rear tire

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
inkman
Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

rear tire

Postby inkman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:32 pm

2,000 miles on rear tire . got a small hole in tire so i plugged it. want input on should keep tire or buy new one again.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: rear tire

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:50 pm

A plugged tire is better than one with a hole in it.

I was in the same situation and ended up having to plug a tire. I rode on it for about another 6000 miles and then had it changed out. We were going on a trip to Yellowstone with a group and I didn't want to risk the tire as it had started to leak around the plug.

In the end it's the only ting between you and the road. I researched the same question and you'll get those who will and those who won''t and in the end you have to go with what you feel is the best.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 pm

I would ride on a plugged tire as far as I needed to ride to replace it with a new one - i.e. most likely, I'd ride it home, then park the bike until I got a new tire.

I would (and have) driven my cars/trucks with plugged tires, but the severity of a car/truck tire going flat at highway speed is nowhere near as bad. Having your front tire go flat at highway speed virtually guarantees you're going to get hurt. I don't need to save money that much.

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:36 am

I agree with the wingadmin on this one, only because if I had a plugged tire it would be in the back of my mind all the time I was riding. I get anal about those kind off things, so like to keep the clutter in my small brain cleaned up. The fewer distractions the better.
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Bogator
Motorcycle: 1998 valkyrie

Postby Bogator » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 am

Go darkside----------------------------I will not run a pluged tire long----------I love me---------the end------- :roll:
GOD BLESS

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 pm

How bout getting the tire professionally patched on the inside? Not much weight to cause an out of balance condition, and a vulcanized patch should be pretty safe and permanent if it really is only a tiny hole.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Steve F
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda CB750F Cafe' (sold :>( )
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:01 pm

themainviking wrote:How bout getting the tire professionally patched on the inside? Not much weight to cause an out of balance condition, and a vulcanized patch should be pretty safe and permanent if it really is only a tiny hole.

I agree. I ran with a plug for quite some time, and it started to leak. I eventually replaced the tires since they were old, hard and the front was cupping. If the tire still has plenty of tread, and not dried out, I will have it patched on the inside.
Not everyone knows this, but if you but a truck tire that has been capped, they consistently patch any punctures and continue on with the vulcanizing, and can sell it. Granted, it's not a MT, but it's a safe practice.
"To ride is the reason, the destination the excuse."

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:02 pm

themainviking wrote:How bout getting the tire professionally patched on the inside? Not much weight to cause an out of balance condition, and a vulcanized patch should be pretty safe and permanent if it really is only a tiny hole.

I tired that. Nobody would do it. Liability issues and the fact that they want to sell you a new tire.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Patch it yourself. It's a piece of cake, I just have to get someone to remove and install the tire.
Everyone cries "liability" but if you do the patch, you're good to go.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 am

You could try these mushroom plugs. I have never used them but I know guys who have.

https://www.denniskirk.com/282206.sku?u ... medium=cse
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

inkman
Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

Postby inkman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:40 pm

thanks for the input. i will change the tire this winter did not feel comfortable riding very far from home with it like this anyway , just wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

Steve F
'03 GL1800

Postby Steve F » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:06 pm

You know, to me it seems that too many folks are worried about a MC tire failing after getting a puncture like from a screw or nail. That's probably the smallest injury a tire will ever encounter and is easily and SAFELY fixed without ever having to worry about the tire failing. On the other hand, if yout tire sustains a cut or cord damage from riding over something large, then a replacement is in order. Don't sweat the nail punctures, but I do recommend the inside patch over the plug. That being said, I carry a plug kit and a small 12v compressor with me when I'm traveling more than a few hours from home.

rono24
Motorcycle: 1992 gl1500SE

Postby rono24 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:13 am

I rode to sturgis and all over SD with 2 plugs in the front and 1 in the rear tire, rode over 4 thousand miles before replaceing both

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:40 am

rono24 wrote:I rode to sturgis and all over SD with 2 plugs in the front and 1 in the rear tire, rode over 4 thousand miles before replaceing both

Kind of like Russian roulette with three rounds in the cylinder. :o :lol:
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby harkgold » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

You know guys....he's talking rear tire here. I agree with all that has been said about the necessity of patches etc. A blow out on the front tire is especially dangerous and I would not take a chance on just a plugged front tire. However, on rear tires I have plugged several over the years, have had no leaks, and felt a high level of confidence in the tire. I was also careful in making sure the tire was replaced when normal tread wear indicated that it needed to be.
When you think about how a properly installed plug is shaped; if it is well slathered with adhesive and pushed into place properly with the looped end going head first into the tire you are basically creating a tapered plug anyway that is much larger on the inside of the tire than the trimmed off remains on the outside. And if left to cure properly overnight before using the bike you create a darn solid seal. A friend of mine has been in the motorcycle shop business for over 40 years and says he has never witnessed an incident where a plug was actually blown out of its hole causing a blow out. Possibly a slow leak that can be lived with, but never a blow out.
However, that being said I would still at minimum plug and patch a front tire.

My 2 Cents worth.

Harkgold

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm

CHANGE IT..... Sally :roll:

HyperPete
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki M109R
Brand new to me 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby HyperPete » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:56 pm

I've ridden 6,000+ miles on my M109R with a plugged back tire with no problems. This topic came up on the M109R site and I asked "Do you have 1st hand knowledge of anyone that has ever had a plug fail?" Lot's of folks say they have "heard stories", but only 2 said they had a plug fail. Both of these were very large holes in the tires, not a simple nail or screw hole.

My personal take on this is that if the hole is small, and it's in the center of the rear tire, then I'll ride the plugged tire with no worries. It's unusual for a front tire to pick up nails/screws, and if mine did I might feel differently about it, but I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Even if a plug "fails", the most likely failure will be a slow leak. Check your pressure regularly and you'll be fine. But if the cost of a tire and mounting is not a big deal to you, and you feel uncomfortable with a plug, by all means replace the tire.
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby harkgold » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:09 pm

I agree Hyperpete.

I should have qualified my case by stating that the plugged hole on my rear tire was created by a small screw and it was dead center of the tire face. The tire didn't actually go flat and in fact hadn't even lost any air. I just discovered the screw when I was doing a pre-ride inspection and funny thing....the tire pressure was right on.

Harkgold

Return to “Goldwing Chat”