Damn this thing is heavy! GL1500SE

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
faithtalker1
Motorcycle: GL1500se

Damn this thing is heavy! GL1500SE

Postby faithtalker1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:18 pm

Ok so most of you don't know me but I am 46 years young, however I have had some pretty serious health issues since 2006 and can no longer do a lot of the things i used to really enjoy doing, and have recently been told I have the lower back of a 65 year old man. I am a contractor which really sucks, cause I live in a small town, I have always loved the physical part of the job and now after 15+ years I have to let my 3 guys do all the work. And sometimes can only afford to have two guys. But any way I was backing up the bike tonight and she leaned a little to far sideways and I couldn't keep her up. So I let her down very softly without hurting myself too bad. Thank goodness for the crash/roll bars under the saddle bags saved the machine from any damage. I got off the bike and was able with the help of the passenger hand holds able to get her back up and start over, but during the process I thought OH **** this isn't my VTX lol So don't know why I wanted to share this, but I am sure that maybe I am not the only one this has happened too. :)

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Damn this thing is heavy! GL1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Welcome to THE club,sooner or later everyone tests out the crash bars.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Lol yep I let my 1200 Aspencade down in some gravel one time at the end of a buddies drive way and at the time had a sprained wrist, he had to come out and help me pick it back up, but fortunately both times I was able to strain enough to let er down easy as to not do any damage.

mcasteel
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby mcasteel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:45 am

RoadRogue wrote:Welcome to THE club,sooner or later everyone tests out the crash bars.

I have always been told that there are 2 kinds of riders, those who have been down and those who are going down. I have dropped mine 2 times. The first time was the day after I bought it, luckily my uncle who is a long time rider was with me and helped me get it back up. He told me later that day the next time I dropped it would be a year later when I got too confident and dang it he was right, 14 months later I was in my church parking lot with several of my friends there, :oops: I was doing a 180 degree turn and was going too slow and too sharp and I laid it down. Luckily both times my pride was hurt as opposed to the bike or me physically. You for sure have to use your legs and not your arms and back to get the bike back up!
"I'm a single tail light in the wind"
"Keep the shiny side up"
"Pride is something you earn or achieve, not something you attain by accident of birth" - George Carlin

AMA / NRA / BSA

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:19 am

There is a method to right a bike with little effort.There are videos of this.
Just to try..I rolled both my 1100 and 1200 completely as far down as they would go.
It really surprised me when my wife could right it.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:18 am

I too did it soon after purchase - right in the yard of the guy I bought it from. He helped me pick it back up and probably wondered what his bike would look like in the future.

I joined the GWRRA and took advantage of parking lot practices and advanced riding courses. Learned a lot and made a bunch of like minded friends in the process.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Jaymom
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby Jaymom » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:24 am

I'm 5ft 6in tall, weigh 153 and im 74 years old. I have been riding my Rebel 250 for 4 years now and finally got a chance to get something bigger. I have always wanted a GoldWing and saw one on Craigslist.com and bought it. Have had it 3 weeks now and have only missed a few days of riding since I got it. I find it impossible to rock it back onto its center stand. I also watch what I am doing while riding and never let my mind wander. When I arrive someplace I always check the area or parking lot and never stop where I can't easily back it up on my own since it has no reverse. Odd thing about it is I find it easier to maneuver than the Rebel 250. Placing the bike in the right gear upon arrival as you enter a parking lot or whatever is a absolute necessity at least that works for me. Thinking ahead all the time and not letting the bike or the parking lot surprise you is extremely important. I know for a fact that I could never upright my 1986 1200 Aspencade by myself so I am probably somewhat over cautious.
Anyway, be kind to it and it will be kind to you. lol

Happy riding to you all,

Harold

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:48 am

The only thing I would add is to put the bike in gear so it doesn't roll around,or grab the brake if it's on the right side.
Here's the video.

