A nice ride.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
CapnDenny1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

A nice ride.

Postby CapnDenny1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Yesterday I took my wonderful wife along on the Goldwing. She complained about not havin genough room between the backrest and me. So I repositioned the trunk mounting brackets to move the trunk back about 2 inches. I just drilled new holes and put in new pop rivets. It worked great. That way I can remove the trunk and ride without it if she isn't along. It only gave her another 2 inches, but it really did help.

It's been really warm here lately so we have had some great cycling weather. We rode to a small airport and had a soda and watched the airplanes come and go. Only thing I like more than riding is flying, but finances don't allow it at the moment, but I can still watch and dream. Then we rode to Alton, IL over the suspension bridge which was really cool. From there we rode up the Great River Road along the Mississippi River. That is a gorgeous ride, probably one of the nicest in the area. On the left side is the river, and the highway is right next to the river. On the right side are bluffs which rise up around 100 feet of so. It stays like that for about 30 miles, till you get to the small river town of Grafton, IL. On the way up we passed about 200 motorcycles, and eventually you arm gets tired from waving, but I do anyway. I noticed a bike coming the other way, and from the dual headlights I could see it was an 1800 Goldwing, in that cool dark blue color. As they got close the lady on the back started to wave, and then she must have noticed my bike and got the riders attention really quick and pointed at us, Then they both waived. It was pretty cool. Also on the way up there a guy on a new Harley with no mufflers pulled up next to us and kind of sat there. It was really loud and hurting my ears, and I was wondering what the heck his problem was. Later Norma said he was eyeing up the bike. I guess he was trying to figure out what it was. Or maybe he was thinkin, man my rear and my ears hurt. Maybe that's what I need right there?

We stopped in Grafton and Norma did a little antique shopping. Yeah, that's great honey. Then I realized I had left my regular non-sunglasses at home and we only had about an hour of daylight. It was getting cooler and Norma only had a light jacket so we headed for home back down the river road and across the bridge. I took interstate all the way home about 55 miles. I was really impressed by the way the Goldwing handles itself on the interstate. It seems to just love 70 mph at 4,000 rpm. It is amazimngly stable.

We still don't have our endurance built up yet, so the hour ride home was about all I could manage. But for as little riding as I've been able to do it was a long ride. It was just starting to get dark when we got home and I realized the instrument lights don't work. They all don't work so it's probably a wiring thing, not just a bad bulb unless they are all bad.

It was a great day yesterday on the Goldwing.

Take care,

Dennis

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: A nice ride.

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:30 pm

Sounds like an absolutely perfect trip (apart from the antique shopping), you couldn't ask for more! Now if I can just get my wife to agree to go watch airplanes...

CapnDenny1

Postby CapnDenny1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Yes, I am really lucky. She loves to play golf, and she goes with me every July to Oshkosh, WI for the EAA Airventure where I spend a week looking at airplanes, and she loves to ride motorcycles, as long as they're Goldwings.

I checked the gauge lights tonight and they work just fine. Perhaps it was because I still had my sunglasses on yesterday evening. Duh!

Cool beans.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:49 pm

I haven't been to OSH since 1998, when I went with my dad: Oshkosk 1998

We keep saying we're going to go back....it just never seems to happen. This year he sold his plane, so...

CapnDenny1

Postby CapnDenny1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Well, you can always fly the GW up there. The motorcycle parking is right up next to the gates.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:19 am

An excellent idea. I'm only about 500 miles away, definitely within a day's ride. I could bring a tent and camp out there. I should plan on it for next year.

CapnDenny1

Postby CapnDenny1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:03 am

Be sure to let me know. Maybe we can meet up?

Return to “Goldwing Chat”