Not what I thought....ARRRRRRGH!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Not what I thought....ARRRRRRGH!

Postby Steve F » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:43 pm

I saw an ad in CRAIGSLIST about a week ago for a GARMIN 760 for sale, $150 OBO in the area from a local guy. Fired off an email, interested in buying if available. 2 days later, still available, and I offered $110, OK with him, meet at the local mall. Kinda weird where he wanted to meet, but OK. Meet at the mall, looks like a good unit, tried to power it up and it lasted about 5 seconds and the battery went dead. The kid said his parents bought it for him to take on a road trip, and hasn't used it for years, that's why the battery went dead. Take it out to his friends car, plug it in, and everything looks fine. Make out a receipt, and leave. Get the thing home and it's working fine. Go online to GARMIN's website and order the map update for $90 and download it. The dumb program and maps WON'T INSTALL!!!! ARRRRRGH! So, the next day I email Garmin tech support, give them the details about the unit, and the problem. I also said also that I would like it registered in MY name. The other day I get another email from GARMIN telling me that they will contact the original registered owner and confirm the sale before they will register it to me. OK, I'll wait. A day later, I get another email from GARMIN saying that they will not help me since the unit was reported STOLEN!!! WTF! I really hate being duped and screwed. I'm not like that, and when I get taken advantage of I get pissed! The kid wasn't too smart, he left all kinds of info on the GPS, including the "HOME" location, and friends addresses and stuff. I also have the license plate of his "buddies" car and his cell phone number too. Hopefully the Police can use this to get my money back.
Have any of you folks been in a similar situation and got any satisfaction?
Rant over.....
Steve F

"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Not what I thought....ARRRRRRGH!

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:14 pm

I had my car broken into once and the stereo was stolen. Dumb thief dropped his wallet and I found it under the seat. Turned it into police and they said they knew the guy so I had hopes for restitution. Never heard a thing thereafter.

My Dad had his wallet stolen when he was trying on a pair of pants and left it in the change room. Couple weeks later a kid got busted using his credit card. Lawyer pleaded about him being a good kid and a criminal record would hurt his career so the judge let him off. Like who give a rats - he's a thief!!!

Crime pays and us law abiding citizens are funding it.

Good luck getting your money back but I don't like your chances.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cpwomer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby cpwomer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 am

Think about it if its to good to be true than it probably ain't...Most of what is sold on craigsls that is unbelievably cheap compared to new or even a used price then you can assume that it's HOT. Not just GPS but scuba gear, radios, cameras, laptops or just about anything thing that could be easily stolen from a car truck or house. Hot Stuff is easy money and pawn shops are required to report everything to the local sheriff and believe me the city can't afford to scan Craigsls or ebay or every other place things can be sold quick online. You get what you pay for Hot or Not!!! And most criminals lie, RIGHT!!!
1988 GL1500 U.S Army, Ret. Owner/Operator,Ride Captain Patriot Guard Rider of GA, Director American Legion Riders Post 149 Jasper, GA

Coder
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100 Interstate
91 ST1100

Postby Coder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:30 am

Sorry to hear about this, and the following isn't going to help you much I'm afraid!

From experience with this type of situation, your public duty is to return the unit to the original owner or, if the insurance has already paid out, to the insurer of the unit. If returned to the insurer (who doesn't really want it), they may then assign the rights to the unit to you (possibly for a fee) and remove the "stolen" listing. On the other hand, they may not.

As far as the money you payed to the kid in the mall for the unit, that would become a civil action to recover the money from him - the police would only become involved in a criminal case (ie: receiving stolen goods) and so wouldn't be much help with this.

Given the information you already have (home, etc.), possibly you could arrange a group ride to arrive at said "home" and make an offer that couldn't be refused? Not advocating this, but it is a suggestion if you follow my meaning ....

Davey
Keep it rubber side down and shiny side up and all will be well with the world!

