Got-R-Done

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Got-R-Done

Postby lbman » Mon May 09, 2011 7:31 am

Well, I have spent countless hours repairing the fairing. It's As done as its going to get!
I used a ABS Plastic to glue and re-enforce it from the back. then filled in the holes with glue and plastic. then used Bondo for the final scratch seal. it is easier to sand on than plastic. Painted it with Plastic cote paint. Finish is a bit ruff so I might have to light sand it and use a clear coat . this is my 1st attempt at body work.
I removed bent forks , Polished up the used forks Lowers with Die grinder and small buffing wheel. they look pretty good. I replaced springs in front shocks with Progressive and put them all back together.
the rear shocks then came off and i replaced the springs with progressive springs. Made the handy dandy spring compressor tool from the floor flanges and all thread. Very do-able but 1st one took me a while.
put them on bike. tried to fill rear shocks with Fork Oil from a small squirt tube...NO GO..removed the shocks , were not bolted on yet, compressed them enough to add the proper amount of ATF, then put em back on bike. this time I threaded the air lines on 1st. ;-}... Put fairing back together, and back on bike. Missing one of those half round fairing nuts and screw,,,dam it anyway!
touched up and cleaned things as I re assembled. and its all back together. TOO Tired to take it for a ride! after 4 days of working on it plus all the time in fairing repair OMG Gal friend and boys were bummed I spent so much time on bike and not them. Grrrrrowl "Who's Gonna Do It?" is all I had to say! Just firing it up and driving out of Shed I could Tell the Difference in how the front end felt,, so Lite. Go figure Bent Shocks for how many thousands of miles.... am looking forward to riding Today....should Call In Sick Again.. this is all done with a head cold!
I will ride it to work this morning.
oh and while putting it back together i realized brake pads are shot and need replacement Soon...Drat
LB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Got-R-Done

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 am

Good job! Let us know what you think of it once you've had the chance to get it out and running!

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 am

good show bro , hope she runs like a new 1 ,

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Drove it to work yesterday. noticed a vibration but as far as ride goes.But, Tires are worn a little weird from front shock being Bent.
Holycow! its a different Bike. I finally looked at the installation instructions for the progressive rear springs..lol says to Disconnect pressure switch wire and ground it..LOL guess I don't have to ask the board why the rear air pressure light flickers...LOL Common Cents????but I have NO Money..can't afford It!!!.
One thing that really disturbed me when I returned home to re-align front wheel with Handle Bars. When I went to loosen axle Nuts they were NOT Tight!!!! I know i tighten them. checked them twice!
all I can figure is....axle was not centered in grooves and it worked loose a little bit...gave me a sick feeling. I think I might remove Nuts tonight and add a little "Blue" Thread Lock. I will check them before I go home. but I bet I have answered Why.
if you have Not switched to progressive springs..by all means Do It..No more bottoming out. still smooth going down the road. Feels like the Bike (not me) Lost weight.
Thanks to those who Post and share knowledge and experience. or just give people a hard time...
LB
p.s. after carb sync bike runs perfect ! got 40MPG last tank.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 10, 2011 3:40 pm

I always worried about those axle nuts. Even though I tighten them to spec, they never feel quite tight enough to me. Losing those would be disastrous to say the least. I may go back and use some loctite on mine as well.

If anyone ever read through this guy's fantastic story of riding a Goldwing across North America for five months, there was a point in his trip where he was having bad front end wobbling, and when he found a little bike shop along the way to take it to, the guys turned white - he had lost two axle nuts and the axle keeper on one side, lost one axle nut on the other side, and the only thing holding his front wheel on was one, loose nut.

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Tue May 10, 2011 4:01 pm

our Mechanic at work told me you almost have to pop a wheelie to get it to fall off. he said they are supposed to be tighten cris/cross. and "lock tight" wouldn't be a half bad Idea..He was one of the previous owners of my bike also said he changed the timing belts. a few thousand miles ago. I will do it again Next winter. cheep Insurance. times and miles slip away from us all...
LB

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Tue May 10, 2011 9:11 pm

lbman wrote:Drove it to work yesterday. noticed a vibration but as far as ride goes.But, Tires are worn a little weird from front shock being Bent.
Holycow! its a different Bike. I finally looked at the installation instructions for the progressive rear springs..lol says to Disconnect pressure switch wire and ground it..LOL guess I don't have to ask the board why the rear air pressure light flickers...LOL Common Cents????but I have NO Money..can't afford It!!!.
One thing that really disturbed me when I returned home to re-align front wheel with Handle Bars. When I went to loosen axle Nuts they were NOT Tight!!!! I know i tighten them. checked them twice!
all I can figure is....axle was not centered in grooves and it worked loose a little bit...gave me a sick feeling. I think I might remove Nuts tonight and add a little "Blue" Thread Lock. I will check them before I go home. but I bet I have answered Why.
if you have Not switched to progressive springs..by all means Do It..No more bottoming out. still smooth going down the road. Feels like the Bike (not me) Lost weight.
Thanks to those who Post and share knowledge and experience. or just give people a hard time...
LB
p.s. after carb sync bike runs perfect ! got 40MPG last tank.

your so right , i have them front and back on my 85 1200a , its a good ride , use to have a 06 vtx1300 , that sucker about beat ya to death , i was gonna put them on the vtx , but had to part ways with it , and ended up with my wing

Return to “Goldwing Chat”