Towing with a GL-1500

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
B-2
Motorcycle: 1968 Triumph Chopper, 1986 Goldwing SEI

Towing with a GL-1500

Postby B-2 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:03 pm

I am thinking about towing a 1937 Tear Drop Trailer with our GL1500 Trike, I am just not sure if it is to much for the Bike. I checked the tongue weight & it is around 80 lbs with out any thing in the back storage compartment, I think after putting everything for a trip in the back the tongue weight will be much lower. I have pulled it down the road just the way it is & I don't even know its there until I try & stop real fast. So I am sure I will have to put elec brakes on the trailer. We plan on towing it across the country after I go through everything & redo the interior. I was just wondering if any one else has tried to pull a trailer this big with the 1500.
Thanks Bill
Attachments

mtn_boy1
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Re: Towing with a GL-1500

Postby mtn_boy1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:28 am

I've always believed size doesn't matter as much when you're pulling. You can pull a pretty big boat behind a small truck. It's the stopping that can get you hurt. The electric brakes would probably help but, they had better be adjusted right. Too little and the trailer will push the bike, too much and the trailer could slide and pull the bike out from under you. By the time you convert everything over (electric brakes, controller, pivoting tongue, etc) you could probably get a better sized trailer made for pulling behind a bike. Just my opinion.

I just noticed you said TRIKE. That would be alot better. Sorry I didn't notice the first time. Probably enough weight and stability there with electric brakes helping. Good luck with it if you do it. Let us know how it worked out. Disregard the first part, I assumed (yeah, I know) you were on 2 wheels.
'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:55 pm

This is why I looked for what seemed like ever to get what I felt could be pulled with the 1500 safely. I just pickit up Saturday and pulled it almost three hundred miles home without a problem. A trike would definately be a different story with two rear tires stopping it.
Attachments

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:56 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:This is why I looked for what seemed like ever to get what I felt could be pulled with the 1500 safely. I just pickit up Saturday and pulled it almost three hundred miles home without a problem. A trike would definately be a different story with two rear tires stopping it.

This is it opened.
Attachments

B-2
Motorcycle: 1968 Triumph Chopper, 1986 Goldwing SEI

Postby B-2 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 pm

We looked at something like that but I wanted something that we could just stop for the night & climb in & not have to worry about putting it up & taking it down. Well after riding our Trike for around 3K miles I am trying to sell it, because I can't get my legs up on the hwy pegs that well. I have a really bad back thats why we went to a trike but I just can't get my legs were I can do the all day rides we are use to doing. When it sells I am going to build a VW Trike & start with the seat that way I know I can ride it all day. Thanks for all of the info guys I will post more after I sell our Trike. Thanks Bill

vtxcandyred

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:19 pm

B-2 wrote:We looked at something like that but I wanted something that we could just stop for the night & climb in & not have to worry about putting it up & taking it down. Well after riding our Trike for around 3K miles I am trying to sell it, because I can't get my legs up on the hwy pegs that well. I have a really bad back thats why we went to a trike but I just can't get my legs were I can do the all day rides we are use to doing. When it sells I am going to build a VW Trike & start with the seat that way I know I can ride it all day. Thanks for all of the info guys I will post more after I sell our Trike. Thanks Bill

So don't do all day rides. I have a hard time too. I ride until I feel I need to stop and relax, use the facilities or whatever. The camper I have sets up in about two minutes. You don't have to put the add a room on. Just set the legs and open it up, you're ready to climb in. When its time to leave, fold it back the opposite way and retract the legs, you're ready to roll.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”