trailer hitch opinions


Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
mr.ngs
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Friendswood, Texas
Motorcycle: 84 Aspencade
78 550 Four

trailer hitch opinions

Postby mr.ngs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:42 pm



Can anyone recommend a trailer hitch for my 1200? I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible. I've been also thinking of engineering a custom trailer with a car cargo carrier.

Opinions please.



User avatar
vtxcandyred
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:52 am

mr.ngs wrote:Can anyone recommend a trailer hitch for my 1200? I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible. I've been also thinking of engineering a custom trailer with a car cargo carrier.

Opinions please.

When I had my 85 Aspy I put a Markland hitch on and it worked like a champ.
Attachments

User avatar
RoadRogue
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Castlegar BC, Canada
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:20 am

+1 on the markland with a simple 1 7/8" ball. I can lay the bike over to the engine guards and the trailer stays flat on the road. Never had any problems with it.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

User avatar
vtxcandyred
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby vtxcandyred » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:36 am

RoadRogue wrote:+1 on the markland with a simple 1 7/8" ball. I can lay the bike over to the engine guards and the trailer stays flat on the road. Never had any problems with it.

I have the same hitch on my 93 SE and went over a seventy foot embankment and the trailer stayed right with it. It was still on when me and the wrecker driver climbed down to unhook it and winch the trailer and the bike out.
Attachments

User avatar
mr.ngs
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Friendswood, Texas
Motorcycle: 84 Aspencade
78 550 Four

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby mr.ngs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:10 am

Very good, well that''s 3 for markland. I'll look it up.

User avatar
mr.ngs
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Friendswood, Texas
Motorcycle: 84 Aspencade
78 550 Four

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby mr.ngs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 am

vtxcandyred wrote:
mr.ngs wrote:Can anyone recommend a trailer hitch for my 1200? I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible. I've been also thinking of engineering a custom trailer with a car cargo carrier.

Opinions please.

When I had my 85 Aspy I put a Markland hitch on and it worked like a champ.


that's clean, and solid looking for sure. nice chrome too.

User avatar
mr.ngs
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Friendswood, Texas
Motorcycle: 84 Aspencade
78 550 Four

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby mr.ngs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:23 am

vtxcandyred wrote:
RoadRogue wrote:+1 on the markland with a simple 1 7/8" ball. I can lay the bike over to the engine guards and the trailer stays flat on the road. Never had any problems with it.

I have the same hitch on my 93 SE and went over a seventy foot embankment and the trailer stayed right with it. It was still on when me and the wrecker driver climbed down to unhook it and winch the trailer and the bike out.


Damn dude! What the hell happened?

On another note, it's funny to comment about your trailer in this pic, but that's the style that I want to create. Looks like an atv trailer converted into a bike trailer with a sears car carrier attached. Do you have any words of wisdom concerning that thing.

User avatar
mr.ngs
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Friendswood, Texas
Motorcycle: 84 Aspencade
78 550 Four

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby mr.ngs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:44 pm

vtxcandyred wrote:
RoadRogue wrote:+1 on the markland with a simple 1 7/8" ball. I can lay the bike over to the engine guards and the trailer stays flat on the road. Never had any problems with it.

I have the same hitch on my 93 SE and went over a seventy foot embankment and the trailer stayed right with it. It was still on when me and the wrecker driver climbed down to unhook it and winch the trailer and the bike out.


Nevermind. I saw elsewhere how you made the trailer. Sweet.

DennisDiver1
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Yakima.Wa
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing 1500 Aspencade

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby DennisDiver1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:23 pm

I pull a small trailer with my 93 goldwing,carry camp gear, scuba stuff ice chest ect. Some times it get a little heavy, I have a simple ball hitch and reciever just like on a pick up but smaller works great, just remember most of these trailers do not have brakes! On gravel or slick road they can some times push you around when trying to stop quickly. So Be careful out on the open rd.
Dennis

User avatar
mr.ngs
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 pm
Location: Friendswood, Texas
Motorcycle: 84 Aspencade
78 550 Four

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby mr.ngs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:31 pm

DennisDiver1 wrote:I pull a small trailer with my 93 goldwing,carry camp gear, scuba stuff ice chest ect. Some times it get a little heavy, I have a simple ball hitch and reciever just like on a pick up but smaller works great, just remember most of these trailers do not have brakes! On gravel or slick road they can some times push you around when trying to stop quickly. So Be careful out on the open rd.
Dennis


Oh, yeah. For sure. I'll be more than careful.

Paradise97401
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:47 am
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Interstate

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby Paradise97401 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Just another hitch..this is one I made for my 1200
Trailer Hitch
Trailer Hitch
Trailer hitch top
Trailer hitch top


And a photo of my trailer, I have since added a bigger cooler and a rack to hold a porta shade on it

User avatar
vtxcandyred
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby vtxcandyred » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:09 pm

mr.ngs wrote:
vtxcandyred wrote:
RoadRogue wrote:+1 on the markland with a simple 1 7/8" ball. I can lay the bike over to the engine guards and the trailer stays flat on the road. Never had any problems with it.

I have the same hitch on my 93 SE and went over a seventy foot embankment and the trailer stayed right with it. It was still on when me and the wrecker driver climbed down to unhook it and winch the trailer and the bike out.


Damn dude! What the hell happened?

On another note, it's funny to comment about your trailer in this pic, but that's the style that I want to create. Looks like an atv trailer converted into a bike trailer with a sears car carrier attached. Do you have any words of wisdom concerning that thing.

Starting up an extremely sloped gravel road in the wrong gear. Tried to downshift, dumb thing to do, and lost traction and over she went. As the bike was breaking the edge of the embankment I told the wife we had to bail and I rolled to my right and grabbed her and took her with me. When we stopped we were in sand to our knees and the trailer was right next to us. I pushed her up to the road surface and said we needed to get away fron the bike, not knowing what might happen next. The bike stopped upright against a small tree about as big around as my forearm.

Paradise97401
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:47 am
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Motorcycle: 1985 Goldwing Interstate

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby Paradise97401 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:41 pm

This where I got the information to do mine..and I had an old trailer to use as a doner...

http://nomad.eurekaboy.com/mctrailer.htm

And you can email him with questions, he is pretty good at getting back to you

User avatar
firstwing85
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:33 am
Location: Aldergrove BC Canada
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Re: trailer hitch opinions

Postby firstwing85 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:46 am

I also have the Markland hitch on my bike too.
it's very solid and love it..


Johan


Return to “Camping and Trailers”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests