I'm back...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

I'm back...

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:13 am

Wow. As a few of you may have noticed, I've been pretty absent for the last three weeks. I've been (more or less) on vacation, so I haven't been keeping up with the messages here like I usually do. I've now got hundreds and hundreds to read, along with many hundreds of emails to go through. If you've emailed/PM'd me or are otherwise waiting for a response, I'll get to you shortly! Thanks for your patience...

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: I'm back...

Postby thrasherg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:12 am

Welcome back, and I hope you had a great vacation.. :D

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:46 pm

thrasherg wrote:Welcome back, and I hope you had a great vacation.. :D

Gary

I did, until the last couple of days. I missed a connecting flight in England, and had to buy a $2400 ticket to be able to get back to Toronto last night - which was delayed. I ended up getting back at 1 am last night, and then drove 6 hours home to Cleveland, just in time to start work this morning. I've had a total of six hours sleep over the past two days, so I don't know why I'm still upright, really. :)

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Welcome home get some rest and will see you when your over the jet lag. I was wondering where you were hadnt seen any posts from you hope you had a good time. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:19 am

Welcome back. Thought maybe you snuck off to the land of hula dancers for a little wing ride through paradise. We are here keeping our fingers crossed about a hurricane heading our way.. Get some rest :)
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Question?///If there was a higway to England would any of you guys ride over there? I hate flying...I have a long story to tell about that later...You will understand why I hate flying..And I'm a pretty easy going dude too....Airlines upset me though...Oh yeh, welcome back Wingadmin.. Where's the photo's...???

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:49 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Question?///If there was a higway to England would any of you guys ride over there? I hate flying...I have a long story to tell about that later...You will understand why I hate flying..And I'm a pretty easy going dude too....Airlines upset me though...Oh yeh, welcome back Wingadmin.. Where's the photo's...???

I've got 400+ photos to sort through, and no time to do it, so it will be a while for those. I have put together the "best of the best" videos from my vacation though, if anyone cares to browse through. :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL83EE2CEBA243FFCA

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 am

That was an expensive return trip!! I am surprised your original flight company would not book you on a later flight for just a re-booking fee!!

Still welcome back..

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:29 am

thrasherg wrote:That was an expensive return trip!! I am surprised your original flight company would not book you on a later flight for just a re-booking fee!!

Still welcome back..

Gary

The only thing they would do was sell me another ticket for a flight two days later. I ended up flying British Airways to London, and Air Canada back to Toronto. I argued with them extensively about this.

The president of the airline will be getting a very unhappy letter from me shortly.

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:37 am

You should name and shame the company that did this to you, so the rest of us can avoid them.. That sounds like very poor customer support.

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:11 pm

thrasherg wrote:You should name and shame the company that did this to you, so the rest of us can avoid them.. That sounds like very poor customer support.

Gary

Air Transat. Cheapest flight I could find ended up being the most expensive....

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:48 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Question?///If there was a higway to England would any of you guys ride over there? I hate flying...I have a long story to tell about that later...You will understand why I hate flying..And I'm a pretty easy going dude too....Airlines upset me though...Oh yeh, welcome back Wingadmin.. Where's the photo's...???

Well I can see by this, the Beaver did not get that cycle boat built yet :D " Wingman " you could have borrowed it if he had.I think we all knew you were off to some nice place, and welcome back.
WA9FWT Phil

78AzWing
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 UnDressed and Progressively Weber Carbureted

Postby 78AzWing » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:50 am

I had similar experiences last year when I had to go to Switzerland for a family emergency.
My flight into O'Hare in Chicago got grounded 35 miles west of Chicago for two hours. Naturally the flight from Chicago to Madrid had already left. Ibenea Air (probably spelled wrong). Got re-booked on British Airways to London, then Zurich. Naturally my luggage did not come with me. That showed up at Midnight two days later.

On the way back, there were two of us. What I found was it was cheaper by close to 2/3 to by two round trip tickets from Zurich to Phoenix, and let the return portion expire, than to buy two one way tickets. Didn't matter what airline you chose, they were all that way.

Turns out missing the flight to Madrid was a lucky thing. Seems that for the last two years the air traffic controllers would go out on strike every three weeks just like clock work. I would have been stuck in Madrid both ways with the timing of my itinerary at that time. I followed air traffic news very closely while I was over there.

Not a happy experience all the way around.
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons
For thee are Krunchie and taste goode with Ketchup!

