Do you guys trust motorcycle shops

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Do you guys trust motorcycle shops

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:59 pm

How are you guy's doing when it come to service and trusting others to work on your bike? Tell your story, tell your good points, I know it's not all bad..If your lucky enough to find a good mechanic that will still work on a older bike then do tell.. :D Do you guy's look like this :o or this :shock: when you get your bill, or like this :D ..

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Re: Do you guys trust motorcycle shops

Postby 86GW1200 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:10 pm

Most of the "established" shops are not trustworthy in this area. I am lucky though, in that we have a great guy that mostly works on HD. He does work on and understand our bikes. He charges a fair price and is easy to work with. He can do it all. I do all my own work, but I did have him mount my new tires and put in new valve stems. 80 bucks total. He also checked the rear grease and changed the gear oil for the shaft drive. :)

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:54 pm

don't trust them , my opion , i'm sure there are some good shops out there , but i havent found 1 in my area , but i know a couple of good shade trees that i would trust with my wing

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:47 am

When I lived in Ontario, I used CJ Cycles, out of Bolton, Ontario, as it was run by friends, and I knew and trusted them. Down here in Ohio, Kevin Hawthorne at Accurate Cycle Service really seems to know what he's doing, specializes in Goldwings, and is just a generally good guy, so I would have no trouble going to him.

I would not trust a dealer, anywhere, anytime.

scratcho
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I
1982 GL1100 S
1978 GL1000
1976 GL1000 x2

Postby scratcho » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:38 pm

I agree with you on Kevin. I don`t know who else is out there that will work on old bikes. It is worse with Harleys, I don`t want all my desirable vintage parts coming up missing when I get it back. I don`t know if Alsir is still in business, he used to be the man to see for older Goldwings in Cleveland.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 pm

i have a friend that use to own a shop that worked on nothing but wings. he closed up shop but still works out of his garage. i trust the family that owns freds bikes and trikes, also rob atamerican wings does good work. there is not much i can do as i have a pinched nerve but i do all i can
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Here in Elkhart we don't have anyone except North end cycle. I'll buy parts from them "when I have too". But other than that... Nope! The service guys might be good, but they pick and choose. The older bikes they won't touch! Not sure I would buy a bike from them eather. I seen the markup one time.... "UNREAL" The only other people that work on bikes are ones that work on Harleys and they won't touch anything else. Guess they have to much work from the Harley guys :P I would rather do my own work, then I can see what is what and know I'm not being taken. Besides, I got a great bunch of people on here with 99.9% of the answers. Why not use it? :D
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:35 pm

aaaaaaahhh I'm the one percent.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bobalooby1
Motorcycle: 1983 goldwing interstate

Postby bobalooby1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 pm

i have never had my wing in a shop. But others have that are friends and have never said anything negative regarding the work that was done. We have a Honda shop here that stopped selling wings a few years ago but kept the service dept. Still going! The only complaints i hear are about hourly service rates and the total cost of the repair. $$$ I'm lucky, i have the shop manual for my model year. ("83 1100") And acccess to tools, as well as a platform lift. plus a garage. But it is this forum that really saves the bucks! :D

mike in idaho
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000

Postby mike in idaho » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 pm

I worked for a Honda dealer, right out of high school, for a couple of years and a couple of years after that for the local Yamaha dealer. The price markup on most of the Honda parts was 100 percent, at the Yamaha place the dealer got a 50 percent discount on the parts price(same difference huh?). That sounds like a lot but it's in line with the price markup in most auto parts places. As far as labor goes, to get a capable mechanic and keep him around you need to pay a reasonable sum for wages, plus payroll expenses, benefits(if any) and overhead costs for the shop. How much is right for labor seems to be a mystery, a rate that is good for one geographic location might cause you to lose your ass in another town. The shop owner is entitled to a profit on his investment too, some of them do seem to abuse that privilege, hopefully the market will sort that out. I drive truck these days, I'd rather fix things but the truck pays better than any wrenching job around here.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:35 pm

I really have given this some major thought from both sides, it's only my opinion but it makes sense to me, for the owner of a bike, he expects his bike to be worked on right away when he takes it to a shop, always....he want's his bike done like yesterday, we have all worked on these bikes ourselves, you know all the stuff that needs to come off to get to one little thing..These guy's are trying to run a business, trying to stay afloat, trying to please everyone, [impossible] and when they can't, after years of this, frustration sets in, then they start to care a little less about their customers, he has to pay his mechanic's his building rent unless he owns it, insurance, cost of all the unit's on the floor, and it can all come crashing down and he's responsible, I don't think they over charge always, in many cases they do but most of them want you to come back..or buy a bike from them..I think we as American's need to think about this and not be so hasty or quick to pass judgement, including myself, something else is this, take a number because the guy that brought his bike in before you wants his first..There could be 10 bikes ahead of you..Now a Lawyer charges even more, and he probably can fix your bike, but he can get you out of trouble. A doctor or hospital charges an outrageous amount if you don't have insurance.. :shock: guy's should look at having your motorcycle serviced as a good thing, nobody want a crooked shop, but a good one you can trust.. :D I do not work in a motorcycle shop, I don't even work on anyone's bike but mine, so ya know.. :D

