Distinguished Attire

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
greatketch
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Distinguished Attire

Postby greatketch » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:52 am

Greeting Wingers,

Just curious to hear the opinions regarding the attire folks adorn while riding their GWs.

For example, it is very common to see folks of the HD world wear many pounds of leather upon their person. Do wingers do as well?

There may not be a right answer, but I suspect there may be enough commonality among the riders that one can surmise there is a preference of clothing and style.

I have seen wingers with jackets that are not leather, but of another fabric that offers protection from wind, moisture, and yet "breath."

How many of us have a jacket that displays the proud eagle on the back?

Have others noticed any preferences that enhance the GW look among riders?

Ride ride ride.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Distinguished Attire

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:13 pm

I have a Joe Rocket jacket that I absolutely love. Sadly I suspect next year will be its last year, as I've simply worn it out over the last ten or so years that I've had it. It is extremely adaptable - it is a ballistic nylon jacket, with armor in the shoulders, elbows and back. I can ride comfortably wearing only a T-shirt under it from about 50 degrees to 80 degrees. Above 80, the outer shell zips off leaving mesh and the armor behind (as shown in the picture below). This I have ridden (reasonably) comfortably in up to 100 degrees.

Below 50 degrees, it has a windproof and waterproof liner that zips into it, and below 40 degrees I'll add a sweatshirt over my T-shirt as well.

Also below 45 or so I have a "neck warmer" thing that is a cozy tube that you pull over your head, that covers your neck, and can be pulled up under your helmet strap to cover your chin as well if you like.

My Arai Profile helmet has a wind deflector that pulls out below the chin that helps in cooler weather as well.

I have a pair of Joe Rocket pants that match the jacket. They have knee and hip armor, and are also ballistic nylon. I wear them up to about 75 degrees. Below 45 degrees or so, I will zip in their windproof/waterproof liner, which really makes a big difference. Above 75 degrees I switch to a pair of Olympia mesh pants with armor in knees and hips. I'm wearing these in the picture below.

I have a lot of gloves, from a short pair of mesh gloves (with knuckle and palm armor - these are what I'm wearing in the picture) that I wear about 70 degrees and up to a straight leather glove that is around 60 degrees to 70 degrees. I've got a waterproof leather pair that I use for rain, and I have a pair of Gerbing heated gloves that's good (unheated) from 60 degrees down to around 45 or so, and heated below 45 degrees.

I have a cheap but fairly comfortable pair of waterproof BILT boots that I wear all the time in all weather, and I have a set of Gerbing heated insoles for them for when it's 45 or below.

I use the heated gear only on long highway trips, it's too much of a PITA for short around-town use.
Attachments

Wing10
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby Wing10 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:01 pm

I wear the GWRRA jacket (red and Black) that was for sale last year for $105 w/free shipping. I have nylon chaps, gloves and a pair of Harley boots (yikes! don't tell anyone)..The jacket is armored and the chaps are padded. In warm weather I shed the chaps and remove the liner from the jacket. Oh yea, I have two Shoei helmets one open face and one full face for cold weather.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:56 pm

That's my son on the back of the bike with me, by the way. Hard to tell, but he has a huge grin on his face. :D

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:53 am

I use leather. Chaps,heavy jacket, Harley boots and either gaunlet gloves or short gloves depending on temp. 3/4 helmet usually, modular full face for rain or cold weather. I will look at the mesh gear when I wear out the leather,its been 25 years for the chaps and they are still hanging in there. Leather cuts the wind very well , is OK for the cold but is a bit hard to take during heat waves. I always wear the gear, it saved my hide when I went down after hitting a deer on the hiway.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:14 am

Wranglers, long sleeve shirt and boots in summer. Leather jacket and whatever works to keep warm in winter. Don't own and don't want chaps.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

ogilly0753
Motorcycle: 2012 Honda Gold Wing GL1800

Postby ogilly0753 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:48 pm

We had the First Gear Rush Mesh jackets for the summer and the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket for the spring & fall with the OT overpants pants. They are the High-vis yellow. Since we have to buy new jackets for next year we will be looking at the First Gear Mesh Tex in High-vis yellow. I may even sale my Kilimanjaro for the new one. Has some features I like better. I have chaps but they are ok. The wife & i bought the Montana Lizard legs and we like them for cool/rainy weather. They are light and are compact for traveling. We do have rain gear as well. Boots I wear Carharts and use the Carhart work force rain gear pants with Tour Elite jacket in yellow. We have a varity of gloves for warm, cool and rainy weather. No particular brands. Helmets we just bought the Nolan N90 and that is a nice helmet. I found a UK helmet test program and Nolan's were rated high and maintained a 100% flip-up lock during testing. Our HJC IS-MAX only maintained a 40% lock rate. The Program is called S.H.A.R.P. (Safety Helmet Assesment and Report Program). Interesting info.
Retired USAF
OIF 2007
GWRRA member
ND Patriot Guard

wayne ian
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 2006 suzuki C50ct

Postby wayne ian » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:34 pm

The attire I see most from wing riders is golf shirts,shorts and flipflops. I am glad to read the members of this forum ride smart.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:15 pm

wayne ian wrote:The attire I see most from wing riders is golf shirts,shorts and flipflops. I am glad to read the members of this forum ride smart.

