Toy Haulers

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
bigrnm
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 w/premium audio, comfor package, Navigation/ABS systems

Toy Haulers

Postby bigrnm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi guys,
I am interested in buying a toy hauler. I have a 2008 GL1800 and I wanted to go and camp in comfort now since I am getting up in age now, and someone was telling me that I should get a toy hauler. I have looked on the internet at some, but it seems overwhelming the amount of floorplans and options available.
My question is,
What should I be looking for in getting a toy hauler that will be able to carry my GL1800 without incident?

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: Toy Haulers

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:31 pm

What are you looking for????? A fifth wheel or a pull behind camper????? I have a place in Texas that sells on concinement and they have some really good buys in the r.v. department. I'll post the site and if the admins have a problem they can pull it and let me know and I'll p.m. you with it. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv_parts_rv_accessories.htmI've been thinking about a toy hauler too for when I retire. I plan to sell the house and live in the camper and move with the weather. I'm planning on a fifth wheel or a diesel pusher. Good luck with the descission.

bigrnm

Postby bigrnm » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks vtx,
I am looking for a pull behind. My tundra can only haul 5000 lbs. according to my owner's manual, even though I have the tow package and it is a four wheel drive. That seems kind of low, doesn't it?
Anyway, thanks for the link, I shall check it out.
bigrnm

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:46 am

5000 lbs isn't much....I have an 05 duramax and i pull a 5th wheel trailer (wish it was a toy hauler) and it groses over 11000 lbs fully loaded, and the truck doesn't even know there is anything behind it. I would check further either in the manual or with a dealer. I would think the 5000 lbs is the axle rating for the rear axle only. You should have a weight rating for the front and back axles and a third rating for the grosse vehicle weight rating (GVWR).

frank

Diesel Dan
Motorcycle: Big Bird is an 09 Yellow Air Bag

Postby Diesel Dan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:57 am

If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. BF

bigrnm

Postby bigrnm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:19 am

You're right Frank,
the 5000 lbs. was just for the bumper towing weight, not the hitch. The GVWR rating says 11800 lbs. I am still not sure about all those numbers because I have never towed any trailers with my truck. Any big trailers. I have towed motorcycle trailers, but not anything huge. I will have to really pay attention to what the manual says, and I will probably go to the dealer also, just to make sure. And thanks for the links also Dan. I will check on those today.
Big R

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Another consideration is your class of drivers license. Here in Manitoba the size of the trailer can dictate the size of the trailer you are allowed to pull. Here in Manitoba a regular class 5 license authorizes you to drive cars pickups and 2 axle trucks. You can pull trailers on a class 5 license up to 4540 kg (10.000 lbs) once your trailer exceeds 10,000 you need to up grade your license. As for towing it is very similar to the small trailers except for now you will have trailer brakes, and need more time to stop and accelorate. also you will have to swing wider in corners. I would go to a parking lot ant play around until your comfortable.

Keep us in the loop

frank

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Pam wrote:Another consideration is your class of drivers license. Here in Manitoba the size of the trailer can dictate the size of the trailer you are allowed to pull. Here in Manitoba a regular class 5 license authorizes you to drive cars pickups and 2 axle trucks. You can pull trailers on a class 5 license up to 4540 kg (10.000 lbs) once your trailer exceeds 10,000 you need to up grade your license. As for towing it is very similar to the small trailers except for now you will have trailer brakes, and need more time to stop and accelorate. also you will have to swing wider in corners. I would go to a parking lot ant play around until your comfortable.

Keep us in the loop

frank

WOWZERS. Down here the only thing you are limited by is if you haul comercial. Any thing other can be hauled by a regular operators license.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:37 am

Motorcycles are meant to be ridden not trailered.end of lecture.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

90DAYSURVIVAL
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 GOLDWING

Postby 90DAYSURVIVAL » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:28 pm

I am the GM of an RV dealership. Let me know how I can help!

bigrnm

Postby bigrnm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks for all the replys. I am still just toying with getting a toy hauler. Pun intended. I would like to know what is available for my class of truck 90daysurvival. Where are you located? I am in West Texas. Not too much of RV dealerships here. Basically only one or two. Haven't had a chance to go there yet. But, if I do get one, I do plan to take it out and practice some Frank. That was a good idea.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”