Feed back on trailers

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
tazzmann1952
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Feed back on trailers

Postby tazzmann1952 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:08 pm

looking to buy a trailer.
Looking for feed back on how you like what you have.
not looking for a small wheeled one !
Thanz
Attachments

gompa
Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

Re: Feed back on trailers

Postby gompa » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:48 am

we have a older bunk houst tent trailer that we pull behind our 08 wing, and love it, have put many miles and night with it.

gompa

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:51 pm

tazzmann1952 wrote:looking to buy a trailer.
Looking for feed back on how you like what you have.
not looking for a small wheeled one !
Thanz
Attachments

tazzmann1952
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Postby tazzmann1952 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:56 pm

Sorry guy's not a tent trailer, just a cargo one.
Like the Escape !
My wife say's that if it doesn't say
Residence Inn on it, she will not stay ! LOL

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:58 pm

I have a Microlite cargo trailer, has 12" wheels, weighs about 160 pounds empty, and has somewhere around thirty five cubic of cargo space. They also make one that is like a mini hard trailer that sleeps one person.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Heres my old one.
Attachments

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Mine is very similar to the one in photos above...It is homemade. Started with small trailer frm Harbor Freight and bolting one of those large Car fiberglass toppers to it, added a little frame to hold a cooler in front and that was it....Has been great so far. May upgrade by getting rid of the car topper and putting two truck cargo boxes back to back on it. I like the diamond plate pattern. It willl look a little better and hold a little more. Just trying to justify it at a cost of about $550 for the two truck cargo boxes. We will see by next spring.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:21 am

Here is a pic of the Microlite. I have the larger one, shown on the left, without the yellow on it..... lol.

ImageImage

racing chevy 67
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing
2004 honda aero ,shadow

Postby racing chevy 67 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:02 pm

here is a bunch of them for sale on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Why do you want to avoid the small wheeled trailers? I have one with 8 inch wheels that I have draged around for over 10,000 miles with no issues.speeds up to 90mph for hours at a time . I make sure I use good high speed rated bearings and a good quality wheel bearing grease every spring. I have even checked the hub temp immediatly after an extended high speed run and could always keep my hand on it. My trailer weighs in at 300# loaded.I really cant feel it back there until I have to do some emergency braking
Larger wheels weigh more and the tires are more expensive,I might be missing something here but I dont see that larger wheels are an advantage.Can anyone give me a good reason in favor of 12" or bigger wheels/tires?
Attachments
All geared up for a 2 week,5,000 mile ride
All geared up for a 2 week,5,000 mile ride
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:12 am

RoadRogue wrote:Can anyone give me a good reason in favor of 12" or bigger wheels/tires?

Well, I can give you the extensible reason, don't know if it is really a good one tho, in light of your own experience. 12" wheels and tires rotate less often than 8" wheels and tires, supposedly thereby running cooler and wearing longer. You already said above that your 8" wheels run cool, and last a long time, so perhaps the extensible reason is not correct and people should totally rethink their views. My personal experiences have not matched yours as I had heavier weights, such as boat, motor, trailer setups, and the tiny little wheels and tires were prone to problems, but I have never had a very very small trailer with 8" wheels, so I do not have experience with that particular situation, and therefore cannot comment positively, nor negatively.

ImageImage

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:06 pm

I think you hit the nail right on the head, its the load on the bearings not the RPM, coupled with poor maintainance that causes problems.
Ride safe, Todd

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:11 am

I do have to relate that, I pulled the chinese bearings off my Microlite trailer after 5000 miles, and replaced them with Timken bearings, all greased up with fully synthetic bearing grease. It even rolled better, but the intention was to have zero problems. I now carry a set of the chinese bearings with me in case of problems, which will probably mean I will never have any. I do have to say tho, that I only got 5000 miles out of the original tires, and when I contacted the tire representative about warrantee, they said that I got more miles than I ever should have anyway. I was a bit shocked at that response, so did not buy the same tires again. I went with Carlisle radials (yes, radials on a tiny little cargo trailer) and hope they do better for distance wear, as they cost double over biased ply. And I agree that most problems with tiny, as in 8" wheel applications is bearing failure. A good grade of bearing and good grease, done often enough, would probably eliminate that problem anyway. And trailers that sit for years at a time with only occasional use need the bearings repacked also, every two or three years.

ImageImage

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:23 pm

I have owned both, the 8" wheel trailer and the 12", I have been all over with both, the only difference in the two is nothing other than height of the trailer, there is one thing to consider, which tire is more availabe in stores, the 8" or the 12", my money's on the 12"...the trailer is 4" taller too :shock: ... Oh and the 12" tire doesn't roll around as many times as the shorter one :shock: ... :lol: like it matter's :geek: ...I just like the 12" better for some reason..That mircolite trailer sure is nice, I bet it cost like hell too...I made mine for well under $400 using just some common tools....Oh an by the way I love my trailer to answer your question, you can do stuff with mine you can't with others...It's my bed for camping, it's my work table in the garage and I use it everyday and it hooks to my riding mower for stuff in the yard, now your not going to do any of that with those pretty expensive trailers are you? Hell no..And I'm working on making it a recovery trailer so if I ever break down I can remove the top cover and bolt in a rail and be able to trailer the bike, it right there on the spot..simply remove the top [using wingnuts] place your junk in the top upside down and just put it all in the pickup that's towing you and your good.. So how's that for an idea, do that with one of those expensive trailer's,,,no way.....Hey this is all coming from the kid that made a go cart out of a two wheel dolly and a wagon wheel axle and two front wheels and some rope :shock: to hold things together, I was dreaming crap up even as a 5 year old, wait the wife says I still am a 5 year old.. :o Oh guy's I now have a small ac unit attached to the side of my trailer too, again I don't see that on these expensive one's do you.. :lol:

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:52 pm

littlebeaver wrote:That mircolite trailer sure is nice, I bet it cost like hell too...I made mine for well under $400 using just some common tools....Oh an by the way I love my trailer to answer your question, you can do stuff with mine you can't with others...It's my bed for camping, it's my work table in the garage and I use it everyday and it hooks to my riding mower for stuff in the yard, now your not going to do any of that with those pretty expensive trailers are you? Hell no..