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:36 pm

You say you have all the info about the kid and where he lives go pay him a visit with a bunch of friends and get your money back . or just drive pass his house all the time and mail a letter saying you want you money back . I bet the local LEOs wont do a thing about it . Now i know your thinking i cant do any of that well into days world you have to do what you have to do to get your hard earned cash back . And as for meeting in the mall parking lot i do that and so do most of my friends as if they come to your house to buy they might be checking out what you have and a few nights later your tools and bikes and other stuff gets stolen . Its happened to two friends of mine . thats my take on the situation

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 pm

I feel for you friend. Been there myself. I would suggest though that before you load up the posse, confirm that all that information in there is indeed the perp, and not the original owner. At any rate I wish you luck getting it straightened out.
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:31 pm

All this happened on AUG 1, and I've been too busy with helping family move furniture and working longs hours that today is the first time I had an opportunity to talk with the cops. I filed a fraud report in the city where the mall is in, and talking with the detective, he said that GARMIN contacted the original owner, and he had them get in contact with the city police. The detective had subpoena'd my email address and was going to pay ME a visit, but that's cool now since I turned all the stuff in to them. Turns out the license plate number I gave them was for a car in their town, and the "home" address was also in their town, and the detective wouldn't say if it was for the original owner or not. They definately have some info to go on, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they bust this kid, and I get my money back. I also emailed GARMIN back with the info I had and told them that the unit was in the possession of the cops and that I would like them to refund my $90 that I paid for the maps upgrade for a GPS that I no longer have. I'm not going to hold my breath....I'll be dead!
Oh, BTW, I like the idea of gathering a posse ;)

86GW1200
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Postby 86GW1200 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:03 pm

Don't go too far with the possey idea, but I and a couple of others were able to get a refund to an out of state guy. He lived in the mid-west and the deadbeat lived near my town. AFTER we were made aware of the details we would make stops by the house, I mean several times a week. I loved to knock very loudly when nobody was home or at least they acted like nobody was home. We got yelled at and threatened with the po-po being called. But, they never called....hmmm...maybe they had other reasons to not call? I guess the deadbeat got tired of our "visits" and refunded the guy his money. Again, be sure of the details, I woulld not want to be involved with bothering the wrong person. :D

mr magoo
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1200

Postby mr magoo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:25 am

The home address was more likely the original owner. you can get great deals on a gps at most stores these days. good luck!

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Post if address we all can sent him a get well card if you know what I mean....

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Re: Not what I thought....ARRRRRRGH! an update

Postby Steve F » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Just had a chat this afternoon with the detective that is handling the case of the stolen property (a GPS that I bought off CRAIGSLIST). As you recall, the GPS was sold through craigslist by a kid that said he got it from his parents, and he now didn't want it any more (which turns out was a BS story anyway surprise, surprise). I paid $110.00 for it, went online to the GARMIN site, and ordered the maps upgrade, and they informed me the GPS was reported stolen, and then GARMIN had reported my contact info to the POLICE! I beat them to the punch, and turned the stolen property into the police before they contacted me. Anyway, the police had taken the suspect kid into custody, and after a few moments of interrogation, he admitted selling the bogus GPS to me, and that he will return my money.
So, to recap, I'm getting my money back from the bogus sale, plus a few weeks ago, GARMIN gave me a full refund for the maps upgrade.
You see, things CAN work out sometimes.
I don't know if the kid is getting any probation or if they worked something else out, but the detective wouldn't say any more.

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:40 am

WOW what a surpize..They caught him...

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:53 am

Does this mean that there really is a Santa Clause ??????? :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 am

Sally wrote:WOW what a surpize..They caught him...

The surprise is that they actually tried to catch him. Good things do happen.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:51 am

dingdong wrote:
Sally wrote:WOW what a surpize..They caught him...

The surprise is that they actually tried to catch him. Good things do happen.

I think you exaggerate a bit, Steve did all the leg work, found the name, the address and handed it all on a plate to the police. They took the trouble of driving to the house and arresting the kid, I don't think they tried to do anything else, Steve did it all and I am sure that if he hadn't the police would NOT have done anything.. At least the police found the time to go to a house and arrest someone after being given all the information.. It's a good result for Steve, but still does nothing to build my confidence in the way the police force operates.

Gary

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 pm

I think that everyone should be aware of the little things when dealing with people/strangers. I'm not the best when it comes to recognizing people (actually, I suck at that), and I need to pay more attention. I was able to make little notes of the important things, like the plate number of the kid that was driving, the kids cell phone number (not to delete it), and kept the voice mail that he left on my cell phone. These are all things that the cops need when they start to deal with the perp. I would suggest that you have a friend or family member go along as an extra set of eyes and ears to gather more info for the cops. I've learned a lesson, even at my age, that there's someone always out to screw you if you let them.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:20 pm

I use a map still, told ya, I was a caveman .

Return to “Goldwing Chat”