New to this system

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
ew heffer
Motorcycle: 1983 gl 1100 aspencade

New to this system

Postby ew heffer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:19 pm

I joined a while ago but never did anything about it. I have a 1983 GL 1100 in show room shape
with 57000K. I am undecided what to do with it as i only ride it couple of times a month. I will
be 70 in another year and it is a heavy bike. Would like to know what is worth as i will likely sell it next spring. By the way thisnis a GL1100 ASPENCADE fully loaded.

Coder
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 Interstate
91 ST1100

Re: New to this system

Postby Coder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:54 am

The first thing to ask yourself is, are you done riding it? If you are looking for something smaller/lighter, it probably isn't going to give you the comfort and pleasure that you are used to, but if you have decided that your riding years are over (is there a limit on those?) then you have few alternatives.

A dealer won't take the bike due to its age - they only want 10 years old or less on the floor, and they will low-ball you to nothing as a trade on it. Most of the "pricing" sites out there, such as kbb.com (blue book), will mark it down badly for age and mileage since they are geared to price according to values of cages (passenger cars) which deflate in value from the moment they roll off the lot until they are finally scrapped. As an example, a car search for used prices is limited to vehicle built since 1991, anything older is either a collectors item, an historic vehicle, a vintage vehicle, or it should be scrapped. Based on this, your 83 Wing can't be priced by normal methods!

I would suggest checking craigslist.org and similar sites to see what similar bikes are selling for in your area, but take your time. It's summer, and with the heat and humidity in many parts of the country, it isn't riding weather, so people aren't looking for bikes (I'm in Arizona). Waiting for the fall season could add an extra $1,000 to the value of the bike since it becomes a sellers market then.

Hope that is helpful to you (shoots self in foot!)

Davey
Keep it rubber side down and shiny side up and all will be well with the world!

ew heffer
Motorcycle: 1983 gl 1100 aspencade

Postby ew heffer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks nfor the info DAVEY. Im not through riding yet. Even thought of making a three wheeler out of it later, but thats expensive and down the road a wase. Im from
EDMONTON ALBERTA and the riding time here is short especially this summer. I was reading up on the timing belt on these bikes. Dont know if or when this one was changed so looks **** a winter job. Thanks again. WAYNE.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:45 pm

ew heffer wrote:I joined a while ago but never did anything about it. I have a 1983 GL 1100 in show room shape
with 57000K. I am undecided what to do with it as i only ride it couple of times a month. I will
be 70 in another year and it is a heavy bike. Would like to know what is worth as i will likely sell it next spring. By the way thisnis a GL1100 ASPENCADE fully loaded.

My suggestion...Keep the bike, sell the house, move a couple thousand miles south and ride all year.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”