Three's a charm?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Three's a charm?

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 29, 2011 11:43 am

With the brief appearance of sun yesterday, I grabbed the opportunity and went out riding for a couple hours. I had a couple things happen that I haven't happen to me before.

First: In broad daylight, in the middle of a downtown area, I had a deer (doe) run out in front of me. I had to slam on my brakes, the deer skittered across the road and vanished. I had a look, didn't see any more (they often come in bunches), and went on. Two guys on bikes coming the other way saw the whole thing happen, and gave me a thumbs up. I've had deer come out across in front of me before, but never that close, and never in the middle of the day, in town, like that.

Second: When I stopped to fuel up close to home, I pulled the key out of the ignition to open the tank compartment, and it slipped out of my (gloved) hand, dropping into the area of wires that comes out of the fairing on the left side. I reached down to rescue it, and it dropped INTO the lower cowling, next to the radiator. I didn't even realize there was a place for that to happen, but of course, that's exactly where it went. I had to go into the gas station and beg a screwdriver from them so I could unscrew the lower cowling screw on the bottom and rescue my key. Anyone ever have that happen before?

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Three's a charm?

Postby HALBUDD » Sun May 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Holly cow !! are you kidding me WingAdmin does not carry a screwdriver on his bike what is the world coming to. Time to hide that extra key on your bike,and put some deer whistles on the wing. Just having fun with ya WingAdmin and I really liked your post in just for fun. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 29, 2011 11:06 pm

HALBUDD wrote:Holly cow !! are you kidding me WingAdmin does not carry a screwdriver on his bike what is the world coming to. Time to hide that extra key on your bike,and put some deer whistles on the wing. Just having fun with ya WingAdmin and I really liked your post in just for fun. Hal

Of course I have a screwdriver on my bike, among many other tools. Locked inside one of the panniers. For which I need a key....

I also have a spare key stashed in my bike....but I need a screwdriver to get to it. :) I'll have to have a bit of a re-think about that.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun May 29, 2011 11:17 pm

Of course I have a screwdriver on my bike, among many other tools. Locked inside one of the panniers. For which I need a key....

I also have a spare key stashed in my bike....but I need a screwdriver to get to it. :) I'll have to have a bit of a re-think about that.

Now thats really funny :lol:
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun May 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Halbudd's funny... :lol: :lol: yes, something like that happened to me with the key but it did fall way down like that but I sure couldn't find it, Ok, I don't drink beer all the time but on this day I wanted some ice cold Coors light so I stopped at a liquor store, I turned the bike off pulled my gloves off turned the stereo off and went inside, now, I thought I put my key in my pocket like I usually do but when I came out of the store I put my Coors in my trunk box [unlocked] and reached into my pocket to get my key out, no key and it sure wasn't in the ignition or in the rear trunk, I couldn't find it, it fell down into the false tank but my wooden Honda label thingy I made stopped it from going down into the dark place from Hell, store clerk thought I was crazy , I spend 10 minutes looking for the silly key an finally found it..and a few years back when I just bought my Nomad I was downtown and this fool ran a stop sign and I had to lock it up, stalled the bike and all, lots of witnesses, just shaking their heads at the guy that ran the stop sign right in the middle of downtown Jeff. City Mo..A deer jumped over the hood of our new Impala we just got a few years ago, my daughter and I could not believe it didn't hit us...I braked just enough to miss it because I saw something out of the corner of my eye,, really quick reaction, we were going about 40mph's and it was dark...... We both freaked out on that one too close for comfort for sure, it was a sign :shock: :o ...Be very careful..I just got a visual, Halbudd's riding down the road with a deer whistle in his mouth just a tooting away... ha ha... :lol: :lol:

macka
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Postby macka » Mon May 30, 2011 6:27 am

I live in critter cental LOL. One morning I went outside to see a bear walking down the street with a garbage bag in his mouth. The bag was a foot off the ground, and it wasn't no little kitchen sack. Another time I was driving through cook state park in MN and I slowed down because I saw bambi in the ditch, and the gent riding behind me did the same and bambi's mother ran between us. One word of advice, don't hit mountain goats, they are solid little critters. 20G worth of damage to the rig, and 2 days downtime at the dealership waiting for new parts for the pete.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Mon May 30, 2011 4:20 pm

You guys are killing me,and to littlebever the P.O. put the deer whistles on my bike so I dont have to worry about deers they probably know just when to run out in front of me . Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 30, 2011 4:50 pm

Don't know if this counts as the three or not: I spent the afternoon putting new ball joints in my truck. When I pressed out the upper ball joint on the left side, instead of pressing out neatly, the entire upper control arm bent and broke (thanks to rust). Grrrr....new control arms on order, and it looks like my main mode of transportation is now two wheels for the next week or so.

