dip gas tank-cleveland

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
drmichael@excite.com
Motorcycle: 1981 Gold Wing GL1100

dip gas tank-cleveland

Postby drmichael@excite.com » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:07 pm

I'm pulling my rusty gas tank out of my 81 gl1100. I'm reading that the best thing to do is to get it dipped by a radiator shop (vinegar didn't work at all!). Anyone know of a place in Cleveland/Akron who will do the job for a reasonable price? Thanks!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: dip gas tank-cleveland

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:07 pm

Realy the simplest and one of the most effective ways of cleaning the rust out is through electrolysis. And, it's cheap!

A quick search on the net found this: Ken French's Electrolysis Setup which is a pretty good description of the process.

A lot of people also swear by using the POR15 product.

drmichael@excite.com

Postby drmichael@excite.com » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks. I bought the bike last year, had the carbs cleaned and timed-but the tank, which the seller said was cleaned, had tons of rust. So I am so sick of stalling out on the road due to carb problems from rust that I want to get it done right. I am tempted to do the electrolysis, but everyone seems to warn that rust will come right back unless I keep the tank full every day-I don't want to worry.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:43 pm

drmichael@excite.com wrote:Thanks. I bought the bike last year, had the carbs cleaned and timed-but the tank, which the seller said was cleaned, had tons of rust. So I am so sick of stalling out on the road due to carb problems from rust that I want to get it done right. I am tempted to do the electrolysis, but everyone seems to warn that rust will come right back unless I keep the tank full every day-I don't want to worry.

All the electrolysis does is remove the rust - but it does so very effectively. You should coat the inside of the tank once the rust is gone, to prevent it from happening again.

drmichael@excite.com

Postby drmichael@excite.com » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Well, I took out the tank-did the electrolysis thing. It worked pretty well. I also put some screws in the tank, shook it, and rinsed it out. Used some mystery oil and was actually able to get it back together. Had a great ride on Sunday-it ran better than ever. Went to ride today, checked the gas, and saw the tank was almost empty. Apparently it sprang a leak in the back, on the bottom. I was pretty careful with it, so I don't know how it happened. I'm not sure I have the energy to take it apart, but I suppose I will need a new tank.

Anyway, thanks for your help. The pictures and step by step instruction were great. I still have to put the part in for the temperature and gas gauge-if I don't sell it first!!!

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:27 pm

drmichael@excite.com wrote:Well, I took out the tank-did the electrolysis thing. It worked pretty well. I also put some screws in the tank, shook it, and rinsed it out. Used some mystery oil and was actually able to get it back together. Had a great ride on Sunday-it ran better than ever. Went to ride today, checked the gas, and saw the tank was almost empty. Apparently it sprang a leak in the back, on the bottom. I was pretty careful with it, so I don't know how it happened. I'm not sure I have the energy to take it apart, but I suppose I will need a new tank.

Anyway, thanks for your help. The pictures and step by step instruction were great. I still have to put the part in for the temperature and gas gauge-if I don't sell it first!!!

if ya get things back to normal , i would sujest keeping some stabil or anything that prevents rust , good luck

drmichael@excite.com

Postby drmichael@excite.com » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:52 pm

OK-I know this is wierd-but I never claimed to be a GW wiz! I replaced my clean tank, took it for a run. 2 days later I saw much of the fuel had leaked out of the full tank. The next day, there was just a bit left. I saw it dripping from the rear of the tank-nothing in front. The petcock was off. I filled the tank with water so it wouldn't rust, pulled the gas line off the petcock so it wouldn't go in the engine and planned to get a new tank. The next day I looked and the tank was still filled with water-no leak! It' still full!! I haven't a clue because most of the gas leaked out. I plan to drain it, fill it with gas and see what happens! All I can guess is that something may have been pulling it out-but then why would it drip off the rear of the tank?

Any ideas before I start thinking I'm halucinating?

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Petrol is a much finer liquid than water and will pass through much smaller holes than water. I suspect that your tank has rusted through in a couple of places causing pin holes which water will not come through (Unless forced) but gas will pass through easily. You need to get the tank good and dry before you put gas bank inside. Modern fuel contains ethanol that will absorb water like a sponge and cause the engine to run poorly afterwards. If you want to find the leak and fix it, I think you will have to fill the tank with gas, or diesel as these will pass through very small holes and show you the leak. I would suggest Diesel as it's the least flamable and therefore the safest thing to use for finding holes in gas tanks!!

Regards Gary

drmichael@excite.com

Postby drmichael@excite.com » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks, Gary-that makes sense. The only way I'll know for sure is to pull it, dry it and see if it holds gas.
Mike

Return to “Goldwing Chat”