child defacing my bike

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 93 gl 1500 SE

child defacing my bike

Postby terry.dollar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:37 pm

I have a few very mild scratches on my white 1500. They appeared when I brought it to School ( I am a teacher ) . The day it happened I did not find anyone around. The next day I brought it to school, I saw some boys ( ones who have given me trouble before in the classroom ) over by my bike today. I think they may be the ones who scratched it, but I am not sure. When I cought them next to the bike, they hurried away and pretended to be innocent.There were no new scratches today or anything I could see wrong with the bike as yet. I'm really wondering what to do and how far I should take this. My Principal is a real nice guy that I respect very much, but I think he will go real easy on the kids. I will call a meeting of all the boys tomorrow and may contact the parents , telling them how dangerous it is to me and to them to be messing with a half-ton bike. I can't really accuse them of the original scratches done a week ago. I am wondering if I should report it to the police and get the boys posible vandelism on their records ( that would most likely be frowned upon by my Principal,as all police reports go to the school board ) . I could threaten to sue and make the parents pay out of court ( I'm guessing that will mean nothing as the parents don't have the money and most likely know that will go nowhere for them or me, and I am not sure they did the original scratches ) . Who has any suggestions? I feel I would be lying if I accused them of the scratches, but these kids could have done ( or may do in future ) some real damage to me, bike, or themselves if I had not stopped them today. Ideas?

Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: child defacing my bike

Postby actionpack » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:00 pm

sorry to hear about the scratches on your wing , that has to hurt big time , don't know what to tell ya about the boys , you know they did it , but can you prove it is the problem , and i don't think i would go with the big heavy bike being out there and some 1 could get hurt messing with it , parents are funny and they may take that argument and run with it if you would to persue charges , have you talked to the 3 boys , the idea of getting all the boys together is a good 1 , during your chat with them , you could always say i saw the 3 boys who did this to my bike standing by my bike , and i have people watching for anymore damage on my bike when its parked at school , back when i was in school there would be no decisions to make , the teacher made the decisions , i had notches on the paddle , just my 2 cents worth , its really your decision ,

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Any chance the school has video surveillance of the parking lot?

Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:08 am

How old are these students? Or what grade?

Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:43 am

Good grief littlebeaver, I thought I got up early. 1:08 AM?? Do you work 2nd or 3rd shift?? And,...your question is just what I was going to ask. Age? Grade?

Diesel Dan
Motorcycle: Big Bird is an 09 Yellow Air Bag

Postby Diesel Dan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:04 am

Get permission to park by the front entrance, put it under a cover, and use the bungee cord.
If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. BF

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

It is a really tough call isn't it? You cannot accuse without proof, as they may have proof it wasn't them. The danger ticket doesn't really play unless they climb on the bike. What the powers that be are going to suggest is that you do not bring the bike to the school anymore. I hate to say it, but it appears you will have to just suck it up. It is a 50/50 with parents nowadays. They may take it very serious, or may take it as an attack on their parenting abilities. One would benefit, the other would be a definite detriment.

Sorry bout the bike tho...
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:16 am

"I think they may be the ones who scratched it, but I am not sure."
That says it all. The only thing you should do is report it to the principal and get the vandalism on record. Even naming names at this time is not a good idea. Could get you into trouble. Might keep a camera ready for any further "close encounters." Sad that this kind of thing happens though.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:21 pm

first off you have no proof the boys damaged your wing to begain with you are just ASSuming that they did because of their reaction when you saw them by your wing. you have no case to hold on them
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:50 pm

See if theres a place to park the bike that you can mount a camera to a nearby place to keep it under video survelance. Ever thought of alarming the bike????? They make covers that have alarms built in too. You could even alarm it and attach a camera to the bike that would turn on if the alarm is activated. You need more than what you have before you start pointing a finger or even talking to. If were a parent (I am)( my babies are twenty nine) and you questioned MY kid about something you had no proof of YOU would be in front of the board answering MY questions.

Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Wow :shock: :shock: ...I would gather my students and march them out there to see the beautiful motorcycle, talk to them about it, and then go back inside and have a pop quiz on what I talked about, what year it was, how many cc's, how fast it goes, how much gas it holds, what kind of air pressure in the tires, How many miles on that bike..and see how they score...Teach them something.. :lol: :lol: get them back on your side..

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:57 pm

What has happened since?
I cover my bike with a half cover at work or anytime it will sit for a long time. It just takes a couple minutes to put it on. I figure the bike sits at least 8 to 9 hours every day in the sun, so to protect it I cover it. This also deters people from sitting on it or touching it & anything in it or on it is out of sight.
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Wed May 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Sorry to hear this.
Cover it, park in a conspicuous location, mount a motion activated camera somewhere near, alarm it. In that order. Anything you do in the way of pointing fingers at this time is going to come back and bite you.

Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”