Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1990 1500GL

Postby Madams » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I wanted to say hey and thanks for keeping this site up and running. I wanted to introduce myself a little and tell you how I got into my GL1500.

So, riding motorcycles have been on my bucket list since I graduated High School way back in 1987 but I never had the time or money to take the safety classes or some other excuse that made since at the time. For my birthday last year my wife signed me up for the class and told me I was going to do this (probably to shut my belly aching up about wanting a motorcycle) so off I went and did the class and got my endorsement. A bit before the class I scored a 1983 Yamaha XJ750 Midnight Maxim and was pretty happy with it. The only problem is I am 6'-2" tall and that bike is made for more like a 5'-10" person. So, I got it in my head that I needed a bigger bike.

About 4 months after I got my endorsement my Uncle got sick and passed away. Before he passed I had a chance to talk with him about motorcycles and we bonded pretty good over it. He had been riding since he bought is first bike back in 1963, a Cooper (I guess it's a British made hill climber) and has loved every year. Well, his current bike was a 1990 Honda Goldwing with a sidecar. We got a chance to check it out and boy was that a gorgeous bike.

After he passed away my dad called me up and asked if I would ride Uncle Wades bike in the funeral procession. Of course I said yes, how can you turn down a request like that? So I headed over the mountains to test drive the bike and get used to it. Well it fit like a glove and I felt so at ease on it I was sad to call it a weekend and go back home.

After the funeral my dad came over to me and said "so, how are you going to get that bike home?" I was floored, you see my dad was willed the bike and since he hadn't rode since the late 70's he didn't have a need for it. He really wanted to keep it in the family so I got to take it home.

I never thought I would have a Goldwing as my first bike but here I am riding around on one with a sidecar. I carry a picture of my uncle taped to the lid of the trunk and keep his Semper Fi Marine baseball cap in there too. He will always be with me while riding his bike, thanks Uncle Wade.

So, sorry I got all long winded but I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Mike Adams

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New Member

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:11 pm

What a fabulous story. Glad to have you among us!

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
That's very touching, that's awesome.
You have a 'Guardian Angel' every time you go for a ride.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 INTERSTATE

Postby n5mdvcolorado » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 pm

My name is Frank from Aurora, Colorado. I am new to the forum also, I just got my first Goldwing, a GL1100 Interstate, I have a GS750L Suzuki 4Cyl. My wifes is a 1982 XJ650 Maxim. I have been Riding Actively since 1973 and Love My Bikes.

Welcome to the Group.
This is my 900.00 GoldWing, just have to fix the Alternator.
This is my 900.00 GoldWing, just have to fix the Alternator.

Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:34 am

Really a great story and I am sure the bike now has a great home and you will take great care of it your Uncle is happy you got it.. :D

Motorcycle: 1990 1500GL

Postby Madams » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcome.

One part of the story I forgot to mention is my uncle was a large man about 6'-4" in his prim and and probably around 300+lbs at his heaviest. When he passed he had a dog that he took everywhere including on his motorcycle trips. The dog was the happiest while ridding in the sidecar with her head hanging off the side in the wind. The ironic thing about his dog is that she is a 5lbs long haired chihuahua named Muffin. He loved that dog to no end and Muffin got to go on every rally or poker run he did. He would even put her in his overalls when he was working on the bikes or his truck. They were inseparable.

After I found out that his bike would be going home with me I got worried about little Muffin and told my dad that where ever she goes I would gladly visit her and take her on rides in the sidecar. He said that wouldn't be a problem since she was going with the bike. Well that took me back a little bit but not for the reasons you may think. You see, about a 2 years before all that I picked up a puppy for my wife, she always wanted a "lap dog" and I found a Blue Heeler puppy and thought she would be a smaller dog at full grown. Well I was soooooo wrong, Henrietta (the Blue Heeler) turned out to be a mix of Heeler and German Shepard so at full grown she is now about 60lbs. So, without even checking with my wife (I know that's a bad thing but I took my chances) I said "sure, well give Muffin a good home" and off we went with her.

I haven't had a chance to take Muffin out on a ride yet (I live in Seattle so the weather doesn't play nice most of the time) but when I do I'll get a picture and update everyone with it.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome!!!!

Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
1989 GL1500

Postby jobe05 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:57 pm

I just got my first GL1200 limited edition the other day. We too have a spoiled rotten long haired chahuahua who must go every where that we go. The other day I was in the garage with her and the bike ( not road ready yet) and she seemed to like the idea of the bike since she wasn't afraid of it at all and usually is scared of everything. I haven't road with her yet, but after hearing your story hopes she likes to ride.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”