Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
kicker29
Motorcycle: 1987GL1200 Interstate

Postby kicker29 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 am

Hi all, I am new to this site and like it very much. I just bought a 1987 GL1200 Interstate. I have been out several times on it and love it. I have not owned or been on a bike since 1980. Well last May I drove my friend's 2003 H.D. softail for about 15 minutes. He wanted me to buy it but I wasn't ready. The last bike I owned was a 1977 Kawasaki KH400. Huge difference from the goldwing!!
It looks like I will be retired May 1. I am a Boilermaker by trade and we can retire early at age 55. :D I am looking forward to a lot of riding. I really love the goldwing, what a ride!! :!: It is not real pretty to look at as the paint is faded. A paint job in the off season may be instore. My thinking was that I would buy an old goldwing and try it out for a season. If I didn't like it or if I dumped it, (I have never ridden anything this big) I didn't have a lot of money into it. WOW!! I just can't get enough riding.
Right now I am having a slight problem with brake lights but because of the help I recieved here I pretty much have it all under control.
Thanks so much for the help and hope to meet some of you on the road. Thanks again.

kicker29

Re: New Member

Postby kicker29 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:43 am

Good morning to all. A friend of minr who works with boats told me that I should be able to just buff the paint and it will come right back to a nice shine. He said it sound like it is just damage from the sun and that it is just the clear coat. He said to use a light buffing compound then polish. What do you guys think? :?: :?

rfoley
Motorcycle: 2002 Gold Wing

Postby rfoley » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Welcome My Friend, I hope You enjoy Your Bike and the help You got and will get from Us.
Roger Foley
Louisville Ky. 40214

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Welcome from Michigan! You made the right choice with the Wing in stead of the HD. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement, I retire April 8th, but can't ride yet...we still have four inches of snow on the ground and it won't even get into the fifties for another week or so. Enjoy your riding!

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm

welcome , good luck with your wing

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:10 am

If the paint is the original honda paint, I would definately try buffing it up, chances are it will come back to a nice finish, as the saying goes, use a very light buffing compound, keep the buffing wheel moving around the bodywork and take your time. The original paint will usually come back very well with a little time and effort.

Gary

kicker29

Postby kicker29 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks everyone. I will try to buff the paint soon. We will see what happens. It seems to be original paint.
I have about 4 hours in the seat now and am getting quite used to the bike. I ride around the back roads where it's not busy and do plenty of stops and starts and left and right turns. I was quite nervous the first time out but am really getting used to it.
Thanks for the welcome and the help. :D

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm

In case you are not aware of it, the wing is a heavy old girl so counter steering works very well (you push the handlebars in the opposite direction you want to go) rather than shifting your weight. It makes the bike change direction much more quickly than shifting your body weight and gives better control. Just try accelerating to 30 mph then push lightly on the right handlebar and you will find the bike turning right, the harder you push the faster it will turn. It's a great technique but really usefull on heavy bikes.. Apologies if you already know this technique.

Gary

kicker29

Postby kicker29 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:22 am

thrasherg wrote:In case you are not aware of it, the wing is a heavy old girl so counter steering works very well (you push the handlebars in the opposite direction you want to go) rather than shifting your weight. It makes the bike change direction much more quickly than shifting your body weight and gives better control. Just try accelerating to 30 mph then push lightly on the right handlebar and you will find the bike turning right, the harder you push the faster it will turn. It's a great technique but really usefull on heavy bikes.. Apologies if you already know this technique.

Gary

Thanks for the helpful hint on turning. I was not aware of the technique. Works very well, just takes a little getting used to.(apparently I pushed a little too hard the first time I tried the manuver :o and my heart rate went into hyper drive :shock: :shock: . After several moments the heart started slowing down. :roll: Then I just couldn't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just glad I was out on the back roads and nobody saw me. :oops: It was rather exciting though!!) 8-) Thanks again.. :D

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 am

Having a trike my steering technique is probably a little different than riding on 2 wheels, BUT I do have a question: WHY does that work ?? It seems like it should make the bike go the way you steer.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:43 pm

maestro319 wrote:Having a trike my steering technique is probably a little different than riding on 2 wheels, BUT I do have a question: WHY does that work ?? It seems like it should make the bike go the way you steer.

Because a motorcycle has two giant gyroscopes on the bottom, otherwise known as wheels.

The fact is, you ALWAYS countersteer whenever you're riding more than about 15 mph or so - you just haven't been aware of it. Above around 15 mph, there is NO OTHER WAY to turn a motorcycle than by countersteering.

Motorcycles turn by leaning. When you're up at any kind of speed, your wheels are these huge, heavy gyroscopes. Gyroscopes resist being displaced - they want to keep rotating in the same plane. This is why your motorcycle doesn't tip over when its moving. Therefore it is extremely difficult to push the bike over to make it lean. You simply don't weigh enough to have enough of an effect.

However, because a gyroscope will exert force 90 degrees to its plane of rotation, we have a trick: Turn the handlebars in the direction opposite to which you want to turn. This rotates the wheel, causing it to want to tip over, leaning the whole bike with it.

Here's a simple demonstration and explanation:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”