Motorcycle Accident Do & Don't

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
caronroger
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Goldwing Trike

Motorcycle Accident Do & Don't

Postby caronroger » Sun May 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Two simple things to keep in mind if you have or come upon an accident.
If there are broken bones or serious damage to the arm of arms make sure you remove any rings they may be wearing as swelling of the fingers will begin almost immediatly.

If they have road rash, scrapes and bruises never use bottled water to wash out to wounds. While you think bottled water is very clean it still is full of bacteria and can make the wound septic. You are much better using a gauze pad from your first aid kit to clean it off. Should you have some contact lens cleaner use that as it is clean.
Roger Caron

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Motorcycle Accident Do & Don't

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 01, 2011 3:38 pm

I never thought about the bottled water not being sterile, but you're right. I used to have a ring cutter like this one in my first aid kit, it's long since gone missing - I should really get another one, for the exact reason you state.

Roadranger
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby Roadranger » Sun May 01, 2011 6:29 pm

This is a very handy piece of info to etch into memory because we can easily make such mistakes when we're in the excitement of the accident and wanting to help. The one time it happened to me, I forced myself to use only what was in my first aid kit and turned down anything else that was offered to me.

caronroger

Postby caronroger » Sun May 01, 2011 7:19 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I never thought about the bottled water not being sterile, but you're right. I used to have a ring cutter like this one in my first aid kit, it's long since gone missing - I should really get another one, for the exact reason you state.

That is a great idea to have in your kit. I keep a pair of strong side cutters (dikes) for that purpose.
Roger Caron

ridinagn
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby ridinagn » Sun May 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks for the tip about the water. Take care of our last name.
Dan Caron

ka9nyn
Motorcycle: 1995 GL 1500 SE

Postby ka9nyn » Mon May 02, 2011 11:04 am

Good info. I'll need to be sure not to wear my wedding ring,
as it is made of titanium. Don't think anything short of a
grinder would touch it.
Dave & Rose
Chamberlain, SD
1995 Goldwing SE

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon May 02, 2011 2:53 pm

I know some Harley riders that would be up a creek beause they have rings on every finger, I honestly believe they think they are some kinda pirates or something, I find it funny..because I know their not....It's merely an act, I call them pretenders... :lol: :lol: they are funny..

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Mon May 02, 2011 10:55 pm

More importantly, if you come across an accident - Don't move the victim unless you absolutely have to! You do not know what their neuro status is. Moving a person might cause further damage. The victim needs to be moved on a backboard with a collar. It would be best to await professional help. I would only move a victim if there was a risk of explosion/fire. As for me, I wouldn't worry about washing a wound with bottled water, they've already picked up far worse cooties from the road, gravel and mud. Go ahead and wash it, but follow thru with an antibiotic regimen ASAP.
Harp BSN, RN, CCRN

caronr
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby caronr » Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Harp wrote:More importantly, if you come across an accident - Don't move the victim unless you absolutely have to! You do not know what their neuro status is. Moving a person might cause further damage. The victim needs to be moved on a backboard with a collar. It would be best to await professional help. I would only move a victim if there was a risk of explosion/fire. As for me, I wouldn't worry about washing a wound with bottled water, they've already picked up far worse cooties from the road, gravel and mud. Go ahead and wash it, but follow thru with an antibiotic regimen ASAP.
Harp BSN, RN, CCRN

Harp,
Please research what you are talking about before making a statement like the last one. Never and I mean never wash with bottled water. The dirt gravel and mud most likely will not cause the wound to go septic but the bottled water will. Just wipe it off with the cleanest piece of cloth you have available and cover it until you can get proper help.
Please talk to a qualified EMT about this before you do more damage than good.
You are correct about only moving the victim due to fire explosion or a chance a car will run him over. It would be good to learn the proper way to move someone on the ground without damaging their spine.
Roger Caron

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue May 03, 2011 8:26 am

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!! I did some research on the treatment of road rash and found that the use of bottle water is deemed okay to use on many of the sites I visited. Not one stated "do not use". Other sterile products were recommended before bottled water but none said not to use it. A simple saline solution or a product named Sur-Clens was most often suggested to use as a cleanser. Might be a good idea to carry a bottle in the first aid kit.
Here is one of the sites. http://www.ehow.com/how_2277804_treat-road-rash.html
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Tue May 03, 2011 11:18 pm

