Bike Assistance

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
BIGJIM1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL100A Aspencade

Bike Assistance

Postby BIGJIM1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 am

Hello,

Looking for a reliable person to repair or help with repairs on my 82 1100 Goldwing Aspencade, can not get it to turn over appears cylinders are locked up tight was stored incorrectly and sat for 7 years. I do not have alot of cash but could come up with some or work out a trade for reapirs, I live in MN about an 1hr West from Minneapolis and 45 min south of ST Cloud MN.
Just thought I would ask would be nice to get the bike back on the road again.

Thanks

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Bike Assistance

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:28 am

BIGJIM1 wrote:Hello,

Looking for a reliable person to repair or help with repairs on my 82 1100 Goldwing Aspencade, can not get it to turn over appears cylinders are locked up tight was stored incorrectly and sat for 7 years. I do not have alot of cash but could come up with some or work out a trade for reapirs, I live in MN about an 1hr West from Minneapolis and 45 min south of ST Cloud MN.
Just thought I would ask would be nice to get the bike back on the road again.

Thanks

Simple things first. Have you removed the plugs and tried to turn over.Just make sure you have the STOP switch
on off for NO SPARK just in case. Also you could put in gear, and turn the back wheel reverse and forward.
I'm not much help, but you have to start some place.....good Luck WA9FWT Phil
PS: Looks like I have the same bike and color too!!

BIGJIM1

Postby BIGJIM1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:47 am

Yup tried everything simple already from putting penetrating lube / diesel fuel into the culinders even tried pulling behind a truck (plugs out and slow) and letting the clutch out still no luck just wont turn over starter is good just can get the engine to turn over. Assuming that since it sat so long the cyclinders have frozen up? If there are any ideas out there they would be appreciated I will try anything prior to tearing down the top end my backs not so great anymore.

Thanks

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 pm

How about taking off the timing covers and putting a strongarm and socket on it to get it to move.

BIGJIM1

Postby BIGJIM1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:27 am

I tried that also no luck I did not want to apply to much pressure being it does not appear to be a very heavy duty bolt.
Thanks

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:49 pm

BIGJIM1 wrote:I tried that also no luck I did not want to apply to much pressure being it does not appear to be a very heavy duty bolt.
Thanks

Just a thought before you go nuts as you say, and tear it down. Do a search on the product called " Kroil "
I would apply a liberal amount in each cylinder and let it soak over night.As you a tempt to work the engine loose
make sure you move Cw and CCW. I'm assuming it froze up just from sitting ?
Jood Luck WA9FWT Phil

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:03 pm

WA9FWT wrote:
BIGJIM1 wrote:I tried that also no luck I did not want to apply to much pressure being it does not appear to be a very heavy duty bolt.
Thanks

Just a thought before you go nuts as you say, and tear it down. Do a search on the product called " Kroil "
I would apply a liberal amount in each cylinder and let it soak over night.As you a tempt to work the engine loose
make sure you move Cw and CCW. I'm assuming it froze up just from sitting ?
Jood Luck WA9FWT Phil

I agree with this. We use it here at work and it does penetrate really good.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 pm

dont be in a hurry, just let the penetrating oils do thier thing for awhile .give it a wiggle on the crank bolt or rear wheel in gear every now and then.You could try to flush the cooling system with hot water for awhile to try and get some heat into the engine which might draw the penetrating oil into the rings faster.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

BIGJIM1

Postby BIGJIM1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks for all the info, I just tried using a breaker bar on it and it has become semi loose it will not however do a complete rotation it gets hung up again about 3/4 of the way through? I have been using diesel fuel up until now however I will see if I can locate the Kroil and try this as well and see if i can get the pistons to move all the way through the compression - exahust mode.

Thanks

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:06 pm

BIGJIM1 wrote:Thanks for all the info, I just tried using a breaker bar on it and it has become semi loose it will not however do a complete rotation it gets hung up again about 3/4 of the way through? I have been using diesel fuel up until now however I will see if I can locate the Kroil and try this as well and see if i can get the pistons to move all the way through the compression - exahust mode.

Thanks

Boy thats a good sign and start.At the point where it sticks, make sure you rotate it back and forth if you can.
And yes, add the " Kroil " too ,if any thing it just may be the ticket.I know it's a lot of work but keep at it.
I have done this many a time over the years from engines just sitting or even ran tight from lack of oil.
Especially Briggs & Stratton engines. I'm not kidding when I say I have done this so many times over the years I have lost count. I think it all depends on the Manufacture of the engine if it works or not.I have not tried this on a honda, but sure have on a B&S. Tecumseh engines is a different story, it never worked. And I was a Lab Tech for that engine manufacture.

WA9FWT Phil

BIGJIM1

Postby BIGJIM1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks for the advice and I will keep working on it I will keep the updates on the project going the bike deserves to be back on the road again she has less the 6m miles on her she bearly has lived. Any adivce is appreciated

Thanks again

Return to “Goldwing Chat”