Sturgis 2012

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Sturgis 2012

Postby heidebill » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:33 am

I am planning on attending Sturgis 2012, does anyone have any sugestions or tips, What to bring, Where to camp/.park, Which days to go??
Planning on riding the Dakota's and then to Yellowstone
Thanks Bill

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Sturgis 2012

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:03 am

Well, you ain't likely staying in a motel, as they will all be booked by now. You cannot get hold of the campgrounds as they will all be closed for the season, but if you google them and try their phone numbers, you may find one with space if you keep calling from now till April or so, when they open again. Days you should go - if you are not going for the party, then anytime from the first day on if you want to see what is going on, and towards the end if you want better vendor pricing. Every time I ever went (thirteen times, back in the 70s and 80s - last time in 1990) I went for the whole seven days, but in 1990 it went to ten. May still be ten now. Buffalo Chip was the happening place back then, but they were always jammed to the fences and nobody sleeps in Buffalo Chip campground. Sturgis is a small (pop: 5800) town that in 1990 expanded to 520,000 during the ten days of the event. Finding a place to stay, unless you are part of a steady group, can be really tough. Might find someplace around Rapid City, but it started to jam up pretty good in later years. If you don't mind riding in each day, you could start by looking from fifty to a hundred miles in every direction. Forget Deadwood tho... It is jammed up too.

Good luck and have a great time... I always did.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Return to “Goldwing Chat”