Stranded biker

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Stranded biker

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:15 am

So I drove into the local Speedway yesterday to pick up a drink. It was pouring rain, and I saw a guy standing next to a Harley Sportster talking to another customer. The customer left, and the biker approached someone else. He was clearly distressed. I walked over and looked at the guy. He was wearing torn jeans, a black leather jacket, long scraggly hair with a bandana, a "teardrop" tattoo under his eye, a skull tattoo on the back of one hand. Not to judge, just to get an idea of who he was. I walked over and asked if he was OK.

He started rambling about how his wife was divorcing him, and had stolen the keys to his bike, and he was riding and the bike just quit on him, and now he's trying to get enough money to tow the bike to Western Reserve Harley - about 35 miles away. He was begging for money from people to help get the bike towed. I asked him if he was far from home, and he said he was from Pennsylvania, and just trying to get home.

I figured I might be able to help get the bike running and help the guy on his way, so I told him just that. I noticed that the seat was loose, and pulled it off - it had been broken. Looking inside, it was instantly apparent that the bike had been hotwired - the wires going to the ignition switch had been cut and crudely twisted together. I looked at the back, and noticed the bike had an Ohio tag, despite the fact that he claimed to be from Pennsylvania. I asked about the wires having been cut, and he said that he had called the Harley dealer, and they told him to do that, "so that he didn't fry his stator."

uh huh.

I went inside to the Speedway and asked one of the girls that works there (who I know) about him. She told me that he'd been there for about half an hour, and that someone had stolen his keys at the gas station across the street. A customer in line piped up and said, "he told me he had lost his keys down the sewer!"

I decided I didn't need to be a part of this whole situation. Just as I was leaving, a local police cruiser was pulling into the Speedway and heading for the guy. Obviously someone else had thought his story a bit suspicious as well, and gave them a call.

I will always go out of my way to help a fellow biker - even Harley riders - but I won't be taken advantage of.

Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: Stranded biker

Postby maestro319 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm

That's kinda scary, actually. Glad it all worked out.

Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing Interstate

Re: Stranded biker

Postby Wingrider63 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:12 pm

I applaud you for trying to help (initially) until the story started to stink. At that point I think I'd have 911'd him and let the cops sort it out. Did you ever find out if he got hooked up and hauled away?

Return to “Goldwing Chat”