38.5 MPG after carb sync

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

38.5 MPG after carb sync

Postby lbman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi All,
Did the 2nd try at carb sync. Nailed it this time. Bike runs great!!! Ouch just hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back!
I checked millage and I only picked up a few extra miles tell I hit reserve this morning 160 miles.
It took 4.6 gal and i had 177 miles. Hmmm I thunk these things (821100I) were able to get 45 MPG?
mufflers are pretty much not muffling any longer . I had to cut off everything but an inch or so off the tail pipe. I added some turn downs I picked up from a basket bike. would this cause more flow and worse millage? sounds louder for sure. but the turn downs did help the noise. i have found some used pipes for $150.00 but hey they are off an 82 also...sounds like a waist of money too me. $350.00 for aftermarket replacements. sounds like more waist of money too ME. I am waiting to see how the Harley mufflers work on another post a couple of weeks ago. ;-}...
thanks,
Larry B

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 38.5 MPG after carb sync

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:32 pm

If I'm on relatively level ground, it's not too hot out, I don't accelerate hard, and cruise steadily for a while at no faster than 60 mph, I can get a consistent 45 mpg. Change any one of those things, and mileage goes down. 38.5 is not too shabby. Mileage drops off PRECIPITOUSLY as I go over 60.

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:47 pm

OK thanks.
i run it up to 80 or so ,(speedo only goes up to 80)...every once in a while it seems. That would do it. I will try to drive like a grandpa for a week. oh wait I am a grandpa. I will stop driving like a teenager. and see if that helps. soooo many slow pokes to pass. I have a 25 mile drive to work so if I take it easy it would be a good test. plus save me tickets to the local WA.SP club .
LB

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 pm

theres a big diff from rideing to work , and rideing for the fun of it , bet ya get better milage when your doing the having fun in the ride ,

noeleo
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 A Aspencade Sadly wrecked 2-25-12

1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500

Postby noeleo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:59 am

:? So, maybe someone smarter than me :lol: (just about anyone) :lol: could explain how a carb synch could affect your fuel mileage. I do realize that there are carbs that are VERY far out of synch, but I never got any better mileage out of ANY bike that I synched the carbs on. In fact, I just completed the procedure on my '87 GL 1200A, and my mileage dropped :?: . Also found the same result on my previous '02 VS800GL Suzuki :?: . I'm scratching my head and pulling my hair out. :) My GL mileage before synch was 48-riding 2 up. :D Now gets about 42-riding 1up. :x As some of you know, there are varying riding styles-passive and agressive and inbetween, but when I got 42 by myself, I was making a conscious effort to ride VERY passively and defensively. PLEASE someone explain this to me :) . My wife doesn't want me to go bald yet...
Ride your GoldWing no faster than your angel can fly.

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:24 am

Wow, I can not see how gas mileage would go down by making the motor run more efficient? You got me on that one! I can really tell the difference from before i did the carb sync to present. My bike takes off from the get go with out complaining. It shifts smoother, I notice less vibration. The throttle position on a constant highway speed is less. Now if i go to pass someone throttle response is way better. I am not the brightest star in the sky. sometimes it takes me a couple of times to figure something out. usually i have to make it worse before i can make it better. ;-}.... I have come to believe that if I take a long time taking it apart, It will go back together way easier. But I really Like the Warm and Fuzzy feeling when I can get things to run better. I also have learned that I don't know S..t and I love to ask How and Why a lot these days.
LB

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:46 am

noeleo wrote::? So, maybe someone smarter than me :lol: (just about anyone) :lol: could explain how a carb synch could affect your fuel mileage. I do realize that there are carbs that are VERY far out of synch, but I never got any better mileage out of ANY bike that I synched the carbs on. In fact, I just completed the procedure on my '87 GL 1200A, and my mileage dropped :?: . Also found the same result on my previous '02 VS800GL Suzuki :?: . I'm scratching my head and pulling my hair out. :) My GL mileage before synch was 48-riding 2 up. :D Now gets about 42-riding 1up. :x As some of you know, there are varying riding styles-passive and agressive and inbetween, but when I got 42 by myself, I was making a conscious effort to ride VERY passively and defensively. PLEASE someone explain this to me :) . My wife doesn't want me to go bald yet...

i really don't know why you lost milage , but sometimes a tank of gas just don't last as long as the 1 befor , ever try changeing gas station, or brand and see if its just cheap made fuel your getting ,

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:45 am

actionpack wrote:i really don't know why you lost milage , but sometimes a tank of gas just don't last as long as the 1 befor , ever try changeing gas station, or brand and see if its just cheap made fuel your getting ,

Yeah, I am a bit stumped by this too, but then, I know nothing about even having to synch carbs. I do, however know that if a single carb is running a bit lean, the fuel mileage will be better, but the engine will not run as nicely. Is it possible that synching carbs removes a lean condition and enrichens the mixture, which would allow the engine to run smoother, be more responsive, etc, and still lower the fuel economy slightly? Just two cents from someone who really only has one cent, lol.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:10 pm

If the carbs are not synced, it means one carb is generating more power at a given throttle setting than the other(s). This means not only is the stronger carb pushing the bike along, it's also picking up the slack for the less powerful carb(s). The difference between the two gets exhibited as vibration - this vibration is wasted power being used to shake the engine, engine mounts, frame and rider, instead of being used to push the bike. Balanced, smooth-running engines put much more power down on the road, instead of shaking the driver.

That doesn't say much for the Harley riders. :)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”