Mr Caron - I will continue to disagree with you. I need not speak with an EMT. If you hadn’t noticed my credentials, I am an RN, certified in critical care with 12 years experience in Trauma, Heart, Stroke and Critical Care. I work at the Cleveland Clinic in a Medical intensive care unit and treat sepsis on a daily basis I am quite familiar with its causes, symptoms and treatment. My research is based on my 12 years of clinical experience. My knowledge base exceeds that of your EMT. EMTs call us from location for direction in giving medical aid while transporting patients to the trauma unit.
Bottled water is the equivalent of tap water. Although not the preferred solution for wound cleansing, it is acceptable in a first aid situation. The notion that someone would develop sepsis in the short time between an accident and ER treatment is ridiculous. Sepsis is not an infected wound. It is a systemic condition that people develop when their immune system lacks the ability to protect the body.
As for further research, may I suggest you start with this - http://www.teamswift.org/userfiles/file ... _ToddW.doc . I’ll stick with the Doc’s judgment.
There has been much debate over the use of tap water vs. normal saline in the cleansing of wounds. The current “best practice” from NIH is that tap water shows no significant difference in rates of infection or interference in healing from that of normal saline. The authors in the NIH published study accepted bottled water and tap water as interchangeable.
Harp

caronroger

Postby caronroger » Wed May 04, 2011 10:09 am

Well, I can't argue with that coming from an expert like you. However I still personally will not use bottled water, because, why take a chance? I really do appreciate your thoughtful reply.
Roger Caron

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Postby maestro319 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:38 am

Geez guys, reading these forums (I'm in 5 of them) is like reading the editorial page of a newspaper but MUCH better!! Such controversy. Oil: synthetic or non-synthetic? Weight? Gas: 87 octane or 91 octane? Tires: car or motorcycle only? ATGATT or t-shirts and sandals? Now,... saline solution or bottled water for first aide?
Please note:This is NOT a criticism but merely an observation. So informative to get both (sometimes more) sides to a concept or practice. I LOVE it!! Keep 'em coming.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed May 04, 2011 7:39 pm

I wonder if it would make a difference if the bottled water was an unopened bottle as opposed to one that has been drunk from. The second would in effect be like spitting on the road rash. Most, if not all bottled water is filtered tap water from whatever city the bottlers plant is in, but it is filtered. Certainly not a sterile solution. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with either side of this issue, just serving up further food for thought. If I had had bottled water available last road rash I got, I would have used it. It would have been much preferable to the "Wet to Dry" treatments that I had to do for four weeks, to get all the detritus out of the wounds. The EMTs did nothing of value aside from transport me to Denver General Hospital. They did not even touch the road rash.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed May 04, 2011 8:05 pm

themanviking, you can't get away with teasing us like that, you sir must tell us a story now of your crash and what happened or what you can remember..thanks man..I like stories.. :lol:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed May 04, 2011 8:36 pm

Okay... I was riding through Denver, headed back to New Mexico, and a 1979 Light Blue Cadillac tagged me from behind, in one of the curves on I-25. Bike back wheel slid into the curbing, and high sided the bike, but instead of being thrown, I rolled over the bike onto the high side. I pushed myself up on the bike with my right arm, which of course wore the jacket and the arm out, kinda, leaving a pretty horrendous road rash. I know the rational about pushing off from the bike, but this was on I-25, and other cars were avoiding the bike, so I stayed with it. It is amazing how much life slows down when one is in the middle of a slide down an interstate highway, lol. Denver General was kind of ineffectual at treating the road rash, but they did try to reconnect the tendon that was severed, so I still have use of the arm. I got back to New Mexico, and to get the dirt out of the road rash I had to do the "Wet to Dry" treatment till I got all the gravel out. Took about a month for that. For those that are not familiar with it, Wet to Dry means that you soak sterile dressings with sterile saline solution or water, dress the wound, wait for it to dry, and then yank the dressing off. Then do it again - and again - etc. During this time, the wound does not heal, but dead stuff and gravel sticks to the dressings and little by little it all comes out. Then we used Silver Sulfadiazine to grow scar tissue till the indentation in the arm rounded out, which took almost a year. I should have had a graft, but I was worried about my riding, and they would have taken the graft tissue off my butt, lol. New Mexico is a great state for riding. I put 130,000 miles on my motorcycles in the three years I was there. The Denver police never even looked for the blue Cadillac, but I advertised it in a motorcycle magazine, and got some info from a lot of people across I-10 and up I-25, and finally from a couple of guys from New York, who had also been riding through Denver earlier that day, when one of them got run down by the cadillac. The other guy got the licence number, and passed it on. It turns out that this dude had been running motorcycles off the road from Florida to Denver. The licence number was passed on to the Florida Police. As far as I know, the guy is still in jail, cause some of the people he tagged, died. This was in the summer of 1989, and it really ruined my summer. Well, I am cringing a bit when I re read this, so some of you guys will too. Sorry bout that, but the Beav asked, lol.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed May 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Man... bless you man... May the great spirits continue to watch out for you[Motorcycle God's]..you got this guy caught..It took awhile but you did it..That's the best story I read in years...Wow, sorry to bring back so much pain but that was awesome and I for one am so glad you are here to tell it..thanks again.. :D anyone else wanta share a story here.??

Return to “Goldwing Chat”