Octane

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Octane

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:50 am

Just adjusted my valves. Had read the article about octane needs. I have always put premium in my 83 Aspy. So, I decided to try the lower octane when I put the Sea Foam in. Put Sea Foam in the oil before I started. Rode about 25 miles, put the bike in the shop overnight to cool. Adjusted the valves the next morning. Took it out, didn't feel good. Lot of chattering, low power. Was afraid I was gonna have to start over. The more I rode, the better it got so, I figured it was just the Sea Foam in the gas cleaning things up. Used about a half a tank, stopped, filled it back up with premium. Within 10 miles it was running smoother than it ever had. Feeling better now about the valve adjustment. Wondering if anyone else has noticed that the premium does better in their bike. Still want to sync the carbs. Trying to get the parts I need to make the vacuum gage.

'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Octane

Postby dingdong » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 am

These bikes were made to run on regular gas. Maybe it would have cleared up even with the regular gas after the 10 miles. I think I would try it again. $$$$$
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Postby mtn_boy1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:19 am

I may try it one more time but the way I figured, it costs me less than $1 difference to fill with premium it the motor likes that better. I could probably adjust the timimg (or have it done) to make the lower octane perform better but, as long as the higher octane doesn't hurt the motor, we'll see.
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:55 pm

I read the Octane article as well. I was advised by the former owner of my 85 Interstate to use only 93 octane as it would run poorly on 87 or 89 octane. I switched after reading the article. The bike seemed to run better with the higher octane, or so my memory tells me. I get a bit of hesitation on the low end, 2000-2700 rpms. Today I added Seafoam to the mix and drove about 75 miles. The 1st 25 were rough - sputtered, loss of power, hesitation - I stayed close to home, since I thought I might end up hiking. After about a 1/2 hour things picked up, the bike started purring as I remember, a smooth ride the rest of the way home. I'm gonna follow the advice and stick with the lower octane for now. I'll run the rest of the tank out tomorrow and fill it with lower octane and see how it goes. Looks like the Seafoam may have worked wonders.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:53 am

I have read a couple of articles about octane and hwo it works in Wings. If you run anything else but the the recommended 83 octane the only thing you are doing is blowing $$ out the exhaust. I never tried it but from what I also understand your fuel millage will also go down using the higher octane. From what I have been able to glean from the articles is the higher octane will just prevent predetonation in high compression engines. The comression ration in your Honda motor is not high enough to require it.

All of the Wingers that I ride with use 83 octane. You can use the Higher octane but it is your money.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”