Ethanol


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
fatslob
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Buffalo, New York
Motorcycle: 1977 honda GL1000

Ethanol

Postby fatslob » Fri May 13, 2011 8:56 pm



Hello, I'm getting back into riding after about 30 years and have a question about our gas. I picked up a naked 77 Goldwing with 5800 miles. My question is this: should I use an additive with our 10% or 15% ethanol and what should I use. Thanks for your info or opinions. I really enjoy the site.


Thanks, Bob



actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Ethanol

Postby actionpack » Fri May 13, 2011 10:36 pm

just for kicks , i use marine stabil additives to my fuel , it greeen or maybe blue , don't remember
Image

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Ethanol

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 14, 2011 7:34 am

I use the marine Sta-bil as well, and yes, it is green. It's also better at preventing separation of the ethanol from the gasoline.

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Ethanol

Postby themainviking » Sat May 14, 2011 8:14 am

How does the red Stabil stand up as compared to the Green Marine stuff? I have always used the red in everything else, like lawn mowers, snowblowers, etc.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Ethanol

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 14, 2011 8:29 am

From http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx#278

Q: What is the difference between STA-BIl Fuel Stabilizer, Marine Formula STA-BIL, and the new STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment products?
A: STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer is designed for use during STORAGE of any gasoline equipment or vehicle stored for 30 days or more, or used infrequently. It will keep gas fresh for 12 months, and help prevent corrosion, and gum and varnish formation. It is effective in all gasolines, including Ethanol blends, including E-85.
Marine Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment was designed for use at every fill up for marine engines (boats, jetskis) to protect against the damaging effects experienced when using Ethanol blended fuels -- including corrosion caused by water attraction, and fuel system plugging caused by deposit loosening.
New STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment is designed for use at every fill up for all gasoline automotive and small engines for protection against these same problems.

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Ethanol

Postby themainviking » Sat May 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Wonderful post WingAdmin... I guess if I had thought of it, I could have found that, but I honestly did not think to do a search. I had no idea STA-Bil had come out with these products for these purposes, even tho I had used the Marine Green formula. I thought it was the same as the old red STA-Bil, with an extra something for salt air and humidity. This is just great info, and I thank you. I don't think we have the large amounts of ethanol added in Canada, but I could be wrong about that too, however, with my intentions to travel in the U.S. this year, perhaps some of the new formula should travel with me.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Ethanol

Postby actionpack » Sat May 14, 2011 10:50 pm

now that they have given the go ahead on the e85 , were going to have to watch when it comes to your towns , and make sure we use the new stabil made for e85 , and use it in all our equibment we use at home and in the old bikes
Image

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17047
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Ethanol

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 15, 2011 9:49 am

There's no way e85 is going into any engine I own.

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Ethanol

Postby actionpack » Sun May 15, 2011 10:33 am

WingAdmin wrote:There's no way e85 is going into any engine I own.

what are ya gonna use , high test fuel , i hear there is no corn in it , we mite not have to many options once they push it
Image

User avatar
Sally
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Dundee,NY
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Re: Ethanol

Postby Sally » Sun May 15, 2011 6:42 pm

I use techtron by chevron black bottle auto zone walmart or car quest GOOD STUFF also use the blue/green sta ble. Some run high grade gas BUT remember this if the pump only has one hose to despense different grade of gas it takes two or three gallons to switch over grade by the time the pump filter and hose fills so the next guy get the benifit of you paying the higher price. seeing motorcycles only take three or four gallons. So if you want high grade take your car and put the first five gallons in car and fill a gas can.. Sally

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Ethanol

Postby actionpack » Sun May 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Sally wrote:I use techtron by chevron black bottle auto zone walmart or car quest GOOD STUFF also use the blue/green sta ble. Some run high grade gas BUT remember this if the pump only has one hose to despense different grade of gas it takes two or three gallons to switch over grade by the time the pump filter and hose fills so the next guy get the benifit of you paying the higher price. seeing motorcycles only take three or four gallons. So if you want high grade take your car and put the first five gallons in car and fill a gas can.. Sally

good point sally , i had forgot about that , thanks
Image

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Ethanol

Postby WA9FWT » Sun May 15, 2011 10:23 pm

actionpack wrote:now that they have given the go ahead on the e85 , were going to have to watch when it comes to your towns , and make sure we use the new stabil made for e85 , and use it in all our equibment we use at home and in the old bikes


If your engine manual doesn't recomend using E-85.....stay away from it Period!!
E-85 has been around for some time, but we are just now seeing it on the market. How ever you will see in not to far down the road is 15% ethanol....Of coarse that is beinng challenged too.

