Greeting other riders on the road

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
1CheeseLouise
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Greeting other riders on the road

Postby 1CheeseLouise » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Here in South Florida, Palm Beach County, riders greet each other with a left had V-sign extended out or down. Is this universal? Or is it only done in the USA or just Florida? Seems that no one greets scooter riders. If the others guys motorcycle is too small, should he also get a greeting? Maybe ignore 250cc and under? Or perhaps, riding a 900+ #, 1800 cc behemoth, one should ignore tiny bikes under 900 cc ? Or, is the V-sign only for V-twins and Goldwingers should hold out 6 fingers! Or perhaps a left hand and left foot?
And what's with helmets? Am I the only rider in Florida who still wears one? I tried riding with a schmatah on my head, a hat, a cap. They all blow away and I end up going back to pick them off of the road way. And at my age, I am too old to bend over to pick up something. I have to catch it with my foot as I ride by. These helmet-less people KNOW they will not fall on their heads. Possibly, because their mothers drank heavily when pregnant so as babies they were SO CUTE with those wide apart eyes. Too cute to fall! But I like a helmet for flying debris protection. You know, stick and stones, bugs and sand, and spat bubble gum.
With the windshield in the lowest position, I can see over the plastic. But at freeway speed, my helmet gets noisy from the wind. But If I raise the windshield to stop the noise, I can no longer see above the shield and in the rain, I wish I had windshield wipers! I try using my glove but it is never as good. My owners manual warns against using products like rain-x, claiming that will damage the plastic. What's a biker to do!?!?
Finally, don't we all miss Andy Rooney?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Greeting other riders on the road

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:34 pm

I wave to scooter riders. :)

Try unscented Pledge on your windshield. It cleans well, and leaves a bit of an oil coating behind that sheds rain pretty well.

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:29 pm

i see more people waving at me when i ride my 450 nighthawk than any of my other bikes
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

bwheat
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Postby bwheat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:20 pm

I don't think the V sign is exclusive to Florida, or we have Florida riders here in New Mexico. Around here its either V signs, or two fingers together, or a low open hand down by the thigh to keep low center of gravity. Silly at it may seem, I will only greet a scooter if he goes first. I won't deny him/her a response, but I wait for them to make the first move. Silly, I know, but they are not really motorcycles; not the same. But I wouldn't argue the point, either. In the summer, especially with crotch rockets, I also wait for them to go first as many around here are too interested in flying by without waving- or are they just concentrating to stay alive as they break the sound barrier? But all the other bikers, especially in the winter, I will initiate a greeting regularly. But here it may even be just a nod, especially in a turn, and not primarily a V-sign up or down. Long as its not a middle finger, anything else is cool.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 am

Waving is almost universal, so is the tendency for some riders to never wave back,doesnt seem to matter where you are. Ive seen one finger pointing down (picking thier spot where the next part will fall off?) 2 fingers together/apart/up or down. 3 fingers up in a "W" for Wing? 4 and 5 fingers up .

I usually wave at anybody who waves at me unless Im too busy with clutch or traffic, I will even wave to bicycles. If they wave back ,cool. If not who cares. I wave because I want to , Im not keeping score. If you dont wave to me,its not going to ruin my day.
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:58 am

RoadRogue wrote:Waving is almost universal, so is the tendency for some riders to never wave back,doesnt seem to matter where you are. Ive seen one finger pointing down (picking thier spot where the next part will fall off?) 2 fingers together/apart/up or down. 3 fingers up in a "W" for Wing? 4 and 5 fingers up .

I usually wave at anybody who waves at me unless Im too busy with clutch or traffic, I will even wave to bicycles. If they wave back ,cool. If not who cares. I wave because I want to , Im not keeping score. If you dont wave to me,its not going to ruin my day.

Yeah - like that.....
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:11 am

I usually greet all bikers with an open palm down with my index and middle finger together. I've seen many "new" riders who just ride on by with no acknowledgement what-so-ever, guess they haven't learned to be courteous. As for scooter riders, there's a mobile home park just up the road from me with several regulars that even ride in a group sometimes and I figure what the hell they are at risk just like the rest of us and greet them when I see them.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:36 pm

As a rule of thumb on windshields, it should be set about two inches below your eye level.That way it will keep the rain off you,and you should be able to see over it and not through it. Any way thats the way I have always had mine set.
And by the way, I wave to every one,and most wave back....

WA9FWT Phil

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 pm

The answer to the wave:

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

jazzrider
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby jazzrider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 pm

A little costly but plexus can't be beat on windshields, helps with the tiny scratches also. Use micro-fiber towels only (no paper of any kind) Wave to everyone, never know when that person may have to assist you further down the road.

