newbie intro

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

newbie intro

Postby deerhunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Hello all,
I am new to goldwings, so I am sure I will come up with some newbie questions for you all....
I just acquired a barn special, a 1982 gl1100 aspencade with 34k miles. I traded my harley davidson 1988 sportster 883 hugger for it.
The idiot I got it from had it for a couple months after sitting for some time. He had done some real " hillbilly" stuff to it. I think he meant well but he should not have been left alone with a tool box
For starters he "rewired" some things, which for me is no big deal to fix properly. He also took off the air shocks and replaced with standard coil over shocks . Also ripped out the compressor which was in one of the saddle bags. He also drilled some holes in the other bag and stuck a garden tractor battery.I guess to save a couple bucks.
Since I have had this bike I have fixed the electrical issues and replaced the final drive seals, as it was leaking a little. This was a learning experience for me as all my previous bikes have been chain drive.
The bike runs like a dream. And most of the issues I have found so far have been easy fixes.
I guess my first question is there anything mechanical I should do to make sure she continues to run well? Actually I found this site doing a search on syncing carbs as I plan on doing this along with an oil change and replacing the plugs. Anything else I should plan on doing?

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Re: newbie intro

Postby N2PPN » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Timing belts are an unknown quantity, so I would change them immediately. If one breaks or jumps a tooth, EXPENSIVE to fix (these bikes have interference motors and do not like having their valve timing suddenly changed to allow pistons to hit valves) then brakes, upgrade the older rubber hoses (if they are still on bike as OEM) to stainless braided ones, bleed both front and rear master cylinders and replace brake fluid, cooling system including radiator and thermostat (and possibly replace the O-rings on the water tubes as a preventative measure, if bike runs fine, change the fuel filter and then you can forestall rebuilding the carbs for now and just run some Seafoam thru her for a few tanks..

All rubber parts and pieces need to be checked over for dry rot or just plain old aging, don't forget to look long and hard at the tires...

I am sure I left out more things to check/change/adjust/replace, but have no fear I am sure there will be many others here who will wish you welcome and good luck here on this site... So Welcome and good luck, you're gonna love your wing....

If you need any help or have questions, don't hesitate to ask it here on GW DOCS, we are all here to help each other out...

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Welcome to the site! you'll get a lot of good advice here. I've tried to post this twice but evidently N2PPN beat me to it and cleared my comments before I was done anyway he mentioned a few things I was trying to say, I'd also make sure your tires are roadworthy! Have Fun!

Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 aspencade

Postby deerhunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for the input. Tires are new this year and still have some of the blue protective film on the white letters. Hadn't thought about timing belts but will definitely add that to my list along with brakes. Are the timing belts hard to replace?

Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:01 am

N2PPN hit on all the major starting points. I have just one to add, check "The Three Yellow Wires". There is a connector just infront of your battery with three yellow wires. They come from your stator (charging system) make sure that the connection is clean and tight, or cut out the connector and solder the wires instead.This connection has been the problem for many gl1100s. Do a forum search on "Three yellow wires' and you will see what I mean.

Timming belts are easy to do,but they do take some time. by clicking you will get a PDF that gives you a tutorial on how to change the belts,Its the one I used the first time I did mine and works like a charm.

Any more ????? just ask.
Ride safe,Todd
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Welcome to the board/bored. Sounds like you know your stuff. You can easily handle anything that the wing throws at you. Sorry I have no knowledge of the older Wings and their issues.

Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”