WA9FWT Phil

fatslob
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Buffalo, New York
Motorcycle: 1977 honda GL1000

Re: Ethanol

Postby fatslob » Mon May 16, 2011 7:24 am

Hi, apparently I've opened a Pandora's Box of comments! It's great to get so much info for someone like me who is just getting back into riding again. I'm renewing a 77 naked goldwing that has only 5867 miles. But, the last owner left all fluids in it for 10 years of sitting! Most of the work has been to rebuild brake and water systems. Of course the gas tank was a mess, which has been relined. That's why such great feed back is so important to keep the bike in good shape after I'm done. ( Hopefully Photos to Follow)

Thanks again, Bob Papin

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Ethanol

Postby actionpack » Mon May 16, 2011 11:21 am

WingAdmin wrote:There's no way e85 is going into any engine I own.

i asked this already , but i would like to no how your going to handle this e85 , if ya got a plan , shareing it with us would be great , i don't have a clue what to use when it comes time to make the decision on what to put in all my power equibment and wing and my truck , i thought the new stabil additive for e85 was the answer , thanks in advance wa
Image

User avatar
WA9FWT
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: sheboygan WI U.S. A.
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Ethanol

Postby WA9FWT » Mon May 16, 2011 12:42 pm

actionpack wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:There's no way e85 is going into any engine I own.

i asked this already , but i would like to no how your going to handle this e85 , if ya got a plan , shareing it with us would be great , i don't have a clue what to use when it comes time to make the decision on what to put in all my power equibment and wing and my truck , i thought the new stabil additive for e85 was the answer , thanks in advance wa

Yes, I have a plan...I stick with what the manuals of each peace of equiment suggests for fuel.All my equipmment is older and and they all call for " Regular " fuel. On less you have a engine ( Flex-fuel vehicle )
do not use it period....
E85 actually reduces your MPG, tests of proven this time and time again. Do a search and you will find out what
crap that E85 is. " Wikipedia " has a pretty good artical on E85!
There are a lot more manufactures out there then "Stabil " that make a stablizer for fuel, even Briggs & stratton
has a fuel cap with a stablizer in the cap that drips into the fuel. If you run your engine on a regular basis, other words run it often, there is no need for a fuel stabilizer.
WA9FWT Phil

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Ethanol

Postby actionpack » Mon May 16, 2011 4:34 pm

WA9FWT wrote:
actionpack wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:There's no way e85 is going into any engine I own.

i asked this already , but i would like to no how your going to handle this e85 , if ya got a plan , shareing it with us would be great , i don't have a clue what to use when it comes time to make the decision on what to put in all my power equibment and wing and my truck , i thought the new stabil additive for e85 was the answer , thanks in advance wa

Yes, I have a plan...I stick with what the manuals of each peace of equiment suggests for fuel.All my equipmment is older and and they all call for " Regular " fuel. On less you have a engine ( Flex-fuel vehicle )
do not use it period....
E85 actually reduces your MPG, tests of proven this time and time again. Do a search and you will find out what
crap that E85 is. " Wikipedia " has a pretty good artical on E85!
There are a lot more manufactures out there then "Stabil " that make a stablizer for fuel, even Briggs & stratton
has a fuel cap with a stablizer in the cap that drips into the fuel. If you run your engine on a regular basis, other words run it often, there is no need for a fuel stabilizer.
WA9FWT Phil

i'm not defending this junk fuel e85 , i was wondering what is going to be out there for us when they just have this junk at the pump , now i may be down under befor it happens , just a question is all i'm asking , thanks for your feed back , we had a lawn service for 22 yrs and did all my own repair and service work on them ,and i know what these engines need , i do know that high test fuels in mowers don't work , i found out the hard way , on my zero turn 2 cylinder dixson i took out 2 valves running high test , its 2 hot for small engines
Image

TheArtist
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:13 pm
Location: dell rapids
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000

Re: Ethanol

Postby TheArtist » Thu May 19, 2011 12:17 pm

What I dislike in people is having the lack of knowledge of ethanol. E-85 should only be used in vechicles designed to run on it. There are very few E-85 pumps out there and they should be well marked. Alot of small motors say in there manual, E 10 will work fine. Some states do not have reg gas, so useing stabil is a good idea anyway.
I do suggest to learn more on ethanol, it will be around for years to come. From feed stock and biomass.

