exactly what I read on the internet! So hopefuly I can get off all these and get down to 1 or 2 :D

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:12 pm

My wife has some word to object and word to concept loss.She says the same thing.I found that by not filling in the word for her(unless she asked)helped.It's a memory restore process.Take Your time,don't exhaust yourself about the little things,You'll re-learn the the same way as when you first learned the word.

starfleetengineer
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Sorry I've been off line a few days. We just moved and getting the internet hooked back up was harder than kick starting an old harley :x They told me everything would be hooked up and running on the 11th! Ya right. They finaly got it lastnight. 5 days later and 6 hrs. after the fact!

But anyways, I went to go see the new doc. today. I am more confused when I left than when I went in. He reran the blood test to be sure of the results. " Will know next week." My blood is too thick, but the cause is still unknown. Right now I am dealing with the headach from hell :cry: I told him everything I am going through and he said it sounds like cardiolipn antibody. To many diffrent things can cause it, so I'm not even going to try and wright it down :lol: The last few days I have slept more than awake. Rehab is going good. I have this small 5"5 110lbs. lady doing it. Now I am 5"10 190lbs. I know I'm not that big, but compaired to her..... well :lol:
The grip in my rt. hand could crush her and she was glad she used the grip machine. I did gain 11.5 in my lt. arm. not sure if thats grip lbs. or inch lbs. or what. But with this move I am just wiped and aggravated cause the wife and kids won't let me do that much! :( I know it's for my own good, but still it's the fact that I "always" help everyone else and ask for none.
My engine showed up last monday so maybe this or next weekend I can start to put it in. Some day I hope to meet some of you to thank you in person for all your kind words and prayers :D
Thank you all.... And thank you Wingman for making this site up and allowing us all to share friendships :D
May God watch over each and everyone of you in your daily lives :!:

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:59 am

starfleetengineer - Hang in there buddy!!! I am a Critical Care Nurse and likely, from what you describe, the worst is over. There is NO reason that you cannot return to normal function after a CVA. The blood labs are all able to be controlled by meds. Take the coumadin or other "thinners" as prescribed and follow thru with your doc's recommendations for rehab. These meds will handle the whole problem with only minor weekly labs and a few diet restrictions, probably for only a short time. The hematology in this case has little to do with what happened with your Dad(sorry for your loss). Ignore the paranoid rantings of the anti - anticoagulant crowd. It may suck, but wouldn't you rather be back on the Wing? I'd be proud to ride with you this summer. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.
:? Harp

Return to “Goldwing Chat”