Cut off - lost my temper

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Cut off - lost my temper

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:59 pm

I was riding home from work last night. I was on a four-lane road, approaching a stoplight with a left-hand turn lane, which I was in, following another car. My "sixth sense" or whatever you call it made me look warily at the car immediately to my right, just as she (a young girl, with a cell phone clamped to her ear, of course) started to come into my lane, directly into me. I think she had realized at the last second that she was about to miss the turn, and so she cut into the left turn lane, which I was already occupying.

I laid on my horn, which she ignored. There was opposing traffic, so swerving into the oncoming lanes was not an option. The car in front of me blocked my escape route that way. My only option was to swerve left as far as I could and nail the brakes. Fortunately the person behind me saw this going on, and braked to allow me an opening, and I narrowly missed clipping her rear bumper as she swerved into my lane. The young girl obliviously came to a stop in front of me, waiting at the now red light to turn left.

I was SO FURIOUS. I popped my kickstand down, and hopped off my bike, storming up to her window as I flipped open my helmet visor. She was STILL oblivious, still chatting away on her cell phone. I pounded my fist on her window. THAT got her attention, she nearly jumped out of her seat. I then yelled at her, "you just cut me off, you almost hit me, and almost forced me into oncoming traffic!" Her sunroof was open, so I knew she could hear me. She looked at me, terrified, and said those famous four words: "I didn't see you!"

The light turned green. I yelled once more, "get off your ****ing phone and watch where you're ****ing driving before you kill someone next time!", walked back to my bike, and followed her through the green. She turned off almost immediately afterward.

Thinking about it after I had calmed down a bit, it probably wasn't the best way to handle the situation, but I was SO ANGRY - which is not normal for me. I virtually never lose my temper, but I did with this careless, oblivious young girl yesterday.

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 standard

Re: Cut off - lost my temper

Postby cyclewizard » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:16 pm

I swear, I'm gonna carry a pocket full of marbles for stuff like this.

Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby rexles » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:04 pm

I used to work with a guy who carried a pocket full of 3/8' nuts for just such an occasion. Problem is this girl would not have known why her car got peppered with thrown objects if she wasn't paying any attention. I told my teen daughter if I EVER caufght her on the phone while driving she would not have a phone any longer and she pays for her own.

Postby cyclewizard » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:21 pm

But after you pepper her car than you stop her to let her know that she just about killed you. It's to bad that the only lesson people understand is taking a hit to the pocket bock. Life doesn't mean much today, but money does.
I just don't see what's so important that you put peoples lives at risk all for a useless phone conversation.
My friend got hit head on and killed by a young women talking on her cell phone.
She came over the centerline and side swiped him also killing his wife that was riding on the back, what a sad day it was when we all went to the funeral to pay our last respects. :x

Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
1984 GL1200 Standard
1988 GL1500

Postby BladeRunner9 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:39 pm

Unfortunately we all have a story or two like that..but that's part of the fun riding bikes.. swaping stories.
BTW, WingAdmin..glad you were OK! :D
Many yrs ago just after I got my new Magna V-45 I was minding my own business enjoying the ride, when a 60's something Chevy Impalla blew past, there were six "kids" teens I guess in daddys car. Well they thought it would be great fun to spit out the windows, they must have had a bet going or something...every time one of them thought they got me they would laugh their asses off! Well, they didn't get too far when they got stuck at a red light behind another car, I got off my bike~ as soon as they saw me comming they rolled up the windows and locked the doors....hehehe..they were still laughing..right up to the point when I kicked the drivers mirror off! It went right over the hood...their eyes followed it like those penguins you see on funny videos...They stopped laughing suddenly..they ALL looked like they were going to die!
Then I moved to the rear of the car, it had tail lights that had 3 separate lens on each side..I started kicking them one by one, I just knocked off 4 of them one by one when the light changed and they took off as if the devil himself was after them..... :mrgreen: I would have LOVED to hear their explanation of how the car got damaged!!.....I'm "pretty" sure they didn't try that again...LMAO! :mrgreen:

Postby cyclewizard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:43 am

That's funny as all get out.....
I got a few of my own but your's are better. LMAO......

Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 am

It's a good thing that all you lost was your temper. Could've been your life.

Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun May 02, 2010 6:24 am

Yes, that was not a wise thing to do! I'm sure you know that.
could have had a tragic ending if she thought you were going to do her bodily harm and she was armed and willing to exercise her right to defend herself from a prechieved attempt to do bodily harm or felt her life was threathened.
Next time, get a plate number, call the Police and tell them you want to issue a citation as in doing a citizens arrest. You will have to sign the citation and it will be mailed to the address, to the name on the registration. Just be sure you can ID the driver and are willing to spend time in court!

Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Sun May 02, 2010 6:35 pm

we hear ya loud and clear w.a. , i was forced off the road by a little old lady , luckly i had a place to exscape to , our it would have been a mess for me ,

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby colemadad » Sun May 02, 2010 8:41 pm

My wife and I were having a great day on the back roads last summer but had my/our worst close call ever within 30 minutes from home. We started up a gradual incline that swept to the left approaching the top. As we started up the hill, I saw a 1/2-3/4 ton truck just starting down opposite direction maybe 1/2 mile away. He was hugging the centre line so he had my attention right away. I was expecting him to move away from the centre line the closer we got but he kept squeezing more and more left. When he crossed the line I weighed my options and decided exiting the road into the ditch was the only answer. He didn't get the vehicle under control til he had actual crossed to the shoulder on OUR side of the road - almost went into the same ditch that I bailed out into to. I'd say we only missed a head-on by a couple of seconds. Luckily the ditch had been cleaned recently and graded so that the sides were gradual and despite hitting the grass at around 70-80 kph, I managed to keep the bike up right. When we got it stopped and were able to breath again, I looked back to see the guy in the truck stopped at the bottom of the hill. To make a long story short - he did see us when he was at the top of the hill and tried to move to his right. He was pulling a (too big) load of six horse and said that when he tried to move right the horses shifted their weight against him; the harder he pulled the harder the horses leaned against him. According to him, towards the end he was just along for the ride... I won't bore you with the rest of our discussion, although I was remarkably calm all things considered. Needless to say, we were quite a while getting over that one. We went back the following week and stangely enough our tracks were still in the dirt on the side of the road and the ditch of course. We were amazed to see that where we went off the road, we actually managed to thread the needle between a "blind hill ahead" sign and a powerline pole. To this day, I don't remember seeing either. Sometimes it pays to be good, it always pays to be lucky....

Postby Whiskerfish » Wed May 05, 2010 4:05 pm

WingAdmin wrote: Thinking about it after I had calmed down a bit, it probably wasn't the best way to handle the situation, but I was SO ANGRY - which is not normal for me. I virtually never lose my temper, but I did with this careless, oblivious young girl yesterday.

I realize this is an older thread but I think you handled it exactly right. When the opportunity exists I have been known to put a boot solidly in the middle of the drivers door. Ain't in jail yet :lol: :lol: :lol: A good cussin out will make an impression and may save some other bikers life.

My Daddy tells a story about a kid (in the 70's) ridding his bumper while he was riding his bike. Well Dad stopped in the middle of the road and jumped off his bike and went back and chewed that kids butt. Turns out 30 years later it was a bud of my younger Brother and he remembers it to this day!!

Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Prem Audio

Postby gareva1 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:22 pm

I heard a quote that is appropriate for times like this:

If you angrily run up to a car window and beat on it in Texas, based on the number of CCP's there's a 75% chance it's the last thing you'll ever do.

Maybe you should stay north of the Mason-Dixon. :lol:

Seriously though, I've been there.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”