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Ethanol

Postby actionpack » Thu May 19, 2011 9:15 pm

TheArtist wrote:What I dislike in people is having the lack of knowledge of ethanol. E-85 should only be used in vechicles designed to run on it. There are very few E-85 pumps out there and they should be well marked. Alot of small motors say in there manual, E 10 will work fine. Some states do not have reg gas, so useing stabil is a good idea anyway.
I do suggest to learn more on ethanol, it will be around for years to come. From feed stock and biomass.

i agree , in time thats all that will be there if they have there way
Image

blackbird
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Onalaska, WA
Motorcycle: 1966 305 Scrambler
1968 Trail 90
1970 Trail 90
1995 Pacific Coast
1983 GL1100A
2008 GL 1800

Re: Ethanol

Postby blackbird » Fri May 20, 2011 8:54 am

Another option is "Yamalube", fuel stabilizer and conditioner. None of these stabilizers are cheap, but at 1 ounce per 3 gallons of fuel, I would rather pay an extra 50 cents to keep my engine working for a long time instead of having all the seals ruined with alcohol.

User avatar
thrasherg
Posts: 1837
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am
Location: Plano, TX
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Ethanol

Postby thrasherg » Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 am

Why can't we just convince the government that this is bad for the environment and economy and get Ethanol removed from the gas.. Ethanol cannot be a long term solution as we need something to replace petroleum long term (Electric, hydrogen, etc) so in the mean time stop messing up everyone's engines and focus on a long term solution? Everyone talks as if we have no control over what is happening, the politicians are suppose to represent us, so make sure your local delegate knows your feelings and represents what you want and not what someone else wants.. I'll get off my soapbox now!! :D

Gary

User avatar
suvcw04
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: NE Iowa
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Re: Ethanol

Postby suvcw04 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:38 pm

I live in Northeast Iowa, surrounded by cornfields and an ethanol plant on very corner. Have used E10 (we call it gasahol) for over 30 years, but not anymore. When they started talking about 15 percent, I quit. 10 percent gives you 95 percent of the pop that pure gas has, (hence the loss of gas mileage) so there has to be at least a 5 percent difference in price to make it pay. There isn't. And, the older the vehicle, the more you should avoid it.

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Ethanol

Postby actionpack » Fri May 20, 2011 10:21 pm

suvcw04 wrote:I live in Northeast Iowa, surrounded by cornfields and an ethanol plant on very corner. Have used E10 (we call it gasahol) for over 30 years, but not anymore. When they started talking about 15 percent, I quit. 10 percent gives you 95 percent of the pop that pure gas has, (hence the loss of gas mileage) so there has to be at least a 5 percent difference in price to make it pay. There isn't. And, the older the vehicle, the more you should avoid it.

are you talking we should not use what , 15 percent or 10percent , if both of these you don't use , what do you put in your tanks
Image

User avatar
suvcw04
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: NE Iowa
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Re: Ethanol

Postby suvcw04 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:30 am

Luckily, all the stations in Iowa sell non-ethanol gas, so that's what I use. I did use 10 percent for many years before that in everything from chain saws to cars. I would use 10 percent if that were my only choice, and not worry about it. It's just that with only a 10 cent price break and a 5 percent power and MPG loss, and the extremely remote chance of fuel system damage, I don't burn ethanol in anything now. It's more a matter of economics than a problem with the gas. At 15 percent . . . no way.
As a side note, both of my bikes (and my lawnmower) sat from late November until a few days ago, and all started and ran just fine. I had put a couple of ounces of Sea Foam in them last spring. All had regular (non-ethanol) gas in them. None had been run for over 5 months.

actionpack
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: hale , mi.
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Ethanol

Postby actionpack » Sat May 21, 2011 10:09 pm

suvcw04 wrote:Luckily, all the stations in Iowa sell non-ethanol gas, so that's what I use. I did use 10 percent for many years before that in everything from chain saws to cars. I would use 10 percent if that were my only choice, and not worry about it. It's just that with only a 10 cent price break and a 5 percent power and MPG loss, and the extremely remote chance of fuel system damage, I don't burn ethanol in anything now. It's more a matter of economics than a problem with the gas. At 15 percent . . . no way.
As a side note, both of my bikes (and my lawnmower) sat from late November until a few days ago, and all started and ran just fine. I had put a couple of ounces of Sea Foam in them last spring. All had regular (non-ethanol) gas in them. None had been run for over 5 months.

we have no pumps that have just regular unleaded anymore , gas ,
Image

mfortier
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Ethanol

Postby mfortier » Sat May 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Condisder yourselves lucky if you still have any regular gas without Ethanol. Only thing left in Manitoba is Premium grade gas that has not been blended, and almost all the single grade pumps are gone. You never know what your putting in now.




Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests