Lightly scratched windshield?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
faithtalker1
Motorcycle: GL1500se

Lightly scratched windshield?

Postby faithtalker1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 am

I have noticed that because I wear glasses and my windshield has some fine scratches in it I have a little trouble seeing at night when headlights glare off the windshield, through the glass of my full face helmet and onto my glasses which make it nearly impossible. I have noticed when I look to the right or left of my windshield, 90% of the problem seems to disappear. So I also notice on my Vtx with the windshield being newer I can see a whole lot better through it. Is there a product better than another to take fine scratches out or at least decrease them to a bare minimum. I have already tried 4 products That claim to do the trick, but they have been mediocre at best.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Lightly scratched windshield?

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:05 am

You might want to try an aircraft windshield polish kit - a quick search turned up this.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:20 am

I've had decent results with Mequiar's Clear Plastic Polish
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:45 am

I've heard that some or maybe most windshields are polycarbonate with a scratch resistant coating. How do they hold up to the polishes that people are using on them? How can you tell if your windshield is coated or not?
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:09 pm

I had the same problem with my windscreen. The only big diff is that my has an eagle and mt's. eched in it. If you look at my pic's you can see it. I asked my local parts house,"napa" what he would recomend. He said a lot of bikers have been buying Meguiars, plastx. Clear plastic cleaner & polish. I tried it on the headlights of my jimmy and it worked great. I then tried a smal out of the way spot on my windscreen. It cleaned up nicely. I tried it on the hole thing. I couldn't believe the diff :!: It didn't get all the swirl marks out and I still had some problems at night. I then tried some experiments. I bought Nu Finish Scratch Doctor. Says Clear Coat Scratch Remover. I tried it as well. I was amazed at what it did :D I used a terri cloth put it on and rub it in. I did it litely and repeted it 3 to 4 times. I got 80% of the marks out of my screen useing both :!: I don't try to get the marks all out at once, I work at it so the screen stays uniform. Do both sides for best results. I also used the Nu Finish on the paint along with Wizards Black Renew. Man O Man, I didn't know how blue the bike was till I did it. I thought the color was black or purple. Now The blue stands out :D :!: The Wizards will bring any color back to life ;) Both my master cyl's. were a yuck black, but after the Black Renew they look almost like new :!: I'm glad I tried it. I had some people ask if I repainted the bike, but I showed them some of the scratches and they couldn't believe the color diff :!: I am very pleased with the way she turned out. Every week I go over her again just to see if I can make a diff :!: If it wasn't for the fact I want to repaint her, I'd leave her the way she is. Gives me a new color to think about when I go to repaint her. As with anything, a little "TLC" goes along way :D
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Meguiars PLASTX gets my vote! The fairing and shield I put on my wing were older than the bike. the shield was opaque at best. After a couple applications with a drill and pad, I can see thru it no problem. Even at night. However I don't think many shields claim optical clearity. Most set up instructions I've seen recomend looking over rather than through the shield.

redghost
Motorcycle: "1992 GL1500I Interstate"

Postby redghost » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:32 am

[img]
[/img My windshield before working on it. Looks almost new now. Give me time to get it off and finish, and I'll show and explain, How to save your wallet, and renew your windshield. I can see at night now, and was scared to ride at night up until now. Redghost...
Attachments
Here's what my windshield use to look like!
Here's what my windshield use to look like!

greganderson
Motorcycle: 1979 goldwing gl1000

Postby greganderson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:13 pm

redghost, which product are you using in the images?

I am glad i found this post, i rode the other night, first time with my new-to-me bike and couldnt believe how bad the visibility was when approached by cars.... i thought it was my eyes. Yes, the scratches on the windshield AND the slight curvature really messed with my perception.
Thanks for the posts
Greg Anderson

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:35 am

Honda has a clear coat on the stock windshield. Mine started cracking and the edges were flaking off. redghost looks like his entire windshield was bad but the clear part was with the coating gently removed.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

