Leaving?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
HadCancer
Motorcycle: Lost my 80 & 82 Goldwings
1999 Yamaha Venture

Leaving?

Postby HadCancer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:58 pm

I know I said I was leaving this web site as the person I was paying to restore my 1982 Goldwing did not restore it but ripped me off. Well I ended up buying a bike I probably should not have a 2010 Kaw. Nomad 1700. Unfortunately, I crashed it a couple of weeks ago, and is likely a total loss. I got it on e-bay for 11,005.00 and repair estimate is 10,023.00, of course I had to go to Provo Utah from Oregon to get it. Bike had 750 miles on it. Of course I broke a rib, but came through it alright as I was wearing my protection. I maybe getting a Goldwing yet. Although I will have to be a used one. I still owe 1500.00 on the Nomad. Also I have no health ins and I do not know yet if 5000.00 med pay will cover it, so I may need some of the bike money to pay for the hospital bill. Of course I will need a need Helmet too. I still have on my bucket list to go to one of the bike rallies. Of course I just had the after market back rest and LED lights installed. I sold my new backrest to the 82 wing I had to one of the members here. I have been to lazy to put the custom paint I got ( Ice Crystal Turquoise Pearl) on sale.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Leaving?

Postby dingdong » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:41 am

Man oh man! When it rains it pours. At least you are not seriously injured. Hope you manage to get through this and get the Wing.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 am

That's terrible news...but here's hoping 2012 brings you much better luck...and perhaps a new (to you) Wing. :) Glad to see you back!

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks, as you know Wings are expensivie. I have to get a fairly newer one as I only have Socicial Security to live on and shop in town will only work on newer ones, but if not a wing it will be a copy. either a Voyager, Electra and I am not sure if Yamaha even makes a wing clone. I do not know what I will have to spend but my guess is somewhere around 7000.00.

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:45 am

Well almost bought 90 Goldwing trike, but after agreeing on it I wanted to confirm some things as it was hundreds of miles from my house. The guy said I would have to replace the front turn signal light. I said how much could a light bulb cost. Then the guy say no you need the whole unit. I am looking at a picture and I can see the unit. He finally come clean that the photos he posted were pre accident photo's and it not had a salvage title . I ask for current pictures and he drops his price 500.00. At this point I tell him to forget it. Today I bought a 99 Yamaha Venture with 45000 and change miles. This one was also hundreds of miles away. Everything seemed to be OK when I bought it. On ride home I found out the cruise control would not engage. Lights would come on but no engagement. I stopped at daughters house halfway home to say hi to granddaughters as we were passing by there. There driveway is a real moneymaker to the local tow companies. I was dumb and tried there 340 degree turn into a very very steep driveway. I ended up dropping it. Stripped holder for side mirror, and then the battery died. Yikes, I remembered guy had bike on battery tender when I came up. I could not get to battery, I think it is under seat. Owners manual was worthless. Tool set did not have wrench that fit seat nut. I tried a jump on tender wire and got polarity wrong and fried tender wire. I think the bike wiring is OK. Ended up having bike towed to shop. what a lovely day.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 am

Ouch. Here's hoping things get better from here on out for you!

I've done the "jump through the tender wire" before as well - well, a "quick charge through the tender wire". I found a biker stranded on the side of the highway, and used my tender wire and some spare wire I carried with me to do a quick charge of her battery, get her started and on her way. However I blew the fuse in my tender wire in the process. Simple fix, it's just a blade fuse.

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Got call from shop today. They said it started right up for them. Battery is good. Now I wonder why I got the click click click thing. I must have lessened a connection somewhere when I dropped it and it got bounced back into place on the tow truck. They said nothing wrong with cruise control. I will have asked them what part I missed. I turned the cruise control switch on a green set light came on and I pressed the set switch but nothing would happen... I guess I will find out. They also said mirror is OK. It was twirling and I thought it had stripped the thread on the mirror when I dropped it. Go figure. They said only thing wrong with it was a broken lever (not sure what lever) and a new tender wire. Total cost 97.00. It appears the shop is honest and reasonable. I may make it my shop even though it is 3 hours away my daughter and grand-kids live there. I will just have to visit them more. I feel much better now. True it is not a Goldwing which is what i always wanted but I could not find anything in my price range in my area. All I could find were a lot of 78-83's or newer 1800's in the 15,000.00 range. The only thing I am not that happy about is the prior owner put an aftermarket performance exhaust and the bike sound like a Harley and like my totaled 2010 Nomad, which is to say it is very loud. Made listening to the stereo a pain. Guy I bought it from through in communication system for 2 helmets. I am hoping it will be sound better. Of course I do not think it will fit in my cheapo helmets I have. They had Shoei helmets, which are way expensive for some living on social security. My one best helmet which would accommodate the system Is one I had one when I totaled the Nomad. Oh well I will have to cruise e-bay for a used one..LOL
Rick.