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Very good video, believe it or not this is almost the way i got mine back up I did grab the seat handle and the handle grip, but I used my hip to put it up and quickly put the kick stand in position. So I had an idea how to do it. I probably exerted a little more effort than the back Technic, but I did manage to get it back up fairly easily. Thanks for the info all though I love reading the posts on here. When I picked it up I did notice the seat handle was a little loose, so someone has had that off as well. Take care and safe riding everyone, keep the rubber on the rode.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 pm

You can add me to the list of those who have "been there, done that" The first time it happened to me was in the Redwood forest on a trip the wife and I took. I had pulled off the pavement in a park to take some pics and was parked in a 6in deep bed of needles from the trees. When we got ready to get back on the pavement, I let the clutch out and the rear wheel just spun me over enough that with my wife on there, I just couldn't hold it up. I eased it on down, we got off and was able to get it back up using method similar to the video mentioned. It worked and we were on our way. No harm to us or the bike. The 2nd time I was pulling out of a driveway when a guy parked on the side of the road decided to pull out at the same time. I hit my breakes still half on the driveway and half in the street. The dip in the road made my feet not reach the pavement. By the time I was leaning far enough for my foot to hit the ground, I was too far over to hold her up. Same thing, let her down easy so I could get off and get her back upright. I really hope I don't have to go through that again with this 98 I now have...but I'm sure I will someday.

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:59 am

They all want to take a nap on us at least once in a lifetime and lay down to do it. Just like the guy in the video said, the first thing we do is look around. Not for help, but to check if there were any witnesses. If you follow his instructions the bike the bike comes up easy. I had to do it this past summer at my camp site during bike week in Laconia. My foot slipped on wet grass as I was trying to back it up. Soft landing with no witnesses. It came back up much easie than I thought. Keep a firm grip,a straight back and drive those legs! I"ve even seen some Harley dealers have womens workshops to teach that technique and they wind up with bike sales cuz the ladies didn't think they could pick up the bike. When they found out they could with ease, they didn't think twice about buyingtheir own.

bubbs
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby bubbs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:46 am

The wife and I went to France on an 1800, I dropped it coming up the ramp on the ferry. Its amazing where your strenght comes from when there are about two hundred people watching.

coldcanuk
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby coldcanuk » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:11 pm

I can also join the list of laying the GW over. Both times I was stopping and my foot slipped on gravel. No damage, just my pride. Learned how to pick it properly from You Tube. The technique works like a charm.

barnaclebill
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing SE Trike conversion (Totally submerged in 2011 floods),
rebuilt with replacement 1992 engine

Postby barnaclebill » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:53 am

One of the things I considered when buying my Wing was "could I lift it - or even hold it up!" I'm 77, so no Tarzan! I ended up with a Trike, which - hopefully - never falls over! Great posting, helpful and amusing.

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:12 am

I myself will probably end up with a Trike one day. If not for the purpose of not being to pick mine up anymore or even hold it up; for the purpose of getting my wife to ride alone. I think it is more the fact that she feels she doesn't have any control that makes her not want to take many rides with me. I know she has always said she would feel safer on a Trike.

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:41 pm

Have you considered down sizing to a shadow or the new to the states NT700V? they're both lighter yet still capable of touring. Unless you're pulling a trailer. Give it some thought! :idea:

musinger
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500se
1975 CB750F

Postby musinger » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:01 am

Did it to my gl1100 and I dread the day that it happens on my gl1500, alot more weight.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:36 am

And take my word for it - GL1800s come up the same way as the video shows. I found the video and watched it long before I set my bike on it's side, while forgetting to put the sidestand down. ALWAYS keep your mind on what you are doing if you are riding. As most have mentioned, the only thing bruised was my pride. I now teach others how to pick their bikes up, so there was a silver lining to that cloud.

