New Ideas for making the Goldwing lighter

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

New Ideas for making the Goldwing lighter

Postby fastf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:39 am

I have sat in this room and people have come up with all types of engine designs sizes.What I would like to know has any one tried to design a carbon fiber frame and some of the engine componants if not the engine to help keep the weight down.I understand carbon fiber can be made to be very strong just food for thought .I'm sure that there are people from Honda come in these sites to get peoples input on new ideas for their bikes and such.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New Ideas for making the Goldwing lighter

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:27 am

Carbon fiber is exquisitely expensive.

You can engineer all kinds of things to be lighter, more powerful, but in the end it's all a trade-off between expense and performance/reliability. You have to create something that people can afford (and are willing to pay) while being performant, and something that will last for years with minimal maintenance. Technology and alloys help, but how much are you willing to pay for 50 lbs less weight and some more horsepower?

Racing cars weigh next to nothing, use exotic, expensive high-tech materials for their construction, and require extreme maintenance to run. They also don't need to be reliable for more than a couple hundred miles at most.

On the other end are low-end consumer vehicles that use the cheapest construction materials that consumers will tolerate, and need to require next to no maintenance in order to be reliable for tens of thousands of miles.

Having crewed on a racing team and seeing the level of maintenance required to keep one-off racing cars going, it continues to blow my mind that vehicles like ours just "keep going" and just "work" without having to rebuild engines and so on. There's an extreme amount of engineering required to design this kind of reliability - and a lot of experience.

fastf

Postby fastf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:00 pm

I know what you are saying but a lot of things are made with carbon fiber.When Honda first designed the Goldwing they had to figure what went were and come up with ways to keep cost down alot of automobile and motorcycle concepts are prototypes and shown at shows to get the public input.A few years ago plastic and nylon and fiberglass was unheard of but once massed produce the price dropped Honda every year it made slow changes to keep ahead of the competiton and keep the price down take a look a the 1000 to now the newer bikes don't have hardley any Chrome it's all plastic to keep down weight .I can tell you someone will mass produce a composite frame and others will follow and I can say the other manufactures will figure to keep cost down.The motorcycle world is constantly changing in our lives and you and I have only seen a portion of it who knows in a few years these things might be flying .Have a Blessed Day everyone

paulr
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 INTERSTATE..now gone..
1991 1500GL INTERSTATE
2008 VTX 1800

Postby paulr » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:55 am

My gl1500 is an Interstate,so it has no reverse,cruise control,on board compressor,radio cassette...it has a kenwood stereo in left glove pocket...and no digital readout on dash......but it is 40-50lbs lighter than the SE and the seat height is 1 inch lower also.....one way of being lighter anyway :D

fastf

Postby fastf » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:00 pm

One idea is keeping a Goldwing Lighter is to keep my big butt off of one lol. There is so much tech.out there to cut down weight carbon fiber is one and different kinds of metals 50 years ago plastic and aluminum was so expensive and so was fuel injection yes it is expensive but a lot of companies use race tracks to test out a idea or a new product a lot of stuff that are on bikes today were tested years ago and made it to bikes of today this is not from the performance stand point a 1800 Goldwing weights almost 1000 pounds Honda has cut corners to keep weight down and to make it ride and run as good as it does.New standards for motorcycles are comming out every year as far as energy saving and such who knows Honda maybe comming out with Hybrid or a total electric motorcycle don't laugh a few years back a gas and electric car was just a dream now it is here and the sky is the limit because the government and the public are looking for cleaner and greener ways of getting around .Your advice is always welcome because don't let no one fool you people bikebuilders look on these sites for advice and I can grant you someone from Honda or other manufactures want to here what is happening if they don't they won't be in business for long.Have a safe and Blessed day everyone

Return to “Goldwing Chat”