Trailer Buyers Beware

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
06blackwing
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Goldwing

Trailer Buyers Beware

Postby 06blackwing » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:47 pm

If your in the market for a pull behind trailer for your Goldwing stay away from a company called America's Best Trailers/Aluma Lite Trailers in Greenville, SC. I purchased a trailer from him in March of 2011 and still trying to get a title that the State of Pennsylvania will accept to register. He has seen me three vin numbers and three separate Certificate of Origins that have been rejected from PA and he still don't get it right. I am not in the process of filing legal proceedings with my local State Represenative's office and the PA Attorney General's office to get a full refund and send him his trailer back at his expense. In addition to the title problems when it was shipped to my residence the lid was damaged, he then sent me a new one which was also scratched and dented, The trailer has aluminum deckplate on it and it all has scratches as well. Very displeased with quality and his lack of concern to correct the title problem. Would not recommend this dealer to anyone.

06blackwing
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800 Goldwing

Re: Trailer Buyers Beware

Postby 06blackwing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Just in case anyone was wondering about my trailer situation. It has been over a year now and still no title has been issued by the State of PA due to the incorrect Certificate of Origin being sent by America's Best Trailers in Greenville, SC by Jason the owner. He has been advised repeatedly by a PA State notary, the Office of my State Represenative, and by the Attorney General's Office for PA what he needs to send to be accepted by the department of Transportation in order for me to get a title. His ignorance and lack of concern has my brand new trailer setting in my garage useless without a title. I have contacted the BBB and the PA State Attorney General's Office and they have been unable to assist me in reaching a resolution to the problem. Altogether I have paid the State of PA sales tax plus notary fees twice and still no title. I have asked for a refund, but America's Best won't pay to have it shipped back and I already paid shipping to get it to PA once before. So here I am with a trailer and no title. If your looking for a trailer and your from PA I advise you to look someplace other that Greenville, SC to avoid any problems, and I have read other complaints about America's Best on other issues as well. Just check the SC BBB and see for your self how many complaints have been filed against them.

nepadj
Motorcycle: 2012 gl1800

Postby nepadj » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:14 pm

THANK YOU for telling your story! We live in PA & was just about to order a trailer from America's Best Trailers, UNTIL I read your story. Then I started researching them, WOW!!! They have ALOT of complaints and an "F" rating with the BBB in SC. I sincerely appreciate your post, because it probably saved ME from a MAJOR HEADACHE!

BTW, I had called ABT and left a voicemail for "Jason" that I was interested in buying a trailer, about one hour BEFORE I had read your post. It took him a week to call me, so if that's any indication of how they do business, it's certainly not good. I know if it were me and someone called looking to buy MY product, I'd be on the phone with them ASAP!

I had contacted another trailer company; "Open Road Outfitters" (they sell California Sidecar Trailers). I shot them an e-mail and was called back WITHIN an hour! They may be more expensive, but they have an "A" rating with ZERO complaints! The old story is true: IF it sounds too good to be true, it usually is! (There's an obvious reason why they(ABT) are "giving" you so much stuff with the sale...
Again, thanks for your post, I sincerely hope you are able to get some relief, & if it were me, I would have taken them to court, and inconvenience THEM!!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 am

Jason is a different sort of person who marches to his own music, for sure. I am really sorry you got all these problems, because most people don't have them. I do not know what all the complaints to the BBB in South Carolina are about, and I don't really care. We dealt with Jason for three hitches and three trailers, shipped into Niagara Falls New York, and then we brokered them across the border ourselves. We never had one problem except that one hitch was missing the hardware to put it together, and Jason sent me all the stuff by Air, right to my Canadian Address, even though we had the trailers sent to a U.S. one. Jason sells an awful lot of trailers, and hitches, so some deals are bound to go badly. As I said above, I am sorry your's was one of them.

Oh, and Aluma Lite has nothing to do with America's Best Trailers, and are not even in the same region of the country. They do make a trailer similar to the one Jason makes. Another choice if you are looking for a trailer that resembles these is one from Micro Lite Trailers. I have one of these also, and I like it for the size. I have the MojoXL. I still prefer Jasons trailer for looks and water tightness, although all of the trailers mentioned here sweat inside when the temperatures drop from hot to cool.