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:16 pm

I have found that because all the government interference with flying, and the Airlines finding ways to charge you for everything under the sun, add outrageous fuel charges, and fight every reschedule and cancellation. I simply doo not fly anymore.

I'm old, I'm retired and I'm usually not in a hurry to get anywere. Anywhere I want to go I can drive except for maybe one more trip to the Philippines which I loved living there and did for 15 years. But may not even ever make that trip again. I try to time any visits I make to friends and relatives during periods I can go on the Bike. That way the trip becomes part of the vacation no need to rush from point A to point B like I did for most of my life. Now I take my sweet time and enjoy the country and views along the way.

Sorry you had such a bad experience and got ripped for the return ticket...just another Airline GotCha....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 am

Well I had it (almost) happen again last week. I was in San Francisco for a conference all week. Friday, when I got to the airport to fly home (after an extremely dangerous cab ride I will never forget and am very lucky to have lived through), I got selected for a "random security check." I got taken, along with my bag, to a separate room on the lower floor. Of course, this only happened because I was running a bit late for my flight (see above regarding dangerous cab ride). So what happens next? Despite the fact that I told them I'm running late, they decide that it's a good time to "train the new guy" on my bag. After waiting for 5 minutes for the "new guy" to show up, they then proceed to take my bag apart, remove every single item, and show the "new guy" how to check every little thing in my bag, through their explosive detection machine, one by one...they swabbed and checked my TOOTHBRUSH, no kidding! I kept telling them I was late, asking if I could leave...they kept saying I had to stay until they had completed their security check. Twenty minutes later they finally finished and I RAN back up to security, where there was a huge line. I went up to the front of the line and begged mercy of someone standing there, who agreed and let me in. I got through security in another 10 minutes or so, then humping a laptop case and a backpack I ran the entire length of the terminal (of course - security was at gate 1, and there were 90 gates in the terminal - and my flight was at gate 90). I got to my gate just as they were finishing boarding.

I really am not a fan of air travel these days!

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:37 am

I have to ask what alternative do you have? In Europe we travel a lot by train (load your car/motorcycle onto a train and as the advert says "Let the train take the strain") but I just tried doing that and was told there are no trains from Austin that can take a motorcycle or car!! To go to Europe, a plane is the only practical way to travel (In my book).. I cannot believe that a country as big as the USA, the only choice seems to be to drive!! Driving can be fun, but it can take a long time to get to some places!! We will ride dirt roads from Tenessee to the pacific coast in Oregon next year and I need to get back to Austin.. Riding a vibrating single cylinder Dual sport bike from Oregon to Austin is not my idea of fun (The dirt part is!!), so it looks like we will hire a truck one way, load the bikes in and drive.. I still can't believe that is the only option.. Transportation in the US is truely poor!! I never thought it would be behind Europe..

Gary

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:56 pm

thrasherg wrote:I have to ask what alternative do you have? In Europe we travel a lot by train (load your car/motorcycle onto a train and as the advert says "Let the train take the strain") but I just tried doing that and was told there are no trains from Austin that can take a motorcycle or car!! To go to Europe, a plane is the only practical way to travel (In my book).. I cannot believe that a country as big as the USA, the only choice seems to be to drive!! Driving can be fun, but it can take a long time to get to some places!! We will ride dirt roads from Tenessee to the pacific coast in Oregon next year and I need to get back to Austin.. Riding a vibrating single cylinder Dual sport bike from Oregon to Austin is not my idea of fun (The dirt part is!!), so it looks like we will hire a truck one way, load the bikes in and drive.. I still can't believe that is the only option.. Transportation in the US is truely poor!! I never thought it would be behind Europe..

Gary

The transportation is the way it is because of our own doing.. We really love our cars and prefer to travel that way. Even the passenger trains that are running (amtrack) are supported mainly be government subsidy because not enough people will ride a train to make it profitable. I am actually surprised that we even have trains other than cargo running. Of course the other thing is to fly if you are in a hurry. As I had said eariler, I quit flying anymore because of the hassle. I'm not in that big a hurry, I'll drive.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:41 pm

twostrokes48 wrote:The transportation is the way it is because of our own doing.. We really love our cars and prefer to travel that way. Even the passenger trains that are running (amtrack) are supported mainly be government subsidy because not enough people will ride a train to make it profitable. I am actually surprised that we even have trains other than cargo running. Of course the other thing is to fly if you are in a hurry. As I had said eariler, I quit flying anymore because of the hassle. I'm not in that big a hurry, I'll drive.