bandit12
Motorcycle: Honda 1977 Goldwing GL1000

Postby bandit12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:02 pm

I just got my wing back from a small place in winterhaven FL, the front of the store is a party rental place and the back is bike shop/rental storage. he did a lot of work and mounted R/tire $ 586.00 fix the elec.troble,water leak and got all lights to work. is was $$ well spent to get it up and runing after seting for 8.5 mons. put 32 miles on it today first ride in 10+yrs still needs some work yet. But he got so i can ride it. did buy i book for it so i can do some of the little stuff my self.

So some times a little hole in the wall could be yuor best place to find.
O and his labor runs $ 50.00 hr the LMS/delars are runing $85.00hr + :)

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:14 pm

Last year I found a motorcycle shop here on LI in West Babylon... I had them mount/balance my new tires and do an inspection on my GW. I spoke to one of the mechanics and I also believe one of the owners and was impressed. They do a lot of custom high power work on all sorts of exotica, but still had a sense of compassion for the classics. The shop was neat, tidy and impressive. If I had to have my old girl worked on by someone other than myself, I would give them a try.... I am sure they aren't cheap, but I think I would trust them more than the various different mechanics I have dealt with in the 30 years I've had my wing. I think if you trust someone you won't mind paying a little more, because they care about the customer and his/her ride.

Just my $0.02 worth...

The shop is called Powerhouse Motorcycles and they are located on Jersey Street in West Babylon.
Check their website out if you are local and are interested..

http://www.fastcycles.com/

I will be going back to them for my inspection in June and will be discussing some suspension upgrades with them at that time...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:12 pm

The only dealer I entrusted my Wing to was Action Honda in Hudson, FL. Scott the service manager is the Wing Guru.
Now I work on it myself because I cannot trust anyone.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:58 pm

I found a shop here I trust if the owner does the work. That's the problem he is so busy you don't know who's working on the bike. I know I'm smart than most there.That's why I started doing all my own work. even mount my own tires the old fashion way. That's what winter is for take your time do a little reseach on what your doing and you to can do it.Like air filter change most shops here want 4 hours labor plus parts.I did my first one last winter 2.5 hours from start to finish.Sally

rickyd
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby rickyd » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:02 pm

bandit12 wrote:I just got my wing back from a small place in winterhaven FL, the front of the store is a party rental place and the back is bike shop/rental storage. he did a lot of work and mounted R/tire $ 586.00 fix the elec.troble,water leak and got all lights to work. is was $$ well spent to get it up and runing after seting for 8.5 mons. put 32 miles on it today first ride in 10+yrs still needs some work yet. But he got so i can ride it. did buy i book for it so i can do some of the little stuff my self.

So some times a little hole in the wall could be yuor best place to find.
O and his labor runs $ 50.00 hr the LMS/delars are runing $85.00hr + :)

Where in Winterhaven, I live in Plant City and have sometimes looked for someone to do a few things, I did have some work done at Honda of winterhaven, one of the few dealers that will still mess with old wings, I have an 83

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:53 pm

I live in Port Orange, fl, and am really looking for a decent place to do some service work on my bike. I had a few minor things done by the local dealer in Holly Hill, tires mounted, fork springs checked etc. Since then have heard bad stories about quality, and price so have been kind of hesitent about going back. Anybody in the Daytona Beach area know of a good mechanic or shop please let me know.
Attachments
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:17 pm

I may be able to help you, I was given a shop by the director of the GWRRA Chapter in Daytona.
All Out Powerports
921 West International Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL
386-310-7884
They told me to ask for Brandon Clark

I was hoping to open a Wing Shop in Ormond Beach, but I just don't see it happening.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:28 pm

trike lady wrote:I may be able to help you, I was given a shop by the director of the GWRRA Chapter in Daytona.
All Out Powerports
921 West International Speedway Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL
386-310-7884
They told me to ask for Brandon Clark

I was hoping to open a Wing Shop in Ormond Beach, but I just don't see it happening.

Thanks "trike lady". I will give him a call.
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

joe c
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800

Postby joe c » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:59 am

There are only two shops I will allow to work on my Wing. One is Venco Wings in Loudon New Hampshire. Jim Venne is an HONEST, and EXPERT mechanic all Goldwings. The other shop is Pro Cycle in Rutland, Vt. The owner, Pete, is as honest as they come, and very knowledgeable on just about any motorcycle...and he has a DEDICATED Gold Wing mechanic who works on Wings because he enjoys it. Both shops are great places to have work done on your machines, and the prices are excellent, and they don't take all day long to do something.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”