newbie *non-mechanically inclined ?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Gpa_Joe
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

newbie *non-mechanically inclined ?

Postby Gpa_Joe » Tue May 17, 2011 7:21 pm

ok, so i have done some research, and listening to my own bike, and I REALLY think i need to synch the carbs as everyone on here recommends. here is the thing, my wife thinks i should just leave it alone while/since it is running, and i think i can get it running real smooth, this bike was really taken care of, i am 3rd owner on an 83...

anyway, from reading thru the very clear instructions on synching carbs and equipment list needed, it surely does not look like rocket science.

my question is, has anyone ever experienced any negative issues after a carb synch? sorry if my ignorance offends anyone, just trying to learn...

Thanks much or any input/suggestions....

nhegge
Motorcycle: 1982 ASPENCADE
1978 GL1000
1987 Rebel
1981 CM 400

Re: newbie *non-mechanically inclined ?

Postby nhegge » Tue May 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Take yer time and make sure you have the proper tools . Mostly takes time . Can cause various issues , rough runnin , backfire , hesitation , power loss etc ... Have fun an keep a six pack handy fer when yer done . :lol:
Be Nice 'til it's time to be Not Nice

lbman
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 I
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Tue May 17, 2011 8:18 pm

it took me 2 tries to get it Perfect. after I had problems the 1st time I figured out that I took too long and bike radiator fan kept cycling on and off screwing up my Idle.I had Idle set up too high No tachometer. one on bike was broken...next weekend took me 15 minutes and I nailed It ! help to have a working Tach.
LB

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 18, 2011 1:37 pm

The hardest part is getting at least 2 mechanical gauges to read the same.Someone just pulled the lens off 2,black markered all the numbers,'T' connected them together,pulled a vacuum by mouth and marked increments up to 15".At least the gauges read the same.I did that.It took 30 minutes to sync them.Easy stuff.Big difference on acceleration now.

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Wed May 18, 2011 2:03 pm

mercury gauges is the fool proof way to go. mercury can't lie! if its broken everyone knows.
I work with delicate instruments sensing air flow Usually in very fine fractions of and inch pressure. I never trust mechanical gauges that much. "Unless you spend a whole bunch of money on them".then they can measure your breath from a distance...but guess what? I use old style Mercury to calibrate instruments. when I worked at a hospital in the 80's they did away with all the mercury stuff...omg overpriced stuff they replaced it with. and guess what..again we had mercury gauges mounted in a cupboard behind closed doors right above test bench to cal instruments they used in the rooms . I asked factory rep one time what they used if we sent our stuff to them. he said Mercury. I laughed and opened the test bench doors. "like This".
he didn't bug us about sending our stuff to him anymore. If you have lots of room Iv,e seen guys make them out of poly tubing. I think you need 4 ea, 8 ft lengths they fill them with tranny fluid. wont hurt nothing if you suck it down the intake. there are guys on this site who built there own also. using all kinds of metering devises. More power to Us.
glad you nailed it...makes a person feel good when you slowly roll the throttle and it just moves right on up with out making all kinds of weird noises. Idles smooth ,shifts better, better fuel More Power...arg..good stuff. Job well done.
LB

Gpa_Joe

Postby Gpa_Joe » Wed May 18, 2011 4:34 pm

thanks for all the input fellas, i am still undecided, or actually trying to figure out how to convince the old lady to let me tear into the bike... :D

i think i would make the 4 machanical gauge route from harbor frieght.

i am a little worried about the possibly issues this can cause, as it is, she runs real good. chattery on load, as mentioned, but has no problem when i kick up the rpms...

just know in my head, she (the bike) wants to purr... :D

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Wed May 18, 2011 5:38 pm

the boxer motor is designed to run at around 3-4000 rpm hi-way speed .if I'm running in the county speed 45 i run in 4th at 35 i run in 2nd. I can not ride my 1100 like i did the Harley's'. but my BMWR90 was the same as the wing. it liked it @ 3-4000 rpm..it took some getting used too but when i learned to keep up the rpm up a little in every gear it shifts smoother and is more quiet.. no growling. so now if it starts complaining a bit i drop it down a cog. try it you'll....Mikey Did!!!!
LB

Slowleadmccey
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade
In work.

Postby Slowleadmccey » Wed May 18, 2011 5:44 pm

I don't know what the mechanical HF tool costs but Saber cycle has a mercury one for 55 bucks. You probably already knew that though.

http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product790.html
Deo Volente,
Slow Lead McCey

Gpa_Joe

Postby Gpa_Joe » Wed May 18, 2011 5:59 pm

55 bucks, i dont think i could make one that cheap...?

thanks for the tip... :)

lbman
ex bikes
82XJ Yamaha
76 R90/7 BMW
72Harley sportster.pos
90 FLHTC Harley
86 FXRT Harley
74 Glide Harley
72 750 Yamaha
too many more to list.

Postby lbman » Wed May 18, 2011 7:55 pm

that's where I got mine.. works great all the restricters are there and 2 sizes of adapters. they are butt heads if you ask them any ?'s though "Parts Nazi's " ask a ? and NO Soup For You !!!!!!
1st sync i did and it was Paid for.
LB

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Sat May 21, 2011 8:13 am

I haven't done it but am considering making up a gaget I saw on a Venture site for carbs. It is just two glass bottles 1/2 full of lite oil with a hose from each bottle in to tthe oils so the levels will equalize. Then two longer hoses to the vacume ports. The carb which is sucking more will move more of the oil in the jar to its jar. Level the two oil levels in the jar's and all is good. Then move to the next carb keeping one hose conected to the carb with no adjustment. You need to seal the holes where the tubes go into the glass lids though Like I say never built one but the therory sounds good....I have used mercury carb sink's and found them to be very tedious...... I set it up so the wife could watch the mercury while I did the adjustments to get her involved. Helped take the (why are you fooling with that for away) because she could see the changes in the way the motor ran with the adjustments..... either way it is just time

frank

Return to “Goldwing Chat”