I was bored, so I built this

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

I was bored, so I built this

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:42 am

Like the title says I was bored. when I get bored I like to either build something or demolish something. Momma said that I cant demolish anymore of the house until I finish putting the livingroom back together, Ya right, like thats going to happen soon.

So after surfing around the net and getting a few pictures downloaded into the laptop I headed out to the man cave With my "new" to me Travelcade seat in hand. Where I proceded to take it all apart. Why you ask? Go ahead ask ,I will wait..................... I have all day you know.................. I am glad you asked I wanted three things from this seat. 1. comfort being built in I shouldnt have to modify that yet. 2. I wanted heat, it gets cold sometimes and I hate cold. and 3. I wanted a back rest. And not one of those that has the bars on the outside of the seat. I wanted a Utopia backrest.
These seemed reasonable things to expect from my new seat. Did I mention that I am a cheap S.O.B.? So with the aforementioned pics on the laptop I dig through my piles of "stuff" (wife says junk) and come up with enough materials to make my own version of a Utopia brand backrest,a little bend ,bend weld ,weld and there it is ready to install. Cant do that just yet, still need to add heat. Using a 15 foot piece of resistance wire from my old heated vest I made an insert that I glued to the drivers seat area and put the seat skin back on. My butt and the "boys" will be toasty warm when needed. I even put a heating element in the back rest. This is what I ended up with

I still need to learn how to sew vinyal so I can make a new cover instead of this one from an interstate trunk which is a little small and the wrong shape. Over all I am pleased with how this is turning out. Now if only I had a couple more inches of leg room. More bending and welding and I now have another notch for my seat to go farther back. Only problem is that the tounge doesnt reach to the groove any more. easy fix more welding. Now I have this large gap between the tank and the seat, I have always hated that gap. So I built a filler piece out of a spare damaged seat I had laying around. I will post pics on that when its all put back together again. I might even make a few extras if there is any interest.

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

RoadRogue

Re: I was bored, so I built this

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:52 am

Oh ya it does this too
Attachments
folded down
folded down
Ride safe, Todd

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:30 am

Very nice!! I like the folding part.

I did something similar for my wife's bike last summer. She wanted a backrest, and they just don't make them for her little 250. So I found one cheap online meant for some other bike, and with a fair bit of cutting, bending, filing, repainting, etc. I came up with this:

Virago with seat back
Virago with seat back

The trunk is also my addition - an eBay special, I removed the seat back and replaced it with this bolt-on trunk.

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:56 pm

Nice job both of you. Now how do I get one of you to make me a nice seat back so the wifey will feel more comfortable on our ride? lol ;)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:34 pm

This is the early prototype of my current project-in-progress. But I'm not going to say anything about it yet until I'm quite a bit farther along. :)

My project
My project

fysty-1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 I with LTD body

Postby fysty-1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Hey Todd , that looks great. I did something along those lines with my Corbin. Only mind had a b/r built in like your but doesn't fold. Have to pull it out for Dani to board. What I did to mine was take a wedge about 2x2 off of both sides of the seat portion to allow for more leg length to the ground ( me being a short ass) but the 3 months later converted to a trike. oh well still works. Oh you better be careful about you LR ot the missus will be calling HGTV & they may send Brian Bueamller(?) your way. :lol: :lol: :lol: I am doing a channeling job on the rear of the trike frame cover to allow for more clearance & visability for Baby's taillights. Here is my other project.
Attachments
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Really neat stuff there Todd, funny stuff too...Both the backrests look great guy's.... :D

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:47 pm

WingAdmin wrote:This is the early prototype of my current project-in-progress. But I'm not going to say anything about it yet until I'm quite a bit farther along. :)

Teensy.jpg

Now that is some bread board ...
WA9FWT Phil

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:00 pm

RoadRogue wrote:Oh ya it does this too

I like the seat thats way in the back of the picture. :lol: :lol:
Now to get serious. I like the way you have the seat raised for the boys !
I had my seat redone when I needed it lowered, to keep from falling over :lol: but now I added a wheel kit to the bike,and I find that my
boys end up all the time on the False tank.I took the seat back to ask them if they could get it looking like yours again.
And they said No.( I guess they removed too much stuffing ) So I left. Not sure if I should try and do it my self,or should I just live with it ?

fysty-1

Postby fysty-1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:45 pm

WA9FWT wrote:

I had my seat redone when I needed it lowered, to keep from falling over :lol: but now I added a wheel kit to the bike,and I find that my
boys end up all the time on the False tank.I took the seat back to ask them if they could get it looking like yours again.
And they said No.( I guess they removed too much stuffing ) So I left. Not sure if I should try and do it my self,or should I just live with it ?

That's a nice looking Aspy you have there & the right color as well. I have gone the same way. A quad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HD light are gone & there will be 3" channeling of the rear cover to allow for more taillight visibilty.  Exhaust will exit where lights are now.
HD light are gone & there will be 3" channeling of the rear cover to allow for more taillight visibilty. Exhaust will exit where lights are now.
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:50 pm

WingAdmin wrote:This is the early prototype of my current project-in-progress. But I'm not going to say anything about it yet until I'm quite a bit farther along. :)

Teensy.jpg

What in the World..??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:20 am

Teensy.jpg

First of all I have no idea what you are building there ,but if I had to guess it would be a multi output heat controler for all types of electric clothing. IE. adjust Item A(grips) for0- 100%, select Item B( vest) ,adjust to 0-100%, Select Item C(seat) adjust to 0-100% ETC.

