Modular Helmet

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda 650i Interstate

Modular Helmet

Postby CoopGuy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:09 pm

I have a good Shoei full face helmet that I like but was wondering of other riders opinion of a modular helmet. I thought it might be good for casual riding and I've heard they are being made much better. Comments?

Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Re: Modular Helmet

Postby 86GW1200 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Shoie is a bit out of my budget - but I have a modular and I like it. I have an HJC. It is a little loud at highway speeds as far as the wind goes. As far as I know - most of the modulars are that way.

Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:22 pm

I haven't got a full face but much perfere it when I had one. I like the ability of the modular to raise it up and not have to remove the helmet if you want to talk to some one.

Motorcycle: 2005 Goldwing W/ABS

Postby munds » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Like the other member Shoei helmet are out of my pice range but I do ride with a modular helmet in the late fall

winter and early spring I do like the helmet and seeing I were glasses it very easy to put them on and take them off with the helmet

on and every once in awhile I like a cigar and you can easyly smoke on with a modular on.

As far as the wind there is some at highway speed the convenience of the helmet out ways the wind problem.

Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Postby cardinal » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:47 pm

I have a modular that I enjoy for all the reasons stated above........except the cigar thing, never got the hang of smoking while I was riding back in my smoking days. My helmet also has a tinted inner visor which flips down and takes the place of sunglasses. I'm thinking of getting their "Transition" model which allows the face of the helmet to roll all the way back to the back so you have the same less restricted vision as you do with a 3/4 helmet. That'd be great for those slow rides through Yosemite.

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby wally » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:42 pm

I also have an HJC modular with the Bluetooth headset, I'd give it a fair to good rating, I like the easy one button flip up shield and the built in slide down sun screen, also the ability to partially flip up the shield at low speed riding for some fresh air. The only drawback is the wind noise, I would like to compare a high end modular helmet and see how much quieter theirs are or if they are!

Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:44 pm

I've been using a Schuberth Concept for a number of years, pre Goldwing ownership. Really like it but it was pretty expensive.

My biggest compliant is I can't put communication into it and because of the expense of the helmet I'm not ready to cast it aside for something else for communication.

Check out Web Bike World. There are numerous helmet test reports on there.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Return to “Goldwing Chat”