wayne ian
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 2006 suzuki C50ct

Postby wayne ian » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 pm

A while back I had writen about the cost of insurance in Ont. Canada. I know now why I pay $1100 a yr and you pay as low as $78. Here a crash automatically gets new helmet. New 2010 bike gets full replacement value for two years. Health covers $50,000 plus rehab. Plus we have universal health care. It's not perfect but it's free. So that same crash for me would have me on new bike with new helmet,new outer wear and no hospital bills. Not trying to sound like a nob. Just showing the difference.

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:51 pm

Well I certainly pay more than 78.00, but your right no where close to 1100.00. I know the policy itself was pretty darn cheap except for the Med Pay. Now that I have had my very first accident. I am sure they will jack up the rates on renewal or cancel me out right. Maybe not though I do have 2 cars, 1 boat, one motorhome, and 2 motorcycles insured with them. If I paid 1100.00 for just one motorcycle, I could not afford insurance at all, and therefore I would have to sell everything. That would be even a bigger bummer. I think I will stay In USA..LOL

GreenDragon
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 GoldWing

Postby GreenDragon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Glad you are OK. I loved my Nomad 1500 and would still have it if my wife would have ridden on the back with me. The wing she offers to ride on with me.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

HyperPete
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki M109R
Brand new to me 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby HyperPete » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:40 am

Sorry to read of your troubles. Glad to hear you're ok. 2012 will bring you better luck, no doubt!
HadCancer wrote:Total cost 97.00. It appears the shop is honest and reasonable. I may make it my shop even though it is 3 hours away my daughter and grand-kids live there.

Good honest shops are hard to find. Sounds like this is a good one to support.
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:16 pm

HadCancer wrote:Well I certainly pay more than 78.00, but your right no where close to 1100.00. I know the policy itself was pretty darn cheap except for the Med Pay. Now that I have had my very first accident. I am sure they will jack up the rates on renewal or cancel me out right. Maybe not though I do have 2 cars, 1 boat, one motorhome, and 2 motorcycles insured with them. If I paid 1100.00 for just one motorcycle, I could not afford insurance at all, and therefore I would have to sell everything. That would be even a bigger bummer. I think I will stay In USA..LOL

Glad you didn't leave :D Keep ur chin up, things always look darkest before the dawn. as for my insurance, I pay $420. a year after I raised all the medical and have the replacement cost aggreed on at $4,000. Even put road side asst. on as well. It's ashame every state and country has to be so diff. on everything. Even if the bikes are identical :roll: But don't feel bad, I am coming back from major medical problems, to where I thought I would have to sell the bike for good. There is always a light at the end, we may not see it at first, but keep going the light will shine bright again!!!!
Rick
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

HadCancer
1999 Yamaha Venture

Postby HadCancer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:49 pm

I posted pictures in my gallery of the 2 Gold wing I owned and paid to have restored , and how I got them back. I ended selling both of them for 500.00 at a big loss. I also put picture of 2010 Kaw. Nomad which I totaled. I only got to put 700 miles on it. Since I could not afford a new bike anymore, I posted my latest bike a 99 Yamaha Venture. I got it in North Coast of Oregon and rode back to my house in the South East part of Oregon. It was a cold ride. I like the bike OK, except the cruise control is hard to get it to engage, and the prior owner put a different exhaust system on it so it sound like a Harley. I guess he did it for that and to increase the power. Since I ride alone, power is not an issue with me. It is hard to hear the sound system. The guy I bought it from gave me a pair of helmet earphones with microphones which plug into the stereo/CB. Since I have now replaced my helmet I will have to install them. Hopefully the noise issue will not be an issue anymore. Prior owner used it as communication system for him and his passenger. My wife will not ride with me so will end up following me in out 40' diesel pusher. I can talk to her with the CB, since the motorhome also has CB. It sure makes trips expensive though. I was happy to read in the manual that unlike the Nomad it will run on regular gas. Well that is one small savings. I still have the 2007 Honda Rebel, which I will use to get the mail and walk the dogs. Due to Lung Cancer and COPD and a bad heart I can not just walk the dogs. They get all excited anytime I put my helmet on.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”