Desperate for HELP Please?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
faithtalker1
Motorcycle: GL1500se

Desperate for HELP Please?

Postby faithtalker1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:33 am

Every year a buddy and I go on a 5-10 bike ride. We have done this for the last 5-6 years. Every year we are getting later and later with our trips due to busy schedules and uncertainty in our work. I do this once a year to try and relieve some stress of running my own business and just need the time to get away from it all and relax. Year before last we did a trip to new river gorge in wv and it rained the whole entire trip, the only time it quit raining was when we did the actual rafting trip only to begin raining the minute we took the boat from the water. I live in Ohio and my buddy lives in Wv where I am originally from. We did not make any concrete plans as to where to go this trip and decided we would just do a riding trip and stop where ever and whenever. My point is that they got rain in the forecast for the next 10 days straight here and any where east, southeast, or even due south of where I live. I live in the mid western part of the state just 15 minutes from the indiana line. If any of you are familiar with Ohio, with exception of the south eastern part of the state it is very flat and all roads are straight and squared off. The map of the roads in this area look like a checker board. What we would like to do is go southwest of where I live in Celina, Ohio or even due west to try and avoid all this rain, as neither of us is ready for a stressful trip with both need time to relax. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I would love to hear if anyone has ridden through Illinois, Iowa, or Missouri for that matter and get some opinions and suggestions, We are not locked into any set plan except we both have to be back to work next Monday. HELP!

faithtalker1

Re: Desperate for HELP Please?

Postby faithtalker1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:14 am

Ok so we may have decided to head from here to Branson Missouri, good place to get a scenic map from Celina, to branson online?

cpwomer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby cpwomer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:04 am

I live in Ellijay GA and I love the Blue Ridge mtns but with the weather the way it is and I lived up where you all are at I would head west and north go up the west side of MI heading for the Mackinaw bridge to the UP down into WI and go thru to French Lake follow down go wide across the Dells south to rte 80 and zoom back home for work on Monday...The weather is cool but not to cold and clear for a good long run... but heres the trick you are not allowed on any interstates only run the 2 lane roads. Whew what a run and boy it was beautiful I had a wonderful time and saw alot of stuff, I sure appreciate you guys letting me come along, have a nice day and see ya next year...**Craig**
1988 GL1500 U.S Army, Ret. Owner/Operator,Ride Captain Patriot Guard Rider of GA, Director American Legion Riders Post 149 Jasper, GA

rhassan
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Postby rhassan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:01 am

The Branson area is some beautiful country. I'd definitely encourage that as a destination. The weather looks pretty decent now west of the Appalachians and across the midwest, but then you never know how it can change over the course of the week.

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 am

Yes I do know how quickly the weather can change, but sure looks like a whole lot more chance of good weather that way then out east or south east. The problem I am having now is mapping a good route for us that isn't all interstate I guess I should start out by just going and buying an atlas and map my own two lane roads. Thanks for the info on the michigan ride as I considered that direction as well. But this time I am hoping we decide on Branson from every thing I see on motorcylce roads.com it is supposed to be some of the most beautiful midwest riding available. So will let you all know when we get back where we went and how it went. Thanks again all. :D

biker4christ
Motorcycle: crashed 1982 GL1100A Aspencade-scrap heep

Postby biker4christ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:58 pm

we live in south central missouri,some vrey nice ridin around here,we are about 1 1/2 hrs north of branson,watch for the deer tho we got one last week good lick and be safe bro :D

waywardone
Motorcycle: 1994 gw se

Postby waywardone » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:05 am

Hello I live and ride in missouri, there are alot of beautiful miles of winding highways to travel here and you can get most places by avoiding the interstates. route 66 runs virtually paralell to interstate 44 and can take you through some interesting places and then there is lake of the ozarks many scenic miles in that area.. be safe

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:47 am

You might try http://www.sundaymorningrides.com they have a number of rides that are interesting and can be downloaded to a garmin gps or printed. The site is free and list all the states and Canada. It shows a map of the route and can be zoomed in so you can see the road names.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:14 am

2008retiredplb wrote:You might try http://www.sundaymorningrides.com they have a number of rides that are interesting and can be downloaded to a garmin gps or printed. The site is free and list all the states and Canada. It shows a map of the route and can be zoomed in so you can see the road names.
Thank you and if you need another site to visit there is motorcycleroads.com and one called open journey. Thanks again I will check it out.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:28 am

The roads around Branson are great motorcycle roads however riding "through" Branson might not relieve your stress.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

faithtalker1

Postby faithtalker1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:06 am

dingdong wrote:The roads around Branson are great motorcycle roads however riding "through" Branson might not relieve your stress.
just plan on heading that way may not even make it all the way to branson, seems like because of weather and other issues may be getting a late start.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”