About $1500 for the Microlite, and pardon me all to hell for having the money to buy one instead of hammering one together in my shop. :lol: Been there, done that. Don't need to do that anymore. But I am happy for you that you do have such skills and are willing to put them to the test. Being retired now, my time is too taken up enjoying myself. :D (tazzman did say he wanted to buy one)

ImageImage

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm

oh good one... :shock: :lol: just trying to save the man about 1100 bucks that's all... ment=0]IM001500.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:46 am

RoadRogue wrote:Why do you want to avoid the small wheeled trailers? I have one with 8 inch wheels that I have draged around for over 10,000 miles with no issues.speeds up to 90mph for hours at a time . I make sure I use good high speed rated bearings and a good quality wheel bearing grease every spring. I have even checked the hub temp immediatly after an extended high speed run and could always keep my hand on it. My trailer weighs in at 300# loaded.I really cant feel it back there until I have to do some emergency braking
Larger wheels weigh more and the tires are more expensive,I might be missing something here but I dont see that larger wheels are an advantage.Can anyone give me a good reason in favor of 12" or bigger wheels/tires?

I love the spoiler on the trailer in your photo up top there , .... :lol: :lol: I want one of those....for my little trailer....RoadRogue I'm serious, does it work? If I had $1.500 I buy that black and yellow trailer in a NewYork minute for that price, I figured it would be at least $2.500 for it..

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:10 am

Retired...What...retired.. like in No more work everyday...Ah man.... :lol: :lol: I wish I could be retired....Tazz, the black one above looks good, and the price is right...Good luck in your purchase, I would love to see what you get, maybe you can post a photo.. :D

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 pm

The "spoiler" was originally started life as a wind deflector on the FRONT of a Jeep of some sort. Does it work? I guess so,really its a very wide handle to open the trailer lid and a place to mount extra brake lights. It looks good in my opinion. If you want something like it just go for a walk through your favorite wrecking yard with a hand full of tools. I always look at things for what they could be used for, not what they were designed for. You know what thats like dont you Littlebeaver? ;)
Ride safe, Todd

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:34 pm

I have a " HomeBuilt " with 16 inch wheels. It weighs about 155 empty. and perhaps 325, absolutely full. Maintenance, as stated above of the wheel bearings is indeed critical.

You can pick up a used homebuilt for less than $400, and paint it to match your machine. A trip to a carpet shop will give you enough scraps to make a nice surface inside to cushion most items. I have towed mine for tens of thousands of KMs , with no trouble .

It easily carries more tenting and camping gear than I would ever need . I even use it for shopping at home depot, on a sunny day , or going for groceries.

The tires wear out, not from the mileage, but from solar cracks. You need new tires about every 6 years or so ... even if the tread seems perfect .

After all those trouble free miles, the only critical thing , IMHO is a fish scale . Every time I have quickly broken camp with wet gear, too quickly stowed , my handling has suffered ... and within a few miles , I stop to re-arrange the internal load.

With my trailer , the BEST handling occurs with about 25 to 30 lbs tongue weight ......... hence the fish scale ... If I pack up with the scale, to balance front and back, and bring the tongue weight to 25 lbs, I can trailer it all day , without even knowing its there.

ogilly0753
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800

Postby ogilly0753 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:19 pm

I have a 2001 Timeout cargo trailer and it has been a pretty nice trailer. Yes it has the 12" wheels but tows very nice and straight. We were involved in a accident this summer while towing our trailer behind a trike. I have been working through some issues concerning stopping distance, etc. I am convinced that my trike brakes were not bleed correctly so they did not have the braking power it should have. The other issue I had was I felt the trailer no matter how you load it will push you and are their brakes for them? I started my research to find brakes for a small cargo trailer to help assist with the braking of my trike. From what I found the electro/magentic are a no-no since what I have read is they can activate by just a pot hole. Dexter, a leading axle/trailer manufacture does not recommend brakes for a trailer of the size we are chatting about. I did find a hydraulic/electro brake system already installed on a cargo trailer from BF Bunkhouse called the Moriah. I am very interested in this trailer however I am not ready to purchase one just yet, plus I would like to test pull one. I will post more info once I am able to test the trailer. Attached are pics of the Timeout and the Moriah.
Attachments
Retired USAF
OIF 2007
GWRRA member
ND Patriot Guard

portland
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A

Postby portland » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:43 pm

I have the time out gl1800 cargo trailer and love it. I just put almost 6000 miles on it and the tires look like new. It has 24 cu. ft of space and it was full, great trailer with 12" wheels ---love it

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Oh yeh, those time out trailers are nice, are you planning on painting it or having it painted the same as the bike...I mean to match the bikes color..???? I like the grey one with the rails on top,,,Nice...that would look better than the one I made behind my bike I think..Maybe I shall buy it...

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:17 pm

I'm still thinking about taking the topper off the homemade rig I have now, and add two alum. diamond plate tool boxes. They are pretty close to 2x2x4 in size. I will have them open up both to the center. Think it would look very good. Just have to justify the $500.00 plus it will cost me to buy the two boxes...Will be awhile, just had to put new tires on my Sierra today. ouch!!!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:36 pm

Those are some nice looking trailers.
SilverDave's trailer looks like it would carry a lot of cargo. I like that.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “Camping and Trailers”