Maiden Voyage

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
shadew
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Maiden Voyage

Postby shadew » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:15 pm

My new to me '83 Goldwing Interstate went on it's maiden voyage today. I bought it on the side of the road in the Oklahoma panhandle for a song and a short "Last Boy Scout" dance. It has been setting for several years, so I have been pouring over this forum for many of the tips and tricks to get it trip ready. Today was a beautiful trip, Kansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico, just under 200 miles. Look up Kenton Oklahoma on your map, and then put it on your bucket list, you will not be dissapointed in the scenery. I guess I am going to have to get busy working on cosmetics, as the champagne bottle did it no good.
One issue I am having trouble working out, is the temperature gauge is not moving up off of dead cold. The fuel gauge works correctly so it is not the 7V regulator. I would appreciate any imput on the subject if someone has already dealt with this headache. Just a note: I wired the electric fan to a toggle switch because it wouldn't cycle, I assumed they might be connected.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Re: Maiden Voyage

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:56 pm

shadew wrote:My new to me '83 Goldwing Interstate went on it's maiden voyage today. I bought it on the side of the road in the Oklahoma panhandle for a song and a short "Last Boy Scout" dance. It has been setting for several years, so I have been pouring over this forum for many of the tips and tricks to get it trip ready. Today was a beautiful trip, Kansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico, just under 200 miles. Look up Kenton Oklahoma on your map, and then put it on your bucket list, you will not be dissapointed in the scenery. I guess I am going to have to get busy working on cosmetics, as the champagne bottle did it no good.
One issue I am having trouble working out, is the temperature gauge is not moving up off of dead cold. The fuel gauge works correctly so it is not the 7V regulator. I would appreciate any imput on the subject if someone has already dealt with this headache. Just a note: I wired the electric fan to a toggle switch because it wouldn't cycle, I assumed they might be connected.

I had that problem once and the 7volt Reg took care of it when replaced. By the way our Administrator of this site sells them.
Good luck with finding the problem.
I have one of my daughters living in Ok , and she just says it's hot down there.
I bet it was nice to get out on your new toy, hope you have many more good rides.

WA9FWT Phil

shadew

Postby shadew » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:20 pm

On the administrators ad, it states if one of the gauges is working normally, the problem is somewhere else.

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:21 am

shadew wrote:On the administrators ad, it states if one of the gauges is working normally, the problem is somewhere else.

Well if thats the case, I sure hope you find it. Let us know when you get it corrected.

WA9FWT Phil

shadew

Postby shadew » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Would anyone know the ohm readings on the sending unit?

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:39 pm

shadew wrote:Would anyone know the ohm readings on the sending unit?

Do a search upper right hand corner, the blank box.Type in 7volt reg through out the honda range.
You will find a pictorial of a set up with all ohm readings at different temps.

Hope this helps you some.

shadew

Postby shadew » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Well, it's been a busy week since the maiden voyage. I was so excited when I returned, that I pulled the whole thing apart and repainted it. The original brown paintjob had seen better days. I started the project after work on Monday evening, and was completely finished Thursday evening after work. The new seat cover came in Friday, but I thought I would put it on after a weekend of riding. I put in 250 miles today looking through the new slipstreamer windshield. Here is a picture from the ride today.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”