Spammers

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Spammers

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks to everyone who has been so great in spotting and reporting the spammers who get on here from time to time. Their newest tactic is to hire people who register normally, put a link to their crappy spam site in their signature, then post inane and stupid messages that purport to contribute to the conversation. Because this site ranks fairly high on Google, this gets links to their site in Google.

I can't catch them all quickly, but you guys have been doing a terrific job. Once I am made aware of them, I kill their account (and messages), and ban them from registering more accounts.

So thanks, guys!

If you DO see one of these questionable "spam" posts, just click the little exclamation mark in the triangle to report it.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Spammers

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:01 am

Will be happy to help eliminate these bloody spammers.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Coder
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 Interstate
91 ST1100

Postby Coder » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:30 am

Just a thought on this one. I have admin'd on other forums using PHPBB in the past and I typically set it up so that new users couldn't create a signature until a specific post count was reached. Just did a quick search on this and found a post by Kevin Clark on the PHPBB site that explains how to do this.

Setting it for post approval means that a moderator will have to approve the post before it appears on the boards, although this may be a little labor intensive, but the lack of a signature, and even turning off the ability to upload images or add URLs to the post would severely cramp the spammers style :ugeek:

Hope that helps!

Davey
Keep it rubber side down and shiny side up and all will be well with the world!

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:49 am

I have no problem reporting these people all they'll do is ruin a forum.
I belong to a GW forum where the spammers are out of control and no one puts an end to it, don't want to see that happen here.
I hardly post over there because of it.
It's up to us to report spam and strive to have the nicest Goldwing Forum on the net.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:43 am

Coder wrote:Just a thought on this one. I have admin'd on other forums using PHPBB in the past and I typically set it up so that new users couldn't create a signature until a specific post count was reached. Just did a quick search on this and found a post by Kevin Clark on the PHPBB site that explains how to do this.

Setting it for post approval means that a moderator will have to approve the post before it appears on the boards, although this may be a little labor intensive, but the lack of a signature, and even turning off the ability to upload images or add URLs to the post would severely cramp the spammers style :ugeek:

Hope that helps!

Davey

I had really not wanted to institute any kind of restrictions for new users, because I know it just annoys me when I join a forum, and makes me not want to return...but the incidence of this "signature spam" is increasing so much that I've decided to do exactly as you mentioned, restricted the addition of signatures until users have posted ten messages. Hopefully that will kill it.

Coder
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 Interstate
91 ST1100

Postby Coder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:17 am

Woot! Got my post count over 10 just in time :)))) That would have been awkward, my signature being removed due to my own suggestion (^-^)
Keep it rubber side down and shiny side up and all will be well with the world!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:15 am

Coder wrote:Woot! Got my post count over 10 just in time :)))) That would have been awkward, my signature being removed due to my own suggestion (^-^)

It's only applied to new users from this point forward, so no worries. :)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”