Yet another newbie here...:)

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Birdoprey
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100 Interstate
03 Hayabusa

Yet another newbie here...:)

Postby Birdoprey » Sun May 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi,

Had a fella i know give me a 81 or 82 GL1100. It would not crank a couple of years ago and after replacing the battery and having the starter checked by a local MC shop, he just let it sit in his garage. I had not seen him in a couple of years and asked him how his bike was running. Well, you already know the story. The night i picked it up i checked everything and found the starter to be in bad need of rebuilding. I picked up a new one on Ebay and got it installed this past friday. Picked up a new battery(the new one he put on it two years ago was DEAD) and the bike fired up pretty easy(had two year old gas in it). As of right now, i've gone through two tanks of fuel and lots of carb cleaner. The bike runs great, idles well and is very smooth. Carbs respond well at all rpms.
I'm new to the touring bikes. Currently have a 03 Hayabusa and have owned many late model big bore crotch rockets and have done a good deal of drag racing. Even owned a Suzuki TL1000S as well as a 89 Yamaha V-Max. I don't think i've actually enjoyed riding any of my past bikes as much as i've enjoyed riding this old 'Wing! My kids(12 year old son, 10 year old daughter) absolutely LOVE this bike. They don't wanna ride the 'Busa at all now!
There are a couple of things i don't like about the gl1100 i have...the air suspension is too mushy. Even pumped up to the max(57psi/rear, 21psi/front) the front is too mushy. The rear feels stiff enough but does not seem to react to bumps(almost like its too stiff, but if i drop the psi much at all it bottoms out). Also don't like the rpms it pulls when running 65-70mph(just over 5000rpm at 65 and just under 5500 at 70mph!).
The bike is pretty clean for its age and milage(54,000). I'm actually considering selling the 'Busa and keeping the GL! Comming from me, thats almost crazy talk, but i'm dead serious. I'm getting of an age(42) where speed and accelleration is not what i'm after. I wanna just enjoy riding. The fact that my kids like it is a HUGE bonus. My wife surely will when she gets a chance to ride it.

I'm considering fixing the suspension(Progressive 412's in the rear and Progressive springs up front), adding an aftermarket exhaust and maybe having the bike painted and keeping it. Dunno what can be done about the high rpms at 70mph though. This does kinda bug me. With that said, i'm also considering selling the bike and looking for a good used GL1500. I've never ridden one of those either, but would imagine it being more powerful, smoother and better handling than the bike i currently have(even given the planned mods if i keep it). Any thoughts? The fact that i have only around $200 in this bike is a HUGE plus for me(would allow me to sell my Busa and put a roof on my house. Would make my better half MUCHO happy!). Even with a few mods, i would not have alot in the bike, but would i be happier with a GL1500???
Any of you owned/ridden a GL1100 and a GL1500? Thoughts???

Thanks,
-Mark

Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Re: Yet another newbie here...:)

Postby Britanicus » Mon May 16, 2011 9:15 am

It seems that lots of guys have put the progressive's on the wings and really like it. There is a thread in here by LittleBeaver with quite a bit of active discussion.

Enjoy your new ride. I went from a 1985 Honda Interceptor vf1000r and while there are times I miss the old bike I still really love my Wing.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Heck, jump all the way to a GL1800 if you really want happiness, lol..... It all depends what your wallet will allow. 1500 is definitely more powerful than 1100, but if your house needs a roof - you know what they say. Happy wife - happy life. I bought my GL1800 last October, and if I had known about these five years ago, I would have jumped five years ago.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Birdoprey
Motorcycle: 82 GL1100 Interstate
03 Hayabusa

Postby Birdoprey » Mon May 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I put my Busa up for sale today. No hurry to sell it, but we will see how it goes. Would love a GL1800 but there will be no way i can swing it. Roof is not leaking or anything, just the shingles are worn and it needs doing. Going with Tin so there will be a good expense there. As much as i like the old GL1100, i figure the GL1500 will be smoother and more refined. They have a modern look to them, even though they have been produced since 88. More power won't hurt my feelings.
Took the GL1100 for a spin with a GPS on the tank and found the speedo to be reading slow. At 65 mph on the speedo, the GPS reads 70, so that explains a bit. Averaged 36mpg on the last tank of fuel running 70-75 for a good bit of it. Also some runs spinning the rpms up to make sure all was well and there are not flat spots or other issues. Not bad at all. The motor sounds/feels much happier with the rpms under 5000. Not that it had any problems spinning higher, but it felt/sounded a little taxed.

actionpack
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby actionpack » Mon May 16, 2011 11:00 pm

welcome bp , hope ya like your new wing , good luck with it

Return to “Goldwing Chat”