Me too. Generally those are the guys who haven't crashed and left a whole lot of skin behind on the road. While they're digging gravel out of your skin, it tends to reinforce in you your resolve to wear full gear from now on. :)

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:21 pm

I think this sums it up very nicely
Attachments
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

riffraff
Motorcycle: 1983GL1100 std

Postby riffraff » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:01 am

It all depends on the weather. Generally, leather jacket to the 70's. Below 50, armored textile with layers and leather chaps along with knee high leather boots. Helmets also according to temp and conditions. As the mercury rises, sadly the helmet shrinks. But if you're not comfy the rides not enjoyable. That's just my take. ;)

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Being as I can't ride right now, I have been reading all of the previous posts. Started with page 80 and this is from page 50. It may be old but is still very relevent. I have seen those riding with sleeveless shirts, shorts, flip flops, and no helmet. Bet some of those young girls and boys would be real proud of the scars that they would get from just one split second sliding on the asphalt. I am so glad that I had my gear on, as I came out with very minor injuries. It could have been way worse than it was.

By the way, there are some very interesting posts on these postings. Especially the fellow on the 5 month trip to Alaska and return.
' I hope this brings it back to the top.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Hmmmm, for me...

Winter - Tourmaster jacket and pants (it is the set that zips together with the internal linings, etc.). Right now I wear a set of large snow gloves with leather on the palms, still my hands get wet sometimes.

Spring/Summer/Fall - (when warm enough not to wear the Tourmaster jacket) I wear a tye dye hoodie with a leather vest over, and leather chaps, also mesh leather gloves.

Yes yes, there is still some leather in me from all my old vtwin riding days, just can not stop it, but the chaps are easy to fold up flat, and so is vest, so I can wear different things depending on the cold/warm/wet of the weather.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:44 am

I do have a Goldwing Mesh Jacket,but if it's cold I still wear a leather jacket and chaps.Bike boots always.Can't stand riding with gloves ,so they only get used when it's absolutely neccessary.Less now with heated grips.1/2 helmet always.I've left home when the bike was covered in frost and the half helmet was fine.The weather is cold and wet I stay home.Don't mind cold and don't mind wet,but not at the same time.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:24 am

I have both. I have a ballistic nylon armored jacket and pants (Joe Rocket) for Honda, with the Goldwing name and logo on the back of the jacket, and I have leather jacket and chaps and pants, also Joe Rocket for Honda with the vulture symbol on the back of the jacket and also armored. I have short, armored gloves and long armored gauntlets. Depending on weather and activity, I wear one or the other or a mix of all of the above, and a helmet. Long trips is always the leather, as I have been down before, and even with leather on, I lost some hide, and tore up the leathers I was wearing at the time. Leather is a lot tougher than skin or even the ballistic nylon, but leather without armor can still be torn up and penetrated by road surface and road dirt. Be advised that split grain leather does not meet these requirements. Only full grained leather will withstand pavement slide. The goldwing logos just happened to be available so when I got the gear, I got the gear with the logos. No extra cost for the embroidery. I do not plan on sliding down the road again, but I do prepare for it. I wear TCX riding boots on the Goldwing because it is easier to manipulate the shift lever with them than with thick soled steel toed engineer boots. I believe in ATGATT (All the gear, all the time) and wish I could say that I conform to it at all times, but I don't. Sometimes around home, I just wear one of the jackets, gloves, boots and helmet, with blue jeans (which ain't no substitute for leather) but I just ain't a perfect person and this ain't a perfect world. If I were and it was, then I could ride in T-shirt, shorts and peter pan go fasters and not worry about picking grit outta my lilly white.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:31 am

My riding attire is more geared to comfort level than protection.Not that I want road rash,I just don't dwell on the possibility as much as some.I'm also picky about where I ride.Yes I know it can happen anywhere,but you can signifigantly lower the chances of it happening choosing where you ride.I would never be comfortable in shorts and flip flops so that will never happen anyway,but I'd be just as uncomfortable with a fullface helmet and armoured from top to bottom.If it ever gets to the point that I have ride like that the Wing will probably be for sale and my boat will get a lot more use.If you are an ATTGATT person than that's awesome,just not for me.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:36 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:My riding attire is more geared to comfort level than protection.Not that I want road rash,I just don't dwell on the possibility as much as some.I'm also picky about where I ride.Yes I know it can happen anywhere,but you can signifigantly lower the chances of it happening choosing where you ride.I would never be comfortable in shorts and flip flops so that will never happen anyway,but I'd be just as uncomfortable with a fullface helmet and armoured from top to bottom.If it ever gets to the point that I have ride like that the Wing will probably be for sale and my boat will get a lot more use.If you are an ATGATT person than that's awesome,just not for me.

