New Helmet

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

New Helmet

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:49 pm

I am in the market for some new helmets for myself and the better half.

Currently our helmets do not a have communication built in to them and this is one thing we would like. Unfortunately the Schuberth helmet i have does not lend itself well to putting anything into it thus the need for an alternate.

Looking for suggestions / recommendations for both. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here.

We are considering the Nolan N 43 Trilogy helmet. This is the minimum protection we will where. The alternative is a full face or flip up.

Thanks

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New Helmet

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:17 pm

My wife and I both have Arai full-face, and they fit J&M headsets perfectly - so well, that you can't tell that there is a headset inside it until you spot the microphone in the chin bar. It's a bit of work installing them, but they work extremely well.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:31 pm

I hope there are no english teachers here. That first post of mine is atrocious.

For me I would like to stay with a modular helmet rather than the full face. Since graduating to this type from a full face I would miss the conveniences.
Wife prefers the full face.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 pm

I am not very happy with my Nolan Trilogy. The headset fits in real nice but that is the only good thing I can say about it. First after wearing the helmet for over an hour in the store to make sure it was still comfortable I purchased it. What I didn't know was going down the road was a different thing, after about an hour or two of riding you start to get a big pain in your forehead where the wind pushes against the helmet. Remedy is custom work on the hard foam in the helmet with spoons or the bottom of a beer bottle. Do you really want to do that to your helmet? Especially one that costs as much as a Nolan? Next the visor that comes down by sliding the button on the side does not work very well, I have resorted to leaving the visor down just enough that I can grab it with a gloved hand and pull it down the rest of the way if needed. Finally the helmet is pretty hard to put on my head with the chin guard in place, putting the chin guard on with the helmet on is difficult because you can't see what you are doing so it stays in the saddle bag all of the time. The face shield scratches real easy.

The good, when I had a twist lock fly off when I lower the face shield on the highway once, I talked with a Nolan rep at Wing Ding and they gave me a new one. If you buy the anti-fog shield that fits the pin-locks it works great.

I still use the helmet, and will use it for another couple of years until it is time to replace it. I wish I had gone with someone else's Modular (flip up as you called it) helmet. The helmet is not that bad but for the price I would expect a little more quality out of it. I know a lot of other people that are happier with their other brand of helmet.

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:41 pm

From what I've read, if you purcahse J&M headsets, they can do the installation for you for a nominal charge, and have it/them shipped back to you usually within 24 hours. Contact their factory for this service and if they can do your helmets that you already have. I installed the J&M headsets in my (our) SHOEI full face helmets, and it took me about an hour and a half per helmet, probably since I've never done this before, and because the instructions were too generic to be of any real use. I literally had to engineer my own installation. I got the helmets done with a little "surgery" on the hard foam liners and the cover material, but they came out nice. When we're riding 2-up, the intercom and music in the helmets is a pleasure.
Steve F
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 pm

I did contact EdSets about putting a headset in my Schuberth helmet. He advised me that this helmet is particularly difficult to put a head set into. Unfortunately I bought this $700 helmet before I had a Goldwing not anticipating such a need.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks "lhelber" for your review of the Trilogy. WebBIkeWorld rates it very highly but I don't recall if that included real world on the bike testing.
From what you describe it doesn't sound like something I want to buy. I do like a lot of the features it has though. There are too many choices out there. May just stick to hand signals.

wally
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:35 am

My wife and I have the HJC Modular helmets with the Chatterbox Bluetooth headsets the headsets are nice to have and the modular style with built in flip down sun shield (stored within the helmet liner) and the flip up shield for increased ventilation is great, but the drawback is the wind noise, I'm not sure if all modulars have the wind noise problem or not but they are easier to put on and the ease of flipping up the entire chin bar is a nice feature and its latch mechanism works great. So I guess they just have to improve the wind noise problem with better seals at all the joints a modular has.

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 am

I highly recommend putting a headset into a helmet. The music and a CB is a must have if you are going to do any touring. Most of the helmets that I have looked at in the past couple of years have a space for the headset. Nothing unique to the Nolan helmet. They have a system they designed but I put a high quality J&M headset into it instead of their NCOM system. Glad I did since when I do change helmets my headset will go with me.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:29 am

wally wrote:My wife and I have the HJC Modular helmets with the Chatterbox Bluetooth headsets the headsets are nice to have and the modular style with built in flip down sun shield (stored within the helmet liner) and the flip up shield for increased ventilation is great, but the drawback is the wind noise, I'm not sure if all modulars have the wind noise problem or not but they are easier to put on and the ease of flipping up the entire chin bar is a nice feature and its latch mechanism works great. So I guess they just have to improve the wind noise problem with better seals at all the joints a modular has.

My Schuberth is a modular helmet and I don't find it noisy at all. It's the old you get what you pay for I suppose. The Schuberth cost me a lot but at the time modular helmets were relatively new and it was the only helmet with the built-in retractable sun shield. I really like the helmet but putting headsets into it doesn't appear to be an option. I will wear it on my Dual Sport bike and try to find something else for the Goldwing.

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Update.

Still looking and have no narrowed it down to the Nolan N90. Now to find a place to purchase from that will ship to Canada.

Anybody in the helmet business??

cbx4evr
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 pm

To end my story.

Bought Nolan N90 helmets complete with the Nolan MCS 2 Goldwing system from Powersport Superstore, excellent service and pretty decent pricing. Only took five days to get here from Texas which really surprised me.

Installed the headsets today. Nicely thought out system. Took about 1 1/2 hours and they were both done. Then out to the garage with the Mrs. and pretend we are out riding. Work excellent. Will really like these on the group rides. Now if only the snow would disappear.

Bogator
Motorcycle: 1998 valkyrie

Postby Bogator » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:50 am

Glad you got it figured out, Helmets are a tough choice sometimes, I go with the cheapest I can find cuz they only last about 2 or 3 years, I can't see paying 700 bucks for a lid, no matter what it has on it. just my 2 cents, hope I did not make anybody mad, RIDE SAFE

GOD BLESS

Return to “Goldwing Chat”