1CheeseLouise

Postby 1CheeseLouise » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 pm

So, those harley riders aren't greeting me after all they are just "(picking thier spot where the next part will fall off?)"!!!!!!!
I WILL need that handy extra hand from Frank. He's not just for forking anymore!
But the rest of you, what happened to your sense of HUMOR?? Was it just one scent and it stank? Did you loose your census? The only think humorous about some of you is your elbow! Like your dog's favorite bone. It's in your arm. And I mean that in a nice way. Happy New Year. :mrgreen:

wpiken
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A

Postby wpiken » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:45 pm

I wave at everyone, especially scooters! The first time I saw someone do the "two fingers down" I thought he was pointing at the road. Then the next guy I met did the same thing; and the next and the next... I was developing a complex; Then it dawned on me: It's some sort of cool biker wave thing. So the next bike I met, I tried it. The wind caught my arm and it flew back like I had grabbed the front bumper of an oncoming car; I almost lost my left glove and the bike weaved all over the road. Now I do sort of a "parade wave" above the left grip, or the palm forward finger "bye bye" wave. (I don't try to hard to be cool anymore) :geek:
Riding in the rain sucks. So does helmet noise. I like my windshield high and wide. I own 2 bikes without windshields. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy.
And Andy Rooney was kind of a grumpy ol' coot, don't ya think? :D

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:10 am

I waved at a little boy riding a tricycle in diapers the other day, does that count ? I was a little upset he didn't wave back, that little she-it....I hate that when it happens... :lol: :shock: :shock:

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:07 am

On the European mainland the two finger wave is the norm, I always understood it to mean peace. In the UK two fingers in a V can have a very different (and unpleasant) meaning and so a general wave is generally used. Because we ride on the left in UK, waving takes your right hand of the throttle so it isn't always practical to wave, so a simple nod of the head is often used.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

1CheeseLouise

Postby 1CheeseLouise » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 am

I've been told that the "Two Finger Salute" in England, is equivalent to the middle finger salute in America. FU

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am

1CheeseLouise wrote:I've been told that the "Two Finger Salute" in England, is equivalent to the middle finger salute in America. FU

The romantic origin is that in medieval times, English bowmen were much feared and so when captured by the French, with whom we were continually at war, their captors would remove the index and middle fingers thus making the use of a bow impossible for the unfortunate soldiers. So in the run up to a battle, the English, who still had their fingers intact, would wave these at their French counterparts to indicate that they were still capable of using their long bows. Thus the V sign became a general insult. It means "go away" using a four letter anglo-saxon word! I suspect the story is manufactured, but still worth the telling.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:41 am

1CheeseLouise wrote:Here in South Florida, Palm Beach County, riders greet each other with a left had V-sign extended out or down. Is this universal? Or is it only done in the USA or just Florida? Seems that no one greets scooter riders. If the others guys motorcycle is too small, should he also get a greeting? Maybe ignore 250cc and under? Or perhaps, riding a 900+ #, 1800 cc behemoth, one should ignore tiny bikes under 900 cc ? Or, is the V-sign only for V-twins and Goldwingers should hold out 6 fingers! Or perhaps a left hand and left foot?
And what's with helmets? Am I the only rider in Florida who still wears one? I tried riding with a schmatah on my head, a hat, a cap. They all blow away and I end up going back to pick them off of the road way. And at my age, I am too old to bend over to pick up something. I have to catch it with my foot as I ride by. These helmet-less people KNOW they will not fall on their heads. Possibly, because their mothers drank heavily when pregnant so as babies they were SO CUTE with those wide apart eyes. Too cute to fall! But I like a helmet for flying debris protection. You know, stick and stones, bugs and sand, and spat bubble gum.
With the windshield in the lowest position, I can see over the plastic. But at freeway speed, my helmet gets noisy from the wind. But If I raise the windshield to stop the noise, I can no longer see above the shield and in the rain, I wish I had windshield wipers! I try using my glove but it is never as good. My owners manual warns against using products like rain-x, claiming that will damage the plastic. What's a biker to do!?!?
Finally, don't we all miss Andy Rooney?

hey cheeselouise. I wave to everyone, no matter what there riding. its a sign of courtesy. as for your windshield and riding in the rain, take a look at this.........www.roaddogwiper.com and let me know what you think. you can go to your local Honda dealer and get a spray can of windshield cleaner/polisher. its under 10 bucks a can and it works great. not only can you use it to clean your windshield, but you can use it to polish anything on your bike, ie: plastic, chrome, but don't use it on your handgrips or your seat.
stuart.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:43 am

roadwanderer2 wrote:hey cheeselouise. I wave to everyone, no matter what there riding. its a sign of courtesy. as for your windshield and riding in the rain, take a look at this.........www.roaddogwiper.com and let me know what you think. you can go to your local Honda dealer and get a spray can of windshield cleaner/polisher. its under 10 bucks a can and it works great. not only can you use it to clean your windshield, but you can use it to polish anything on your bike, ie: plastic, chrome, but don't use it on your handgrips or your seat.
stuart.

I use this stuff for everything! You can get it on Amazon.com as well: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Spray-C ... ingdocs-20

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:48 pm

LOL, that's exactly what I use 8-)

stuart.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”