always check the little stuff first

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade Sei

always check the little stuff first

Postby comfortlynumb » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:50 pm

HI all, I am new to this site and am probably posting this in the wrong spot forgive me ;) my name is Charlie and last summer I purchased a 1986 goldwing gl1200 SEI Aspencade , ya see I was gonna go to sturgis so I wanted at least a 1200 or bigger so I could take my wife with me. She said there is no way she was gonna ride 1200 miles to South Dakota on a Harley, SO I went with a Winger, and let me tell you it was love at first test ride, I had to have it, now just to get this smile off my face so I can go back and try to low ball this guy a little :lol: well I did talk him down 400.00 bucks. anyway to get to the topic the bike ran great to about Montana then the volts started going down, thought it needed a battery so bought one, it seemed to be charging so of I went to Sturgis well before i was out of montana the battery was dead and my wife was push starting the 800lb beast, well after push starting me about a half dozen times we pulled into the Broken Spoke camp grounds, and she would not take a charge or start again. Well being out in the boonys with no tools or anything else and everyone telling me it is my stator, I called my daughter and she came and picked us up in a full size chevy and I paid all her gas (ouch!)-------When I got home I bought a Stator and a regulator, but after doing some very simple test with a multimeter i found out it was just the regulator, my Stator was fine boy was i happy I didn't have to pull the motor. well went to start it and it would not start, I scratched my head and started to second guess my work,so I checked to see if it had spark, and it didn't great I thought, I must have done something wrong and I was going to pull the false tank and check the coils but I thought this would be to much of a coincidence the coils and the regulator going out, So I checked the 30amp fuse the little dogbone fuse and it looked good but when I barely touched it it exploded, I replaced it with a inline fuse and when I went to hit the start button even with one plug out she fired right-up!!! So my fellow goldwing owners I say to you always check the little **** first :D

Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: always check the little stuff first

Postby detdrbuzzard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 am

hello comfortlynumb, welcome to GWD. check all the fuses for age
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 am

Good advice. Welcome aboard. What is your location?

What are your impressions of Sturgis. Personally I have no desire to be there during Bike Week. Did go the week before last year and bought a t-shirt.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:46 am

Hi comfortlynumb,
Welcome to the forum...glad you got very lucky...Last year on one of my trips to Utah, when returning, I lost the stator and the coupler for the 3 wires fried on my 84 Aspy. I was lucky I had a charger and one of those battery jumper packs with me. I sat on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere about 60miles from LasVegas wiring around the connectors for the 3 wires from the stator. I got that done, took my battery jumper pack, hooked it up and got it started. Made it to Vegas, and was able to charge my battery at a McDonalds. I could go 100 miles on a charge. So every 100 miles, I would stop at McDonalds or whatever that had a 110v outlet available, take a break and charge my battery. Took me 4 days but I got her back home to San Antonio. Just finished the poorboy conversion last week. She is back on the road.

Since my 89 1500 trike was totaled last month, I bought a nice 98 1500A, so will be selling the 84. She is still a great bike with only 28k miles. Wife says I don't need 3 bikes. I got away with it before because one was the trike SHE liked..

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Yah, Check the small stuff! I couldn't get mine to start, almost ran the battery all the way down and then noticed my grand daughter had turned the kill switch!! Boy thats the first thing I check now! LOL!!
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Welcome from Michigan, comfortlynumb! You had quite an espacade on your Aspencade. I agree wholeheartedly on the small stuff, one time I stopped for gas and while putting something in my left fairing pocket accidently bumped my fog lights switch to on (which puts quite a drain on the charging system) well while riding home the system was showing discharge, so once I was home I proceeded to start checking wires, fuses, battery hoping it wasn't the stator,when I walked around the front of the bike to discover the fog lights on, problem solved! Just bumped a little switch.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”