On the contrary, a lot I think is due to distance. In England, or most European countries, I can get on a train and be across the country in a matter of a few hours. If I want to go across the country here by train, I need to set aside several days for the journey. I can, of course, get on a plane and fly across the country in 4-5 hours, but then I have to go through the security hassle.

It's possible to drive across the country - I've gone from Toronto to Las Vegas by car in 34 hours over two days - and then after one day turned around and did the same trip back again. However it was really unsafe to do this, and I wouldn't recommend it - or at least do it with two drivers so the driving can be shared.

People in Europe just have no concept of the vastness of our country. I once had visitors from Holland come to visit on vacation, and part of their plans were to "spend a day in California" - they figured they would just drive out there and spend an afternoon, then come home for dinner. I guess growing up in a country that is 100 miles across, you can't really conceive of the size of our country! :)

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:48 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
twostrokes48 wrote:The transportation is the way it is because of our own doing.. We really love our cars and prefer to travel that way. Even the passenger trains that are running (amtrack) are supported mainly be government subsidy because not enough people will ride a train to make it profitable. I am actually surprised that we even have trains other than cargo running. Of course the other thing is to fly if you are in a hurry. As I had said eariler, I quit flying anymore because of the hassle. I'm not in that big a hurry, I'll drive.

On the contrary, a lot I think is due to distance. In England, or most European countries, I can get on a train and be across the country in a matter of a few hours. If I want to go across the country here by train, I need to set aside several days for the journey. I can, of course, get on a plane and fly across the country in 4-5 hours, but then I have to go through the security hassle.

It's possible to drive across the country - I've gone from Toronto to Las Vegas by car in 34 hours over two days - and then after one day turned around and did the same trip back again. However it was really unsafe to do this, and I wouldn't recommend it - or at least do it with two drivers so the driving can be shared.

People in Europe just have no concept of the vastness of our country. I once had visitors from Holland come to visit on vacation, and part of their plans were to "spend a day in California" - they figured they would just drive out there and spend an afternoon, then come home for dinner. I guess growing up in a country that is 100 miles across, you can't really conceive of the size of our country! :)

I agree with what you are saying, but what has it to do with not being able to put a vehicle on a train and travel "stress free" across the USA to a desired destination? The opposite is also true, the number of times I hear Americans saying they are going to Europe for 5 days, and they spend 1 day in 5 countries and expect to see everything!! My point was that unless you drive, you have no alternative to plane's for travel in the USA. For such a young and large country I would have thought Travel would have been better here..

Gary

rhassan
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Postby rhassan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Where are the flying cars? Seriously. When I was a kid in school, my teacher told me that technology was progressing at a rate such that we would have flying cars when I was grown up. So here I am. I've grown up and no flying cars. Lies man, lies. No accountability. I want flying cars. Then to the devil with arilines.

thrasherg

Postby thrasherg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 pm

rhassan wrote:Where are the flying cars? Seriously. When I was a kid in school, my teacher told me that technology was progressing at a rate such that we would have flying cars when I was grown up. So here I am. I've grown up and no flying cars. Lies man, lies. No accountability. I want flying cars. Then to the devil with arilines.

I would love to say I have grown up but it would be a lie.. I'm 47 and definitely not grown up!! :D

But would love a flying car, having said that, when I watch how most people drive a normal car, I am not sure I want them in control of a flying car!! :o

Gary

78AzWing
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 UnDressed and Progressively Weber Carbureted

Postby 78AzWing » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:55 am

If you are taking any kind of a load, flying is not an option at all.
So you drive, take the train ( AmTrak doesn't even go through Phoenix, Az. The closest station is in Maricopa 45 miles to the south) or the bus.

Shipping anything of any size is cost prohibitive.

So you are stuck driving your self.
We just finished a 3500 mile round trip to Seattle from just SE of Phoenix. I can do the leg from here to there in less than 24 hours, and the same back.
Costs less to drive than fly.
Costs less to drive than take the train.
And buses are slow, plus don't go where you want, nor do they stop when or where you need to.

And no security checks!
And your luggage gets there when you do!

Air travel is not enjoyable to me.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons
For thee are Krunchie and taste goode with Ketchup!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”