Viking
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Well this was my youngest sons first long trip on the 1500 he and I both weigh around 225 each. So he is a real good passenger, he doesn't try to steer or lean or anything. Towards the end of the trip he was fidgeting a little much because he was getting tired and getting sore. Any how the second to he went to load himself on the bike he said are you ready and before I said yes he proceeded to climb aboard and over went the bike. I had him help me pick it up, so from there on out I set the side stand and then had him climb on. When he exited the bike at the end of the trip he must have bumped open one of the little compartments under the rear speakers on the kick stand side and I guess the door was opened and he broke it right off. I cannot believe those are only held on by to little plastic molded pins about the size of a pencil lead. So these bikes were like $15,000.00 or something like that I think in 1995 and they couldn't hinge these on instead of that dinky little plastic pin clip. I do believe I will be buying me some small piano hinges in stainless steel and attaching them to each of those boogers. But any who very good ride, 80 when we left 58 when we got to west virginia. My wife suggested that we avoid 270 bypass around columbus because of heavy traffic so we chose to go 33 through dublin and right through down town. Big mistake, road construction, somebody got hit on a bicycle and blocked traffic, then we got behind a transit bus that stopped at every block for 10 miles and every block had a stop light, so he would stop while light was green; pick up or drop off and then sit through the red light. To make a longer story short we came out 4 miles short of where 270 would have dumped us at and lost about 2 hours so a 6 hour trip took nearly 8. I rather enjoyed the ride but I had not intended to ride the last 60 miles through the mountains in the dark with my 16 year old passenger. Thanks for listening to me roar. LOL :)

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Really good ride though, don't know how I got into all the other stuff the main msg was supposed to be to put kick stand down when a passenger boards the wing as 900lbs+225lbs is to many lbs for this old man to hold up.

barnaclebill
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing SE Trike conversion (Totally submerged in 2011 floods),
rebuilt with replacement 1992 engine

Postby barnaclebill » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:41 am

Real good story - with a moral to it! Ride on!

paulr
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE..now gone..
1991 1500GL INTERSTATE
2008 VTX 1800

Postby paulr » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:47 am

Jaymom wrote:I'm 5ft 6in tall, weigh 153 and im 74 years old. I have been riding my Rebel 250 for 4 years now and finally got a chance to get something bigger. I find it impossible to rock it back onto its center stand. I also watch what I am doing while riding and never let my mind wander. When I arrive someplace I always check the area or parking lot and never stop where I can't easily back it up on my own since it has no reverse. Odd thing about it is I find it easier to maneuver than the Rebel 250. Placing the bike in the right gear upon arrival as you enter a parking lot or whatever is a absolute necessity at least that works for me. Thinking ahead all the time and not letting the bike or the parking lot surprise you is extremely important. I know for a fact that I could never upright my 1986 1200 Aspencade by myself so I am probably somewhat over cautious.
Anyway, be kind to it and it will be kind to you. lolHappy riding to you all,Harold

Have to say Harold good on ya for not letting age get in the way of buying a wing,i do exactly the same as you when i go out for a ride and think ahead when parking,i also have a 1500, which is a lot easier to put on the centrestand than the 1200,the trick here is to stand on the footpiece at the back of the stand and pull back using the rear crash bar and h/bars,my 1500 is an interstate and does not possess reverse either,but it is also lighter than the GL and as yet have never found the need for it(less to go wrong too)i had a 2 year old 750 shadow afore and find both wings easier to manoeuvre and better handling too.Just like to add i am around 5'8",180 lbs,and 63yrs in a months time

brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Postby brentsboats » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:40 am

You need to go look at a brand new Trumph .. The salesman laid it down on the show room floor .Then he used just his left hand and 2 fingers to lift it back up .Amazing to say the least . And as far as the body is concerned ,,IVe been down that road ,Worked my butt off my whole like .Always lifting something that was 3 times my weight ,Bathtubs,Boilers,20 ft cast iron 4 to 6 inch pipe and then carry them up 4 flights of stairs . I distroyed my body ,Legs .Back, .Now at age 61 ,there are times i feel like iam 90 . So my friend ,i would say ,, let the help do all the work ,, Your the boss ,, all you have to do is make sure they do it right , And tell your kids or grankids to stay in school to become a Doctor,Lawyer, Banker . The trades will make them money for sure ,but it will also shorten the quality of life .. and the last thing ,,i have a friend of mine that weighs about 120 lbs , He can snap my center stand in place on either of my bikes in a heartbeat .I still cant do it .. He tells me ,its all in the wrist . Ill just keep using the side stand .
Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Just dont let the footpeg fall on your toes like I did.

This little girl could pick up a wing. Its a technique thing.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:07 pm

I'm sixty four and with my knees and lower back I'm glad I have a sidecar fitted. It doesn't fall over, no heaving the bike onto its stand, ice , gravel, no worries.

Sid

Return to “Goldwing Chat”