I did go for a ride this morning however, with Mrs. Wingadmin, who is progressing very well. It's rather tame and boring riding behind her, but she's loving every minute of it, so I can't complain much. Next weekend is my ERC course, and the weekend after that she's taking her MSF basic course.

macka

Postby macka » Mon May 30, 2011 5:09 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Don't know if this counts as the three or not: I spent the afternoon putting new ball joints in my truck. When I pressed out the upper ball joint on the left side, instead of pressing out neatly, the entire upper control arm bent and broke (thanks to rust). Grrrr....new control arms on order, and it looks like my main mode of transportation is now two wheels for the next week or so.

I did go for a ride this morning however, with Mrs. Wingadmin, who is progressing very well. It's rather tame and boring riding behind her, but she's loving every minute of it, so I can't complain much. Next weekend is my ERC course, and the weekend after that she's taking her MSF basic course.

Yes that counts as 3. Its good to see you are upgrading your skills. The advanced pylon dodging course is tougher then it sounds. They will catch you up on details, but you will learn a lot and catch some bad habits you picked up riding since your MSF. The company I work for makes us take a refresher course every year for driving. Doesn't do jack for my insurance, but it has saved my bacon more then once. It also has helped me detect cops further up the road then my untrained friends.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon May 30, 2011 7:55 pm

WingAdmin. at least you caught that ball joint in time mine went on me as I was driving away from my house in front one year, the whole right side collapsed and I put a pretty good scar on the street, called Geico and they towed it to the nearest chevy dealer a few miles away, I screwed up the arm too, the whole deal was like $700.00 to fix but I had the truck back that same day, it happened about 10 am got the truck back by 5pm..Costly but worth it.. I hope your luck get's better..

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm

I used all 3 of them at once. Last year, riding on a busy 2 lane main highway near Raleigh, travelling along at 60 MPH, my front tire went flat. (The L shaped valve stem broke.) So while my cheeks are grabbing the seat, afraid to use brakes, downshifting as fast as I can, while the bike moves from one side of my lane to the other. 3 dumptrucks coming at me. No shoulder on the right, just a 20 foot dropoff. It almost went down twice. Finally (after prob 150 yards) the ditch on the right shallows up, i squeeze the clutch and coast over into the ditch. The pick up that was behind me pulled over as far as he could and turned his flashers on to keep the other vehicles off of me. I'm sure I was white as a ghost, he got out and asked if I was OK. Told him I would be as soon as I could breathe again. Called a buddy with a trailer and asked him to come get me (about 30 miles). When he got there, we were loading up the bike and a dump truck driver stopped and helped us get it on the trailer. He told me ' Man, you scared the **** out of me!' He was the second truck coming at me. I told him he shoulda been sitting where I was! Got home ordered new tire, put straight valve on the wheel. I'll never trust those L shaped ones again.
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 30, 2011 8:47 pm

macka wrote:Yes that counts as 3. Its good to see you are upgrading your skills. The advanced pylon dodging course is tougher then it sounds. They will catch you up on details, but you will learn a lot and catch some bad habits you picked up riding since your MSF. The company I work for makes us take a refresher course every year for driving. Doesn't do jack for my insurance, but it has saved my bacon more then once. It also has helped me detect cops further up the road then my untrained friends.

I never actually took the MSF - when I started riding around 25 years ago, there was no such thing. I do make a habit of taking the ERC every couple of years however, to wipe out any bad habits I may have picked up since the last time I took it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:48 am

The ERC was good fun, it ended up running 8 hours instead of the regular 5, but that was fine with me. I never fail to come away from that course without learning something new, or identifying a bad habit I had acquired. It was however very hot and sunny. I had stuck a cooler bag full of water and ice packs in one of my side bags so I was fine, but some people were drinking very little, and were suffering after a few hours. I did however get absolutely scorched in the sun - I put on sun block at the beginning of the day, but I guess pulling your helmet on and off all day tends to scrub it off.

As for my truck - got the first wheel done, put the brake caliper on, and one of the caliper bolts sheared off inside the caliper. No way to get it out, so I ended up having to drill it and use an EZ-Out to get it out, which worked, thankfully. Finished the second wheel last night, now it's off getting aligned.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:17 pm

What's ERC [Employers, Resource Council] is this an Ohio thing..??? What are some bad habits you got rid of.. ERC Extended Riders course ha ha..Really what is it..??? I don't know of this ERC..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Experienced Rider Course - a course put on by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It's a good way to tune up your skills once in a while.

macka

Postby macka » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:52 am

They teach you wonderful things like how to read drivers body language, what to look for in traffic, tune up your driving skills, skills to keep you upright, passing techniques, spacing between vehicles, road rules, and sometimes they even throw in updates on new laws.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”