Stability when riding on grassy areas

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Stability when riding on grassy areas

Postby Steve F » Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm not wealthy, and don't have the best of places, and I have to keep the bike ('03 GL1800) in the shed. Don't get me wrong, the "shed" is actually half of a grarage. To get out and back, I have to ride through the yard, and have a tough time sometimes keeping the bike upright. It's almost like riding on marbles and seems really squirrely. I take it really easy, but sometimes the rear tire wants to slide out from under me. Too slow, and the bike wants to tip over..too fast, and I feel like the bikes gonna be impossible to turn and/or stop. Really difficult to handle sometimes. I have a couple of Honda CB750F's that I ride a lot, and this has never been an issue with those bikes. Any suggestions?
The tires are typicaal road tires, definately not for off-roading.
Steve F

"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Stability when riding on grassy areas

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 12, 2011 12:16 am

Too slow and the bumps in the grass will displace the bike enough that you might not recover. I ride on grass the same way I ride on gravel: loose arms, keep the handlebars pointed more or less straight, but allow them to move - don't fight it, and ride around 10-15 mph, enough to start feeling the bumps, not slow enough that the bike gets displaced. If it's really bumpy, I'll lift off the seat slightly. Just be as smooth as you can.

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri May 13, 2011 5:03 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Too slow and the bumps in the grass will displace the bike enough that you might not recover. I ride on grass the same way I ride on gravel: loose arms, keep the handlebars pointed more or less straight, but allow them to move - don't fight it, and ride around 10-15 mph, enough to start feeling the bumps, not slow enough that the bike gets displaced. If it's really bumpy, I'll lift off the seat slightly. Just be as smooth as you can.

What he said^^^^^ and ^^^^^^^ if you can get a sheet of plywood for just the entrance to the shed, it may help when you get to it. Just make sure you DON'T hit the throttle while your'e on it. When your'e done, stand the sheet on its edge and, if you can, slide it in the shed too. If not, slide it up next to the shed. Before I had my driveway I used plywood to get to my garage. My drive was dirt, not grass.

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 pm

i have to run thru the grass and then on sand to park mine in my bike trailor , i just put my legs down and clutch walk it thru the sand to my trailor

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat May 14, 2011 8:29 am

I bought an 18' trailer and parked it in the back of one side of my driveway, reversed, so the drop door opens to the street, and it works really fine. Before that, I set a line of patio stones into the lawn in a line to the shed where I kept the bikes. That ended any grass slide problems, and let me get in and out when the lawn was really wet, like spring, or after heavy rain. I had to cut the grass out in the shape of the two foot by two foot slabs, so it was not bumpy. It worked perfectly, but I never had any room to work in my shed, which is a big shed (16' X 20') what with two bikes in there as well as all the crap one tends to accumulate, lol.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Sat May 14, 2011 11:11 pm

themainviking wrote:I bought an 18' trailer and parked it in the back of one side of my driveway, reversed, so the drop door opens to the street, and it works really fine. Before that, I set a line of patio stones into the lawn in a line to the shed where I kept the bikes. That ended any grass slide problems, and let me get in and out when the lawn was really wet, like spring, or after heavy rain. I had to cut the grass out in the shape of the two foot by two foot slabs, so it was not bumpy. It worked perfectly, but I never had any room to work in my shed, which is a big shed (16' X 20') what with two bikes in there as well as all the crap one tends to accumulate, lol.

Viking

thats what i do , my trailor is the garage for my wing

Return to “Goldwing Chat”