BTW I have gone down and had a bit of roadrash on my face(cager t-boned my 1200 and wrote it off) and I still don't care to wear ATGATT.Actually had a spot on my forehead the size of a quarter showing bare bone.Lots of stitches on the forehead and around my right eye.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:49 am

I think the most versatile riding gear you can purchase is a set of armoured mesh pants/jacket with removable rain/wind/thermal liners and a heated jacket liner for 3 1/2 - 4 season riding comfort/protection.
I have ridden in temps from 115 down to sub freezing temps in elevations ranging from below seal level (Death Valley) to over 12,000' and remained quite comfortable.

I have 3 sets of riding gear (full leathers, full textile and full mesh) and wish I had bought the mesh gear 1st to save the money I spent on the other stuff which can best be described as 'seasonal'.
I use the TourMaster Draft Air 2 jacket and TourMaster Venture Air pants and have been very happy with their performance/value.
I'll wear a pair of gym shorts, or convertible hiking pant shorts under the Venture's during the hotter parts of the year and regular pants with the wind/waterproof liner installed when things get cooler.
With the jacket, a tank top/SS T works well underneath when hot and then start layering up to suit conditions.

Dusty

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:21 pm

I have a leather jacket and chaps, don't wear the chaps much and I wear the jacket and a full face helmet most of the time. I wear gloves all the time. I have worn shorts and a T-shirt but NEVER flip flops, but I want to be comfortable when it's sooo hot! being an ATTGATT person is just not for me, though I try to wear gear a lot.
I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:23 am

Talking with my insurance man after the accident, and found out that in the state of Florida, it is illegal to drive anything while wearing flip flops. I got scuffed up shoes / boots, but see many with F/Fs.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:41 pm

I guess I'm still in the "transition" period since I got the 'Wing. I haven't worn my chaps in years. I keep a pair of Carhartt bib overalls always on the bike. They are easier to get on and off than the chaps and are quite comfy when it's cool. If it's going to get really really REALLY cold, like know to 40, I put on some poly/insulates and the Carhartts. I always wear a long sleeve T-shirt. If it's cool, I put on a Carhartt long sleeve shirt over the T. I bought a Tourmaster jacket, but I really don't care for it most of the time. When it's cold I put it on, but it's just too damned complicated. I have to find the zipper for the insulated part and fight that little part of the material that always wants to stick in the zipper. Then getting the jacket zipper located over this belly and zipping it up is just a hassle. It is a great jacket that does what it is designed to do, but too complicated, too "busy". And, it is heavier than I would have thought. I always wear my Magnum High-Tech boots. I recently bought a Nolan N43 Trilogy helmet with N-Com and I adjusted to it a lot easier than I thought. The only thing I don't like about the helmet is the "turbulence noise" around the outside of the helmet. I raised the windshield up as far as it would go and it helped a lot, but did not completely stop the turbulence. My wife said the new helmet also directed the wind directly into her face. Raising the windshield help a lot there as well. I'm going to post an new question on the forums, but I'll put it out here as well. The F-4 windshield seems to have a loyal following. They advertise a F-4 plus 4, which I believe is four inches higher than the factory Goldwing windshield. Is that four inches higher when the factory windshield is down, or up. If it is four inches taller than the "up" position, it may very well solve my turbulence problems. Ride Safe!

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:04 am

Tweed! And of course a pair of stout brogues.
Attachments
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 am

We do have a local Patriot Guard Rider member who ALWAYS wears a shirt and tie to EVERY mission. Boots, jeans, vest and long sleeve shirt with tie. He is definitely more civilized than the rest of us. And a good guy, to boot.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:10 am

I feel totally out of place now. My normal wear from 60 degree is shorts, tanktop sneakers, along with a half helmet. From 30-60 degree I wear a First Gear riding suit and it gets so hot only shorts and a T-shirt are worn under. Maybe it has something to do with that tall shield and my short stature, but I'm very well shielded.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:11 am

I don't think half helmets are very safe -
Attachments

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”