Tire repair

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
john56
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade

Tire repair

Postby john56 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi
It appears my rim has a little bend in it causing a slow leak for my front tire. Would you recommend a tube or is there something else know to fix?
John

caronroger
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Goldwing Trike

Re: Tire repair

Postby caronroger » Sun May 01, 2011 1:26 pm

John,
Purchase a new rim or isn't your life worth that much?
Why screw around with a bent rim. If you can't afford a new rim, park your bike until you can afford a new one.
I hear of people complain about tire wearing out too fast. They talk about finding an automotive tire as a replacement. Get real, When it comes to your life tires are a very cheap investment.
I only replace mine once a year or 10,000 miles which ever comes first.
Roger Caron

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:28 pm

Those are pretty harsh words aren’t they Roger; it might not take a lot to make a tire lose air. Certainly not so much as to make the wheel unsafe? I would think John or anyone should know by looking at it just how bad it is. IMHO
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

caronr
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800

Postby caronr » Tue May 03, 2011 10:48 pm

tandem54 wrote:Those are pretty harsh words aren’t they Roger; it might not take a lot to make a tire lose air. Certainly not so much as to make the wheel unsafe? I would think John or anyone should know by looking at it just how bad it is. IMHO

You are right they are harsh words and meant to be! I really believe that when you are depending on those two wheels to keep you alive why screw around when you can do it right. You can't know just by looking at it if it has hairline cracks that will fail at high speed or when you ride over something in the road you did not see. I had a rear tire lose air and come off the rim at a fairly slow speed and I can tell you that is the scariest thing I have experienced in all my years of riding. That includes totalling my last bike and sliding down the road at quite a fast speed. I thought I had come off the bike on my right side then slid down the road on my back. After, when I looked at my helmet the chin guard was almost worn through. Both sides of the helmet as well as the back and top were quite worn from scraping on the road. If I had not had a full face helmet on I wouldn't be writing this reply to you. You need to do everything possible to keep safe when riding. If you can't afford it don't ride it but keep breathing.
By the way I had fingerless gloves on and the road chewed the tops of my fingers pretty good and took a year for them to heal. I will never wear fingerless gloves again.
Roger Caron

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:05 pm

I agree about cracks, he didn’t say how big or bad the wheel is.
I also agree Fingerless Gloves are worthless!!
I never could figure out why people wear them. I wear gloves ALL the time.
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed May 04, 2011 9:23 am

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned it, but you can get your wheel straightened. I had this done once in Europe, the crack test it afterwards and it worked great. I have had it done here in the USA on my car wheel when I clipped a curb. I am sure you can get your wheel straightened here (assuming it's not cracked and the bend is not very large). Of course if you have a spoked wheel then get a new rim and have the wheel relaced and your done..

Gary

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 am

john56 wrote:Hi
It appears my rim has a little bend in it causing a slow leak for my front tire. Would you recommend a tube or is there something else know to fix?
John

Hey John how are you sir, how bad is the little bend, is it visable or what, are you sure it's leaking at the rim? The reason I ask is sometimes the valve leaks out air slowly...I wonder if someone did that when changing a tire out, the only other way I guess would be to smack something like a curb, how did the bend get there, was it on your watch, maybe a shop did it, maybe they dropped it..oh :o ? Can you take a photo and post it ..Thanks John, get back to us please.... How long has it been this way? He probably won't be back...Someone was pretty rude to him.. Roger try to be a little more polite man ok.. Please.. :D

caronroger

Postby caronroger » Wed May 04, 2011 10:34 am

Little Beaver, I will try.
I just hate to see people try to nickle & dime things when their life is at stake.
Roger

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed May 04, 2011 10:40 am

Yes, you got me wearing all my gear again after your accident discription.. :lol: :lol: How's Texas my sisters in Victoria.. :D I think he should buy a new rim too..

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed May 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Calm down people. This is not proper protocol on this forum. Go to Face Book or Twitter if you want to rant. :!: :!: :!: John asked a perfectly good question. Lets give him a civil answer.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

caronroger

Postby caronroger » Wed May 04, 2011 7:16 pm

DingDong,
You made a statement about a civil reply. I would think a civil reply would include recommending buying a new rim as I suggested. I truly believe in playing it safe and doing the needful instead of taking shortcuts to save a buck.
This is my last response on this subject and John should do what he feels is best.
Roger Caron

lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 am

I road and a slightly bent rim for years on my BMW. It held air just fine. what ever you do , don't try to straighten It ! it surely will brake.
None of us can see how bad the rim is. soo its a guess. and as one member stated. Safety 1st !
as I see it . you have to determine where air leak is. If its indeed the rim bent that bad I would not ride it. you can look around for used rims, I have seen them cheep enough on EBAY. and locally. at least for 11&1200's . the newer bikes of course have less used to offer.
I installed a tube in the rear of my 1100. had a 16 P nail in it. plug would not work, so the local bike shop sold me a tube. I will run out the tire this summer and put another Metzler on it this next winter.
LB

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue May 17, 2011 6:16 pm

A steel wheel can be straightened safely other types, not so much. As far as tires, I have been running a car tire on my VTX for years with no regrets. When the wing needs a new rear it will be a car tire. If the leak is determined to be at the bent part you MIGHT be able to tube it. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Try using Craigslist for a different rim. There are all kinds of options available to you just be careful and do it correctly.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”