windscreen rain repellents

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

windscreen rain repellents

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:41 am

I have been looking at previous posts with regard to rain repellent products for use on my screen. A recent ride out gave me my first experience of riding my GL1500 in the rain, and whilst I did stay perfectly dry, I found seeing through the screen difficult. Fortunately, I am quite tall and could manage to see over the screen, although I found this tiring after a while.

Now, living in England, the issue of riding in rain is likely to be a frequent occurrence so I really want to find a product which will help shed the rain from my windscreen. I note that “Lemon Pledge” is mooted enthusiastically by many riders but this doesn’t seem to be available in the UK. I also note that many riders insist that it has to be the lemon variety and not other kinds. With this in mind, I looked up the ingredients list for this product and its sister products, provided by the manufacturer. The thing is, Pledge sprays, at least the lemon/orange varieties and the “moisturising” types, all seem to have exactly the same ingredients. Interestingly, although the actual Lemon Pledge can states, “contains lemon oil”, there is no mention of this in the ingredients list.

So, is there a consensus of opinion regarding the best rain repellent product for use on windscreens and if Pledge works, does it really matter if it isn’t the lemon variety?

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: windscreen rain repellents

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:55 am

Did you look at Moto Solutions RainCoat windshield coating? I got caught in rain yesterday, and this stuff (even though I put it on over a month ago) still works great for me.

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Wingman

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that stuff looks good although others say that it doesn't last too long and has to be replaced frequently. But if it lasts for a month at a time then I might try and obtain some. It doesn't seem to be generally available over here at motorcycle dealers and has to be sent for via the internet (it is a tad expensive too, at least here it is) which is why I was wanting to explore alternatives, particularly ones which don't destroy the plastic.
The game's afoot;

britman
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing and an 82 naked goldwing

Postby britman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Why not give some of the car polishes a go see how that works i do my car front screen when i polish it . I use a good carnuba wax

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:50 am

Thanks all for your comments. I have obtained some Raincoat (£9 for five sachets) and will give that a go. I guess I need only treat the top six inches or so of the screen as that is the part through which I need to have clear vision, so I hope this product will last a fair length of time. As soon as the product came through my letter box, the sun came out - our summer arrived in late September!
The game's afoot;

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:22 am

Well, congrats on the sun coming out and summer beginning... The sun here just went away, and summer ended on the 23rd for us (yeah, I know, that is the official ending of summer anyway). I hope to at least get some normal England style riding in between now and snowtime, but I hope you have a good "summer" now. I am just hoping for an Indian Summer this year, like last year.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”