Back in the Goldwing family

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Wingrider82
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 Aspencade,

Back in the Goldwing family

Postby Wingrider82 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Greetings all, why couldn't I find this site before I sold my 04 GL1800. Anyway, Im back in the right saddle again after making the mistake of buying a HD Ultra classic (what was I thinking?) too bad you can't claim temporary insanity when you purchase the wrong motorcycle. My first Goldwing was an 83 interstate, I liked it so much I wanted to ride with my brother, I convinced him to ride by selling it to him cheaper than I bought it, and I got myself an upgrade with an 82 Aspencade. It worked, I had a riding partner. Unfortunately he moved out of town a couple years later. Since then I sold my Aspencade for another upgrade to my 04 GL1800. In 08 my son in law wanted so buy my bike, I decided to part with it in hopes to get another one, how ever that didnt work out due to unforseen events. The next opertunity came for me to get another bike in 2010, thats where the insanity came, to this date I can not remember what it was that pulled me to purchase a HD, but I did, and now I can rest asured it will NEVER happen again! I have found another GL1800 that can take the place of my last, it is a 2005 Anniversary Edition Black Cherry. Now my son in law and I can ride anywhere in the country in complete comfort. Now I just got to help my son work his way from his 82 Aspencade to the GL1800 and we will all be happy. Not that he is unhappy now, just happier. LOL. thanx for letting me share. Ride Safe, Wingin it in GA,
John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Back in the Goldwing family

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Glad to have you back with us away from the dark side! :)

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:49 pm

what brought you back to a gw , what happened to hd , the ride , or break downs , glad ya found another wing

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Welcome back, How long were you gone? :D

Wingrider82
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100 Aspencade,

Postby Wingrider82 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 pm

I went 2 years without a bike, I guess it was like going to the supermarket hungry, and I let my friends influence my choice. Although at the time I had no reason to think that the Ultra Classic wasn't going to be the bike I wanted. Riding back and forth to work was nice, it was a little louder than I was use to, but it was comfortable. couldn't lift up off the seat for bumps (foot rests were too far foward). The main reason is the long rides, riding to Panama City, Daytona, Savana...The last ride to Daytona really did it, my wife was with me and always complained about discomfort in the back seat, and the heat radiating at stoplights was very uncomfortable, especialy when you couldnt pick up enough speed to get the breeze to cool you down. The only way to tell what the engine temp was, was to watch your oil pressure go down. Mechanicaly the only thing that went wrong was the horn went out when I went through a puddle of water (it was kinda deep up to my shins) on the way to Panama City through a downpour of rain, and the intercom connection dust cover broke off when I opened it up to connect the intercom.

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Wingrider82 wrote:I went 2 years without a bike, I guess it was like going to the supermarket hungry, and I let my friends influence my choice. Although at the time I had no reason to think that the Ultra Classic wasn't going to be the bike I wanted. Riding back and forth to work was nice, it was a little louder than I was use to, but it was comfortable. couldn't lift up off the seat for bumps (foot rests were too far foward). The main reason is the long rides, riding to Panama City, Daytona, Savana...The last ride to Daytona really did it, my wife was with me and always complained about discomfort in the back seat, and the heat radiating at stoplights was very uncomfortable, especialy when you couldnt pick up enough speed to get the breeze to cool you down. The only way to tell what the engine temp was, was to watch your oil pressure go down. Mechanicaly the only thing that went wrong was the horn went out when I went through a puddle of water (it was kinda deep up to my shins) on the way to Panama City through a downpour of rain, and the intercom connection dust cover broke off when I opened it up to connect the intercom.

thanks for that , always interested in the good and bad about bikes , i use to own a 1966 electra glide 1200 , i rode that bike back and forth to work everyday when the weather was right , i lived 250 miles round trip , but in mi. we did'nt have the heat that the south has , but it still was hot when ever i had to stop in a traffic jam , i would have to pull over and shut it down and wait for the traffic to get moving

Return to “Goldwing Chat”