is it worth it?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dan3200
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 stock
1980 GL1100I Interstate

is it worth it?

Postby dan3200 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 am

Is it worth the trouble to bring a bike back from the dead?
The 76' GL1000 I have looks to have been put together in a JUNK YARD.
I has KAWASAKI exhaust pipes welded on to the headers, a SUZUKI tail light, YAMAHA head light, and the fairing had the battery strap wrapped around the neck to fill in the gap cus the clamp was too big.
I have had this bike for 10 years and got to ride it for 4 miles.
Would it be better as parts, or as a full on restoration?
As I figure it, I will have to spend as much to repair what is worn out, as to buy another bike.
The engine seems strong, good - even compression at 95-100 psi, but carbs are junk, and I don't know about all the rubber parts, IE hoses, belts, seals,...ECT.
ADVICE ANYONE?

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: is it worth it?

Postby HALBUDD » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Unless you are willing to put the time and money in it,then NO! If as you say it has been put together with parts from other bikes and doesnt really look good IMO I would part it out get what you can and buy a better bike.You may need to work on your new one a little but not to the point you are talking about. Just my 2cents good luck Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Diesel Dan
Motorcycle: Big Bird is an 09 Yellow Air Bag

Postby Diesel Dan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:05 pm

I agree with HalBudd, but if you're the type who likes the challenge of giving a bike or whatever a new lease on use, go for it.
If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. BF

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 am

I too agree with Halbudd. You will never get your money back on it (from your description) so I would part it out and use the money to find a more viable project. I have built many bikes where I never got my money back (Just for the fun of rebuilding them) but I would pass on your based on your description. We all love to hear of a resurrection, but there are always people needing good parts to finish their resurrection and maybe you have those parts!!
Ultimately it's your call, if you like rebuilding bikes, go for it, otherwise break it and look for something else..

Gary

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:19 pm

thrasherg wrote:I too agree with Halbudd. You will never get your money back on it (from your description) so I would part it out and use the money to find a more viable project. I have built many bikes where I never got my money back (Just for the fun of rebuilding them) but I would pass on your based on your description. We all love to hear of a resurrection, but there are always people needing good parts to finish their resurrection and maybe you have those parts!!
Ultimately it's your call, if you like rebuilding bikes, go for it, otherwise break it and look for something else..

Gary

Ditto!

Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”