I wish you luck on getting your trailer registered. When we have that problem up here, we go to a different office, and register it as U-built (home made). We also then do not pay tax on the labour, which is more than 90% of the claimed cost, :lol:

What you might do is have someone you know in a different state try to register it with your paperwork and title, and then sell it back to you. Then you might get past the PA DMV.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 am

I know it's a headache for you, but have you considered registering it as a homebuilt trailer? I have done this in both Texas and Washington state, it was easy both times, took it to an inspection center, they checked it was safe and met the legal requirements, then then issued a VIN# and I took that paperwork to the vehicle registration office and left 30 minutes later with a titled trailer.. You shouldn't need to do this as you bought a road legal trailer to begin with, but if you have lost a year of use and are getting no where with the manufacturer, I would look into this, a bit more leg work for you, but it could get your trailer legal very quickly.

Gary

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:50 am

Thrasherg echoed my thoughts exactly. I built a trailer in 2000 and the lady at the registration office window turned out to be a Goldwing back seater wanted the picture I took down there to show her husband. Five minutes of frendly conversation and I had a new state tag in my hand.

twostrokes48
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing 1500 trike
75 GL1000 (restoring)
98 Goldwing with landing gear (for sale)
94 Goldwing 1500- towpac trike (sold)
88 Goldwing 1500- (sold)
84 GL1200 Aspy-SOLD
75 GL1000(stolen 87)
88 GW trike (totaled)
1972 750k2

Postby twostrokes48 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:33 pm

I agree with the "homebuilt" idea...I own 4 trailers, 3 were tagged as homebuilt. The only one with actual title was one I bought from Harbor Fraight. All the others are just registered as homebuilt and have no vin or title, but I register them no problem every year.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Gosh darn it, you guy's are way too smart, I was gonna say to register it as home made but you beat me to the draw :shock: ...I totally agree...I would have done that after the first issue with it....It's a shame the trailer was damaged or the parts were delivered messed up like that.. :D Viking has him the neatest little trailer I ever did see I think, if I were a Countryboy I'd really want the horse trailer one, I like it, also the one with the shocks, neato man.. :D

jjwingo
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Postby jjwingo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:34 am

I see that this is an old post. So I bought my trailer about 3 years ago. I did not have any problem registering it in Penn at the time, they went and looked at the trailer and wrote some numbers down and poof registered, was easier than registering my truck.

So my trailer has been up and down the east coast, and from Rhode Island to Idaho. The only thing I had to really pay attention to was the wheel alignment. When you mount the wheels make sure your alignment is right. I took mine to a tire shop and we worked out how to put it on the rack and get the wheels aligned. I noticed this in the first few months because I see one wheel wearing a little more than the other. Was a very subtle thing. As far as shipping and condition, Mine came in a big wooden crate and was in exemplary condition. But frankly mine gets the hell used out of it. Its got rub marks on the lid now from carrying chairs, coolers, tents, fishing poles, my mountain bike, even a half beer keg (get funny looks from the Tennessee highway patrol) and rub marks on the front from coolers, and bbq grills (yes bbq grill I camp in style!).

The other thing is keeping the lid water tight on the road. I usually have my tent and campchair on the lid, but in a heavy rain or long ride (say maybe across indiana and ohio in the non stop rain) without anything on the lid some moisture does seep into the box a little. A simple strap has fixed this.

I live in New Mexico now, and registration here has been a snap, also I had it registered in KY for awhile as well. Otherwise my trailer has been a great buy so far.

mudplug
Motorcycle: 1989 HONDA GOLDWING
ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Postby mudplug » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:02 am

It was really interesting to read about Trailer registration and VIN numbers etc, in England UK we dont need to do any of this! no trailer needs to be registered or even insured for that matter, we just buy/build one and use it :-) so my heart goes out to you guy's over the pond.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:19 am

mudplug wrote:It was really interesting to read about Trailer registration and VIN numbers etc, in England UK we dont need to do any of this! no trailer needs to be registered or even insured for that matter, we just buy/build one and use it :-) so my heart goes out to you guy's over the pond.

Not all of us have that problem. Registration is state regulated. Here in Oklahoma the only trailers that have to be registered are RV type. Cargo trailers don't require reg.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:11 pm

I've usually got a trailer tag or two laying around. I'll just stick one of those on whatever trailer I'm using. :lol:
Oh, they are registered to me and they're non-expiring plates so I guess I'm supposed to use them til I expire. :lol:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “Camping and Trailers”