Oil

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dayser7
Motorcycle: 2001 GL 1800 Goldwing

Oil

Postby dayser7 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:34 pm

I have an 01 1800....they tell me it was changed with synthetic oil and that once you go synthetic you should not change back...so I have no idea if anyone else has dealt with this or what is best to do...thought I would throw it out for some experts. Thanks in advance.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Oil

Postby thrasherg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:05 pm

That is BS, you can switch between Dino oil and synthetic oil without any issues (This was not the case a few years ago!!). A synthetic oil will last longer than a dyno oil, so synthetic is very good if you are going to change your oil less often than recommended or are driving you bike in harsh engine conditions (Very dirty, or heavily laden). Synthetic oil is very expensive so I tend to compromise, I run semi-synthetic and change at the Honda recommended intervals. I am sure Dino oil would save me money and would not increase wear as the Honda intervals are quite frequent, but it's ultimately each persons call on what type of oil to run and when. But you can definitely switch between dino and synthetic oil as often as you want..

A good synthetic oil will also contain lost of detergent so they are good to clean out an engine every now and then..

Gary

dayser7
Motorcycle: 2001 GL 1800 Goldwing

Postby dayser7 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Thank you Gary...is there any particular oil that recommend...:)...

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Good oil is like good tyres, everyone has their own opinion.. For me a good oil is one that meets the Honda spec for viscosity is easily sourced near my house and is not to expensive.. I like to run Mobil1 Motorcycle oil if I run fully synthetic. Look at what you can get near to you and go for that, do make sure it's a motorcycle oil not a car oil. Car oils have additives (called friction modifiers) which often cause problems for motorcycle clutches, so you want a motorcycle oil or a car oil with no friction modifiers.. Don't forget to change the filter at the same time you change the oil (Though I hear of many people that change the filter every second oil change!).

Gary

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm not telling any body what oil to use but here is what I use. I have read hundreds of pages of oil studies from all kinds of oil companies. This has never let me down an BELIEVE me I take this to heart. Oil is the life blood of all motors period. But cost is also important to all of us. I run Shell Rotella T 15W40. It's 11.50 per gal.at wal mart It's a diesel oil it's made for extreme heat,friction and had no additive like car oil. I also use a pham PH 6607 filter also wal mart four bucks. I ran this in my old bike Yamaha V star for years and when I bought my wing it had amsoil in it I ran that until it was gone and switched to this combo. I've put 30,000 miles on it in the last four riding seasons no problems. Fresh in it now for this season. I know you all think I got a goldwing I should have the money to run MC tires and honda oil & filter. But the money I save I put in the tank and ride ride ride..I do all my own maintenance and save save save. I have a real trust problem when it comes to repairs on my bike or cars. I know it's done right when I'm done things are double checked torqued and rechecked. I can't be down when season here so all winter I take my time and go from front to back knock on wood never had a problem.. SALLY

Diesel Dan
Motorcycle: Big Bird is an 09 Yellow Air Bag

Postby Diesel Dan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:49 pm

If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. BF

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks great link I have read that before but alway worth reading again.

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks for the link to the article on oil. it was very infomative!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”