If not then I dont know what it is, Not a bad idea though, Hmmmmmm
Ride safe, Todd

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 am

WA9FWT wrote:

Redoing your seat till you get it the way you want it isnt that hard . It just takes some time to get it perfect Go to this site and read all about it

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

One of the tricks that works very well is when you need to shape the foam freeze it over night (no water needed) and use a grinder with a 50 grit flex disk. Do it outside, it will snow foam dust everywhere. And for gods sake keep a good grip on the grinder,if it slips you will remove alot of foam in a hurry. If you do take out too much just glue a piece back on. I once used a piece of 1" neoprene stadium seat pad( Walmart) for a comfort layer under the seat skin, way cheaper than gel ( did I mention I am cheap?)
Ride safe, Todd

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 pm

RoadRogue wrote:First of all I have no idea what you are building there ,but if I had to guess it would be a multi output heat controler for all types of electric clothing. IE. adjust Item A(grips) for0- 100%, select Item B( vest) ,adjust to 0-100%, Select Item C(seat) adjust to 0-100% ETC.

That's one of its functions, yes. :)

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:54 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
RoadRogue wrote:First of all I have no idea what you are building there ,but if I had to guess it would be a multi output heat controler for all types of electric clothing. IE. adjust Item A(grips) for0- 100%, select Item B( vest) ,adjust to 0-100%, Select Item C(seat) adjust to 0-100% ETC.

That's one of its functions, yes. :)

Keep us guessing, which is fine. :o :o
WA9FWT Phil

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:34 pm

That's one of its functions, yes. :)[/quote]

Then sign me up as a tester/first customer.
Ride safe, Todd

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:17 pm

RoadRogue wrote:That's one of its functions, yes. :)

Then sign me up as a tester/first customer.[/quote]
If you got mice, it could be the best mouse trap ever built ! :lol:

WA9FWT Phil

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 pm

RoadRogue wrote:Then sign me up as a tester/first customer.

Well I wasn't really looking at it as a product - just something for myself. But...I've started companies before by doing that exact same thing. :)

RoadRogue

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:52 pm

come on folks there has to be more of you out there that have ongoing projects. Im talking about the smaller ones, not the " from the ground up "restorations. The little things we do to make our rides more comfortable for ourselves.Or just because we can.

I have a Nitrous kit that has been talking to me for awhile. "come on,you know you wanna".........................Extra 40 HP at the touch of a button
Ride safe, Todd

WA9FWT
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:01 pm

RoadRogue wrote:come on folks there has to be more of you out there that have ongoing projects. Im talking about the smaller ones, not the " from the ground up "restorations. The little things we do to make our rides more comfortable for ourselves.Or just because we can.

I have a Nitrous kit that has been talking to me for awhile. "come on,you know you wanna".........................Extra 40 HP at the touch of a button

"Todd....NO NO NO don't play with that Nitrous stuff, you will not be able to stay between the lines :lol: :lol:

WA9FWT...Phil

fysty-1

Postby fysty-1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:44 pm

I really wish I had artist skills so I could show you all my next major project. I looking to get a decent cutoff saw (like an angle grinder but with a saw blade) But will probably end up using a 4" A/G with a cut off disc mounted. I need to section out a portion of the frame cover for the Voyager so that it doesn't sit so high & block the tail lights on Baby. I am taking 3" out of the reat & along the sides will be a pie shape piece to align this up with. Then of course it will mean putting it back together & fortunately for me it is made of glass so I will have no problems doing this as I am quite experienced with glass. The area that is bumped out (where the old H-D lights were is where the exhaust will exit the rear of the bike. I have left the H-D look a like lights on the fenders for now until I can find something that is more fittig for a lady as baby Blue. I've go a couple of pic & I am sorry the one is so blurred but youget the drift. The pic of the whole unit w/fenders is straight copy from Voyagers web page.
Attachments
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Teensy.jpg

You went over the $100 limit at DigiKey again,didn't you :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:21 pm

virgilmobile wrote:You went over the $100 limit at DigiKey again,didn't you :lol:

Are you kidding? I don't think I've ever had an order from them below $100. They know me by name, I'm sure. :)

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Lets make it smaller and menu button selectable.Some cool stuff here.http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/swi ... martswitch

vtxcandyred
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:43 pm

RoadRogue wrote:come on folks there has to be more of you out there that have ongoing projects. Im talking about the smaller ones, not the " from the ground up "restorations. The little things we do to make our rides more comfortable for ourselves.Or just because we can.

I'm in the midst of running some permanant electrical plugs to the front and the rear so I can eliminate all the EXTRA wires I've run for lights and so forth. I'm also trying to eliminate the cluster that the previous owner had installed for the extras HE had put on. Its a slow progress. I DON'T like to flub up on an electrical circuit. That can be BAD!!!!!!!!!! I might TRY the seat when I'm through with this. About the ONLY thing I'll try is to incorporate the seat cusions I already use under the cover. I'm very hesitant about that. I'm NOT that skilled.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”