Menbers Pictures

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
grandpa
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Interstate

Menbers Pictures

Postby grandpa » Sun May 01, 2011 10:10 am

For those who are interested I have posted some photo of my last winter electrical work and also when I have put on LED.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Menbers Pictures

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 01, 2011 3:35 pm

I like your "electrical birdsnest" - that's how my bike was when I first got it as well. I do like your "rack of relays" that you put on there. Very neat looking.

grandpa
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Interstate

Postby grandpa » Sun May 01, 2011 4:53 pm

That was realy a mess. Some of the light did not work at all, and some went off when I used the turn signal to the right. When I switched on the Fog light the the frontlight went down to allmost candlelight. The same happend almost when I switched on the extra rear light which worked. I enlarged the wiring diagram to 125 x 90cm ( 4 X 3 ft ) put in in a frame with glass. Then I used markers which can be wiped out ( diff. coulers ) so I could mark the wires an follow them.

I took alle the wires fore extra light / equipment off so I were down to original harnes. I draw a complete new diagram for all extra. I put a relay in the faring to the headlight. I connected the wire for the coil to the one going from the dimmerswitch so when the dimmer is in low the relay is in relax position and in high the relay is engaged. One of the relay on the rack is the master relay to the headlight. The power to the coil is taken from the wire going to the dimmerswitch which meens that as soon the ignition is on the relay is dtawn. The I took a wire strait from the battery via a flat fuse to the contact in the relay and from the other side of the relay up to the one in the fairing. And I connected the voltmeter in cluster in the faring. Now I have plenty of light and normal reading on the voltmeter. I thought I had problems with the charging but it was only wery poor connection. I did the extra the same way and now works every thing perfect, except the radio. But I know why but the faring has to come off to solve the problem. Next winter. :D

But I can recomand the idea with the enlarged wiringdiagram.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 01, 2011 8:25 pm

I've done the exact same thing with the wiring diagram - I enlarged it and it's taped to the back of my office door!

I also plan to put in a relay that switches between high and low beam, just as you did, to alleviate the problem with the high beam switch wearing out.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”