redghost

Postby redghost » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:17 am

Hello Greg, I think I went in and wrote a complete guide to doing this procedure that I did and trust me, it works. It will look like a new windshield when you get finished with it if you do it the right way. I think, I wrote it up under the How-to-Articles. It is a rather time consuming process, (several hours) but well worth the effort and elbow grease it takes to get it done. It does not just come off. I used to do a good bit of building tool boxes and small paper holding items from the plexiglass or lexan product that is the same thing I think as the windshields are made from. I think one of the biggest problems with the scratches come from folks using just anything to clean the windshield with. CLEAN 100% COTTON SHIRT/RAG should be the only thing with mild dish liquid, is the only way you should clean the windshield. Don't use dirty water out of the bucket. Dirty rags will trap dirt particles and you will just shine on the scratches and never notice it until it is too late. At night when you can't see. There is two different products along with sand paper of two different kinds that I used. The polish alone will not work. You also will need a polishing pad and a high speed drill motor. You will have to bring on the heat to make it work. You will be basically polishing the windshield. I already had the drill and pad, so all it cost me was about $20 bucks and some elbow grease along with some sweat. There is usually a very thin clear plastic like hand-wrap you would put over a bowl for left over food for tomorrow that you will stick in the fridge. The same thing is on a new windshield that has to be peeled off when it is installed. It is put on from the factory to prevent scratches before you or a dealer gets it. You wouldn't buy a already scratched windshield, so it is protected. Most people don't read directions because they think they already know what they are doing and guess what, the film gets left on the windshield back and front. Over some time it gets scratched easy because it is just a film. And the dealers will love you to keep coming back to buy a new windshield every couple years or five. I will look to see that I explained how to do this clean up, but please look for it too. It would have been around the same time frame as when I posted the ones showing it here on my first post. My new windshield would have cost me almost $400 from the dealer and that was with me doing the change out. I liked the $20 bucks better. After you clean one back up to new condition, you WILL be more careful to how you wash it too. If you have sand on something you can see clearly is on the windshield before you start to wash it, use just water and your finger to get it off first. One grain of sand will dig deep into that windshield, so remove it first using your finger. The finger won't trap the debris and the water will take it right off before you wash it. Have a good day and God Bless!

I guess someone else was replying to the post at the same time as I was about to submit as I mentioned the film (coat that is mentioned in the reply) which is absolutely correct as I had already mentioned but when it is new, it will peel right off like you peel off tape and it will be in one big sheet as the size of the windshield. When it gets old, however it is not so easy to just peel off. You may get lucky and it come right off. My bike is a 1992 so I had to work at mine. As you can see in the images, it was really bad....

I posted about this problem because I don't want to see someone get killed because they couldn't see, especially at night..... I know a lot of bikes have badly scratched up windshields and they can't afford the money it costs to replace the windshields, I didn't....
Last edited by redghost on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

redghost

Postby redghost » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:58 am

Okay, I went back to try and find where I wrote a procedure to clean up the scratches, and I couldn't find it. I do apologize for that. I must have just thought I wrote it up and did not or I did and didn't post it. Either way I don't see it now. I will have to go back to see exactly what products and everything I used to do the job and I will try to do that around the first of the week. I will post a procedure on doing this in the How-to Articles from start to finish. The material and tools you will need to do this with. This procedure will SHOCK you to how clear your windbreaker (windshield) will be. It will remove swirls and the scratches if you work at it. I will have to find the pictures that I took during the process and hopefully I can. If not, Sorry.. You will also be able to use the same procedure on your car or truck headlight covers too!! It's a win win even for mama.... She will like it when she can see at night better too, if you clean up the car lens at the same time as you do your motorcycle, then she won't mind you working on your bike too.... Ha, Ha,, Have a blessed day everybody...... When mama's happy, every bodies happy!

It will even work on your boat windshield too or anything that is made of lexan or plexiglass. I'm not refuring this about glass though!

greganderson
Motorcycle: 1979 goldwing gl1000

Postby greganderson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:50 am

cool, thanks to redghost for the details....you must know my wife...."When mama's happy, every bodies happy!"...I am going to bookmark this so I can keep refering to the description. A nice afternoon of elbow grease never hurt anybody and I am getting my teenage son to help me restore this bike, so it is a great bonding and learning experience for us both.
anyway, i used to have a large acrylic aquarium and buffing out scratches became a habit....i can see now that this too will take time and patience, but like you said, the thought of any of us going down because of visibility is not a good thought.
I tried the headlight solutions from Walmart and it brightened it more than removed scratches. I am going to look into the film removal, it is a 1979 and may not be there anymore. I don't know.
I will come back to this post within the next few days to share what i have discovered.
I can't say enough how much I appreciate this forum/web site....we all have the same interests and I enjoy the brotherhood of bike-riding.
THanks to you to julykuyies for the input....
Ride on brothers and keep safe!

Greg Anderson

Return to “Goldwing Chat”